The All Things Political Topic - As a Bright Lord bears Beacons of flame.

Amentep

12 hours ago, Gorth said:

Honest government ads at it again... (for those who can't stomach Greta Thunberg, she's just a cameo at the end)

If you can't handle a teenager lecturing politicians about their incompetence, there is something seriously wrong with you. It is a delight.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

16 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

If you can't handle a teenager lecturing politicians about their incompetence, there is something seriously wrong with you. It is a delight.

Its not that, she is a kid just repeating what we already  know 

Saying " blah, blah , blah " isnt clever or insightful ...its irritating and unhelpful. Kids dont know more than adults, thats not the way it works 

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

for those unaware, trump keeps losing court cases, the latest o' which is dealing with the extent to which o' a President no longer in office may exercise executive privilege.

ouchie.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am thinking is likely trump never thought he would win this or other cases, particular with the d-list attorneys he has representing him at the moment. this is all 'bout delay. IF trump is able to stretch out the process long enough for republicans to take back control o' Congress, then is a functional win for trump even if he loses every case.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

for those unaware, trump keeps losing court cases, the latest o' which is dealing with the extent to which o' a President no longer in office may exercise executive privilege.

ouchie.

HA! Good Fun!

ps am thinking is likely trump never thought he would win this or other cases, particular with the d-list attorneys he has representing him at the moment. this is all 'bout delay. IF trump is able to stretch out the process long enough for republicans to take back control o' Congress, then is a functional win for trump even if he loses every case.

And if the Republicans do take back control of Congress whose fault would that be ?

We not going to blame Trump for that right and bemoan the state of Democracy in the USA? I find there is  lots of scapegoating and finger pointing in the USA when political parties lose elections and not enough " what did we do wrong when we were in charge and how did we lose votes  "

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

23 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

And if the Republicans do take back control of Congress whose fault would that be ?

We not going to blame Trump for that right and bemoan the state of Democracy in the USA? I find there is  lots of scapegoating and finger pointing in the USA when political parties lose elections and not enough " what did we do wrong when we were in charge and how did we lose votes  "

Q9MkaSO.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

6 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Q9MkaSO.gif

You  know that saying Pidesco " many a true word is said in jest " ;)

John Milton 

Well, dems are in a path of losing midterms badly, and they have no-one else than themselves to blame for it. 

Printed money, excessive debt, leading to inflation. 

Crazy energy politics, which is disconnected from the reality, and drives energy prices higher. 

Mishandling of migrant crisis at southern border (Kamala's first misstep as well!) 

Self flaggelanting on historical aspects to a point of condeming founding fathers. 

Suburb mothers realizing that supporting dems will lose their children equal opportunity treatment (segregation of score thersholds by race, dems telling parents they should have no agency on what their kids are being learnt in regards to identity politics, allowing trans biological males to push out biological females from sports) 

Hypocrisy on virus policies and actions (politicians unmasked on various social events while forcing working class out of jobs) 

And hypocrisy on climate policies, by letting billionairs produce more carbon footprint with a single entertainment spaceflight, than majority of people would produce in their lifetime, etc. Making it look like they and their rich friends are a privilaged class (top 1% produce more carbon footprint than bottom 50%, but you don't see them cutting on international travels, large mansions, large energy consumption, private jets and yachts, etc. )

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

should who has control o' Congress matter? if were a tornado that hit the Capitol on January 6 and hundreds o' police officers and civilians were injured, some serious, there would be investigations. nevertheless, 'cause is deemed political and potential embarrassing to one party, the fate o' investigations dependent on a small number o' votes in a handful o' states?

more remote but still concerning, why should criminal investigations stop for trump if he gets reelected?  is nothing actual in the Constitution which says such, but from a practical pov, is not deemed advisable to have a criminal trial o' a sitting President. so trump gets away with anything and everything based on the votes o' the electorate? potential a few thousand votes in a couple states decides guilt or innocence? is exact what the founders were trying to avoid when they s-canned athenian democracy as the model for the Constitution. 

your question is irrelevant to our observation, or it should be.

edit:

this has so not been a they are all the same scenario. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-principal-forced-resign-over-005339525.html

I feel sorry for this guy. The CRT panic is one of the dumbest things to come out of 2021 and I hope all the kiddos grow up to hate their dumbass parents.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-principal-forced-resign-over-005339525.html

I feel sorry for this guy. The CRT panic is one of the dumbest things to come out of 2021 and I hope all the kiddos grow up to hate their dumbass parents.

It sounds like they gave him a two year paid vacation as part of the settlement to avoid lawsuits, so at least there's that? :shrugz:

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Trouble brewing at the Polish/Belorussian border...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59237413

Short version of the whole story, Lukashenko who managed (with the help of the military) to hang on to power after he most likely lost the previous election, decided it is payback time against Europe for the sanctions imposed on him. Inviting thousand of immigrants from Asia and Africa to come to Minsk with promises of easy access and guaranteed asylum in Germany and other EU countries.

All a ruse of course. Once they got close to the border with Poland, Belorussian military seized all communication devices and forced them at gunpoint towards the border. This is not just any border, but the closest you come to a wasteland in this part of the world. No habitation, nothing to live off, no shelter, nada, nothing, nix, null, njet. Now they have a choice between freezing to death, starve to death, get shot by Belorussian soldiers... or try to force their way into Poland.

Well, Poland will have none of it, thousands of illegal immigrants suddenly showing up at their border and (obviously) said "You shall not pass!".

Putin... most likely the mastermind behind it (let's face it, Lukashenko is too stupid to think up something like that himself), came up with the brilliant suggestion: You can just pay Belarus! After all, nobody had any qualms about paying Turkey a lot of money for keeping the migrants on their side of the border. Why not pay Belarus in the same way?

I.e. it's all about blackmail.

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

16 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

It sounds like they gave him a two year paid vacation as part of the settlement to avoid lawsuits, so at least there's that? :shrugz:

As strange as it seems to me, it seems like he actually likes his job. The replacement will probably be an **** who rants about how segregation was actually good on his private social media.

Edit: I totally misread your post lmao. I'm tired and should stick to JoJo memes or Fat Fuu jokes.

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

9 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Short version of the whole story, Lukashenko who managed (with the help of the military) to hang on to power after he most likely lost the previous election, decided it is payback time against Europe for the sanctions imposed on him. Inviting thousand of immigrants from Asia and Africa to come to Minsk with promises of easy access and guaranteed asylum in Germany and other EU countries.

All a ruse of course. Once they got close to the border with Poland, Belorussian military seized all communication devices and forced them at gunpoint towards the border. This is not just any border, but the closest you come to a wasteland in this part of the world. No habitation, nothing to live off, no shelter, nada, nothing, nix, null, njet. Now they have a choice between freezing to death, starve to death, get shot by Belorussian soldiers... or try to force their way into Poland.

Well, Poland will have none of it, thousands of illegal immigrants suddenly showing up at their border and (obviously) said "You shall not pass!".

Putin... most likely the mastermind behind it (let's face it, Lukashenko is too stupid to think up something like that himself), came up with the brilliant suggestion: You can just pay Belarus! After all, nobody had any qualms about paying Turkey a lot of money for keeping the migrants on their side of the border. Why not pay Belarus in the same way?

Hah, they picked the most nationalistic state in this part of EU. 

Putin knew what he is doing. He is making sure that anti-EU, anti-woke, super conservative party will stay in power in Poland, by stoking border fears and weaponizing various migrants. 

Personally, I'm a bit torn apart. On a one hand, what those people experience is often inhumane. On the other hand, they chose such a route instead of using regular ways for asylum seekers with use of consulates at countries such as Iraq or Turkey or even Iran. 

I'd open a series of small border post, where people would get processed and accept in the christian syrians and kurds as those are oppressed in their home country. Accept also full families from Syria and Afghanistan, and send the rest back to the country of origin (especially young, single men). Those, who cannot be vetted at such posts and dont want to be sent back to any middle east country, send back to Belarus. 

• Thanks 1

Are media shooting themselves in the leg again, and provide more fuel for potential return of Trump? 

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/supercut-msm-condemns-kyle-rittenhouse-terrorist

Don't knownthe full case here, but I'm sure, our resident with some more legal expertise would be able to say more about the whole process and case itself

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Meh, Lukashenko is more than capable of doing such things himself. He was very good at playing off Russia and the EU against each other up until recently, in what amounted to blackmail, or at least bid inflation.

What he wants fundamentally is for the EU to talk to him, because as soon as they do they've acknowledged that he's still President and they've lost. Anything further is a bonus. Antagonising the countries that are hosting the opposition is, of course, also a massive positive so far as he's concerned.

Putin is being Putin, and one thing Putin loves is a good troll.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm not sure that is much consolation for derailing a career that took about 8 years of college, multiple years in the classroom, and then the slow climb up the administration ladder. Hopefully he can work in another district, because it isn't like principal jobs translate well into other fields of work. 

1 hour ago, Darkpriest said:

Are media shooting themselves in the leg again, and provide more fuel for potential return of Trump? 

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/supercut-msm-condemns-kyle-rittenhouse-terrorist

Don't knownthe full case here, but I'm sure, our resident with some more legal expertise would be able to say more about the whole process and case itself

MSNBC is very liberal, so I'm not sure they represent the entirety of the media. 

Terrorist is a stupid term to use, but I don't get the hero worship he gets on the other side of the aisle. That seems even more dangerous. He was a dumb kid who crossed state lines with a gun to take part in a counter protest and then got into an altercation, and people died. It's a sad story nd it should be a cautionary tale. 

2 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

It's about a young man who normally hangs out with his alt right friends and local white supremacy militia men, who decided that somebody in another state, far away was doing something wrong. So, of course he had to bring his semi automatic rifle, because you know, that protects buildings against graffiti and helps little old ladies cross the road or something. Alternatively, he brought it with the intent to kill people and impress his local militia friends by being a tough guy standing up for "American" values, killing people who are unhappy with the police killing a disproportionate number of unarmed black people. They have to be communists after all. That's what Trump says. So killing them is fair game. Now he's sobbing in court, probably feeling butt hurt and absolutely flabbergasted that he would be charged. After all, the only thing he did was kill un-American dross.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

This is an interesting story

Poland and the EU are 100% correct to not allow themselves to be blackmailed by Lukashenko with Russia backing, Putin plays a role as Lukashenko wouldn't still be in power as another example of a dictator and failed socialist experiment without support from Russia....but this is a Belarus primarily created issue

The arrangement with Turkey is not the same as this egregious blackmail, that agreement everyone understands and supports and Turkey is getting paid to host illegal immigrants for processing and they are not just guaranteed to get citizenship in the EU. This Belarus facade is just abuse of immigrants and playing geopolitics with peoples lives

And of course part of  the way it is covered on certain international news channels is " what is the  EU  going to do about it....this is a human rights issue " and as usual the actual cause is ignored. This is a Belarus\Russia created issue, why dont human rights lawyers focus on them as a solution? For example why doesnt Russia allow these illegal immigrants into their country? Problem solved

And finally as I have raised for years now when you have mass, illegal immigration to countries like the US, EU, SA and Australia you will notice the general solution from liberals and human rights lawyers is always the same and completely counterproductive...they dont want to address the source of the problem which is failed and ineffective governments that immigrants come from. No they expect countries that dont have failed leadership  to absorb these citizens

Its not sustainable and for many people its unacceptable and this is never going to acceptable 

John Milton 

3 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Putin is being Putin, and one thing Putin loves is a good troll.

I realize this latest immigration crisis is just Internet armchair politics to you and the word " troll " you think is  appropriate 

But its about peoples lives and futures and its about resources. So no Putin is not a " troll , thats not a real word we use in geopolitics and in  any RL political crisis 

John Milton 

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

It's about a young man who normally hangs out with his alt right friends and local white supremacy militia men, who decided that somebody in another state, far away was doing something wrong. So, of course he had to bring his semi automatic rifle, because you know, that protects buildings against graffiti and helps little old ladies cross the road or something. Alternatively, he brought it with the intent to kill people and impress his local militia friends by being a tough guy standing up for "American" values, killing people who are unhappy with the police killing a disproportionate number of unarmed black people. They have to be communists after all. That's what Trump says. So killing them is fair game. Now he's sobbing in court, probably feeling butt hurt and absolutely flabbergasted that he would be charged. After all, the only thing he did was kill un-American dross.

we never commented on the law aspect o' this 'cause, as we always caution, what you don't know has an excellent chance o' making you look like an idjit if you start drawing conclusions based on what you believe to be true. you folks is no doubt bored o' our repetition on this point, but am gonna once again observe how is always best to wait for facts to come out which may be relevant.

however, if a seventeen-year-old illegal acquires a lethal weapon and crosses state lines with the implied (and expressed) intent o' confronting protesters, some o' whom he had to have known could also be armed with lethal weapons, is anybody shocked when the news related to such a story is gonna involve bloodshed? call accident or tragedy ignores how utter predictable is calamity when you add firearms, multiple angry people and a large dose o' stupid. for chrissakes, even @Guard Dog wasn't defending the common sense and reasonableness o' kyle rittenhouse. were never any facts which were gonna come to light which somehow dispelled the recklessness o' kyle rittenhouse. were no facts which revealed were gonna make us more sympathetic save possible discovering kyle were severe mental/emotional impaired and responsible adults encouraged his behaviour as 'posed to discouraged, but that were never the narrative. doesn't matter if the would-be vigilante is guilty or innocent as a matter o' law. the kid is an a-hole who displayed worst possible judgement.

is another observation we make frequent regarding people confusing legal with concepts such as moral, justice or right. legal exoneration is not transformative. a bad person does not sudden become admirable 'cause o' an acquittal. less common but still possible is for the moral and right choice to lead to legal punishment. too many people is invested in court verdicts as if such is some kinda barometer o' rightness. bad cop going to prison proves he were bad? if kyle goes free it proves the libs were wrong 'bout the unnecessary dangers o' armed civilian militias confronting protesters? 

we were never interested in this case 'cause it didn't matter to us. we didn't need for kyle to go to prison as if such would be vindication o' protests. samewise we don't fear acquittal will make mr. rittenhouse less... douchey. seeing as how there is no particular unique or compelling question o' law involved in the case, am current disinterested save for our general disquiet regarding how a derpy punk could become symbolic or emblematic o' a political movement.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

46 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

we never commented on the law aspect o' this 'cause, as we always caution, what you don't know has an excellent chance o' making you look like an idjit if you start drawing conclusions based on what you believe to be true. you folks is no doubt bored o' our repetition on this point, but am gonna once again observe how is always best to wait for facts to come out which may be relevant.

however, if a seventeen-year-old illegal acquires a lethal weapon and crosses state lines with the implied (and expressed) intent o' confronting protesters, some o' whom he had to have known could also be armed with lethal weapons, is anybody shocked when the news related to such a story is gonna involve bloodshed? call accident or tragedy ignores how utter predictable is calamity when you add firearms, multiple angry people and a large dose o' stupid. for chrissakes, even @Guard Dog wasn't defending the common sense and reasonableness o' kyle rittenhouse. were never any facts which were gonna come to light which somehow dispelled the recklessness o' kyle rittenhouse. were no facts which revealed were gonna make us more sympathetic save possible discovering kyle were severe mental/emotional impaired and responsible adults encouraged his behaviour as 'posed to discouraged, but that were never the narrative. doesn't matter if the would-be vigilante is guilty or innocent as a matter o' law. the kid is an a-hole who displayed worst possible judgement.

is another observation we make frequent regarding people confusing legal with concepts such as moral, justice or right. legal exoneration is not transformative. a bad person does not sudden become admirable 'cause o' an acquittal. less common but still possible is for the moral and right choice to lead to legal punishment. too many people is invested in court verdicts as if such is some kinda barometer o' rightness. bad cop going to prison proves he were bad? if kyle goes free it proves the libs were wrong 'bout the unnecessary dangers o' armed civilian militias confronting protesters? 

we were never interested in this case 'cause it didn't matter to us. we didn't need for kyle to go to prison as if such would be vindication o' protests. samewise we don't fear acquittal will make mr. rittenhouse less... douchey. seeing as how there is no particular unique or compelling question o' law involved in the case, am current disinterested save for our general disquiet regarding how a derpy punk could become symbolic or emblematic o' a political movement.

HA! Good Fun!

I tend to agree, he is a very bad example to  make a stand for the some on the right 

He sets a very low bar and he does represent " a derpy punk " 

John Milton 

On this day in 1918, a war ended. A war that was all about patriotism and how great your local nation state is. Keep this in mind if you ever cheer on somebody banging the patriot drums, trying to summon support for a dubious agenda.

The promises of patriotism...

DDhXtF0.jpg

The lure of patriotism...

5cokHnG.jpg

The dawning reality of patriotism...

pDKHEYn.jpg

The reality of patriotism (warning, reality is not pretty, in fact, it's brutal, gruesome and visually disturbing)

LlMVw3h.jpg

iNkLm1H.jpg

U2vI2X7.jpg

From Ypres over Somme to Verdun. Millions of young men killed for the glory of their nation states...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gorth said:

On this day in 1918, a war ended. A war that was all about patriotism and how great your local nation state is. Keep this in mind if you ever cheer on somebody banging the patriot drums, trying to summon support for a dubious agenda.

The promises of patriotism...

DDhXtF0.jpg

The lure of patriotism...

5cokHnG.jpg

The dawning reality of patriotism...

pDKHEYn.jpg

The reality of patriotism (warning, reality is not pretty, in fact, it's brutal, gruesome and visually disturbing)

Reveal hidden contents

LlMVw3h.jpg

iNkLm1H.jpg

U2vI2X7.jpg

From Ypres over Somme to Verdun. Millions of young men killed for the glory of their nation states...

Armistice\Remembrance day is always remembered actively by my UK family because in the UK its about the sacrifice and deaths of millions of people in the UK who died in various wars since WW1. Most of the men in my UK family  attend the memorial day today and wear poppies for November. We have several grandparents and great grandparents who died in WW1&WW2 

In SA we keep forgetting to attend any memorial days, if they even held and I am not sure they are,  but its understandable because its not really remembered in the same way so I dont feel guilty 

John Milton