2021 Olympic Games Tokyo

kirottu

The Swedish women's football team is looking very good. The US side seems... out of form. I've rarely seen their passing be so sloppy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Laurel Hubbard fails to medal

well that’s going to upset the narrative a little bit LOL. Hell, even I was expecting a South Park moment.

• Gasp! 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well, US lost to Canada in women's football.  Hope Canada doesn't win the final, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

Well, US lost to Canada in women's football.  Hope Canada doesn't win the final, though.

Why? Who are you cheering for?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Being around disappointed sports fans is better than being around happy ones, therefore anyone but Canada.  Hopefully Sweden can win it, not looking forward to endless raving about Sinclair being the greatest or whatever.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

image.thumb.jpeg.430e480efe4e656c71d8fe05cfd2254d.jpeg

• Haha 6

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

9 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Laurel Hubbard fails to medal

well that’s going to upset the narrative a little bit LOL. Hell, even I was expecting a South Park moment.

Might upset an agenda based narrative, but the best that was expected of her here was maybe a bronze. She was well behind at least two other lifters in terms of form and PB. And as I mentioned elsewhere, there was never any question of her transitioning just to get an advantage which is the usual knee jerk accusation.

I do hope the olympics now do a proper review of their guidelines instead of ad hocing everything. Compare the situations of Hubbard and Semenya and it makes the organisation look extraordinarily stupid.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

image.thumb.jpeg.430e480efe4e656c71d8fe05cfd2254d.jpeg

First of he wasn't commenting on her, he was asked if he was under pressure because of the golden slam. Second of all Simone Biles quit because she was coming down off of Ritalin and Novak quit because he has a shoulder injury and was probably exhausted. The guy who won the gold smashed his racket too in his match vs Djokovic, but he didn't get any media attention. But sure hate on Djokovic all you want.

For whatever reason my Serbian friends don’t like Djokovic and always cheers for his opponent. Even when we went to see one of his matches live at Australian Open. Something about him seems to rub people the wrong way.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

55 minutes ago, Gorth said:

For whatever reason my Serbian friends don’t like Djokovic and always cheers for his opponent. Even when we went to see one of his matches live at Australian Open. Something about him seems to rub people the wrong way.

Most people like him in Serbia, I personally respect him, because he was a patriot in public when it was hardest to be one and probably damaged his image because of it.

A question you can feel free to ignore, what are your Serbian friends opinion on Serbia?

8 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Most people like him in Serbia, I personally respect him, because he was a patriot in public when it was hardest to be one and probably damaged his image because of it.

A question you can feel free to ignore, what are your Serbian friends opinion on Serbia?

I *think* they (or the wife at least) is a bit homesick for Serbia. They had planned to go back for an "extended vacation" this winter (that's summer time in Europe, i.e. July/August). Obviously not going to happen. We sometimes sit and watch pictures and google earth/streetview from her home town and hear the stories about them having to take cover when Nato planes were bombing the area.

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I *think* they (or the wife at least) is a bit homesick for Serbia. They had planned to go back for an "extended vacation" this winter (that's summer time in Europe, i.e. July/August). Obviously not going to happen. We sometimes sit and watch pictures and google earth/streetview from her home town and hear the stories about them having to take cover when Nato planes were bombing the area.

I ask because it's usually the Serbs who emigrate because they don't like the country or couldn't make it work here, dislike anyone who is patriotic or has anything good to say about Serbia. I am of course generalizing, but that seems to be the case most of the time. Then again some people just dislike him (I know a few).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

First of he wasn't commenting on her, he was asked if he was under pressure because of the golden slam. Second of all Simone Biles quit because she was coming down off of Ritalin and Novak quit because he has a shoulder injury and was probably exhausted. The guy who won the gold smashed his racket too in his match vs Djokovic, but he didn't get any media attention. But sure hate on Djokovic all you want.

Well his opponent didn't talk about "pressure being a privilege". Regardless of if he was speaking about Biles or not, it is pretty funny to see him act that way after saying that.

• Like 1

• I think the Biles connection came because the interviewer prefaced his question about Djokovic's own pressure seeking the Gold in context of his year so far with a comment mentioning Biles' statements upon withdrawing. 
  • "Pressure is a Privilege" is the title of a memoir by Billie Jean King, so makes sense as a phrase to discuss the pressures of tennis specifcally.
  • While there is no clear evidence one way or the other specific to Biles medication for ADHD, athletes have been given an exemption for medicines that were prescribed to them even if that medicine would otherwise be illegal in Japan as is typical with Olympic competitions.  While its not specifically known if Biles filed for permission to bring her ADHD medicine, since she had done so for Rio it makes sense she would have for Japan as well.
  • Djokovic's reaction was a bit over the top, but being injured during the Olympics is a big blow to his entire year, so I understand his frustration even if I don't really condone his method of venting that frustration (I'm not a fan of any of the racket abuse, shouting or other things that you see in pro-Tennis; didn't like it with John McEnroe, don't like it now).  Also to be fair understanding that you have to find constructive ways to deal with pressure and actually having a constructive way to deal with pressure aren't really the same thing.
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Would be funny if he injured himself abusing his racket. :lol:

• Haha 1

That would be really sad.  I guess ironic funny, but also sad. :( 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Well his opponent didn't talk about "pressure being a privilege". Regardless of if he was speaking about Biles or not, it is pretty funny to see him act that way after saying that.

Tbh, I find the picture funny without the fake newz narrative that he was ****-talking. But lets be honest out of all the tennis players I think that he is qualified to talk about playing under pressure, considering that most matches he plays the crowd is against him and the kind of matches he managed to win.

31 minutes ago, Amentep said:
  • While there is no clear evidence one way or the other specific to Biles medication for ADHD, athletes have been given an exemption for medicines that were prescribed to them even if that medicine would otherwise be illegal in Japan as is typical with Olympic competitions.  While its not specifically known if Biles filed for permission to bring her ADHD medicine, since she had done so for Rio it makes sense she would have for Japan as well.

Difference being that in Rio it wasn't know that she was taking Ritalin and now the Russians were pushing the story.

Edited by Sarex

Not sure why it'd matter that the Russians were pushing it; its my understanding the ADHD medicine is allowed for athletes (and that she was using it wouldn't be known had someone not leaked her medical report).

Biles won a Bronze on Balance Beam. Glad to see she got something for all the grief she had to take. There are times in life when you need to cowboy up buttercup and perform even when you don’t think you can. Amateur sports is not one of those. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

13 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Biles won a Bronze on Balance Beam. Glad to see she got something for all the grief she had to take. There are times in life when you need to cowboy up buttercup and perform even when you don’t think you can. Amateur sports is not one of those. 

Think her concern was getting injured.  Not sure one can HTFU against physics. 😛

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Not sure why it'd matter that the Russians were pushing it; its my understanding the ADHD medicine is allowed for athletes (and that she was using it wouldn't be known had someone not leaked her medical report).

Well there was more spotlight on it and maybe more pressure to not to allow it. In Japan Ritalin is not allowed. Even in the US it's not allowed in baseball as it's a performance enhancing drug.

Edited by Sarex

Pretty insane finals in 400 metres hurdles. The top 3 finishers all beat the previous world record. Norway usully fares much, much better at the winter olympics (obviously), but this was pretty neat!

Edited by Maedhros
  • Like 1