Jump to content

The State of Mind in the US


Skarpen

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

bEgE7LlS8MHPUeRpAysjBgozGx8KdGJW.png

Is that legit? 

 

not everyone is confortable with mental health issues unfortunately, so many go unreported. there's still a stigma about it, that I'd wager is bigger among conservatives. It's also why women have higher percentages than men. The attitude still too often is "manly men don't talk or are affected by such inconsequential things as feelings."

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It makes sense that liberals live rent free in some people's heads, I guess.

  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pidesco said:

 

not everyone is confortable with mental health issues unfortunately, so many go unreported. there's still a stigma about it, that I'd wager is bigger among conservatives. It's also why women have higher percentages than men. The attitude still too often is "manly men don't talk or are affected by such inconsequential things as feelings."

You make no sense. The question wasn't do you have mental health condition, the question was have a doctor or other health provider told you you have one.

166215__front.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Skarpen said:

You make no sense. The question wasn't do you have mental health condition, the question was have a doctor or other health provider told you you have one.

Hah, you say that like Americans go in for regular checkups and the doctors look for conditions. In the US, you develop the condition, and then if you feel up for paying the deductibles and co-pays, you go in to get treated. Duh. 😝

Liberals are much more likely to go to a doctor for mental stuff, is what that graph shows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Skarpen said:

They don't? That's rather irresponsible.

considering that a simple check up in USA could cost as much as a month's wages, its quite a big decision to have one. for most americans it's much more economic to get a plane ticket, fly to europe for vacation, have a full check up and get any medication they may need then fly home.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

 

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

 

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!


We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

 

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

^Considering that both of those sentences are patently false, its a good thing were in the funny thread so I can point and laugh at the ignorance lack of understanding. :lol:

lets have a price comparison to see how far off the mark i am. a panoramic x ray of your teeth in a private lab costs 20-25 euros here (just under $30) and its the full price with no cover from health insurance. how much does it cost in USA? to make the comparison more apples to apples, i'll include the minimum wage which is 3.5 euro/hour

k5rjj70fcjt61.jpg

Edited by teknoman2
  • Like 3

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

 

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

 

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!


We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

 

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, teknoman2 said:

lets have a price comparison to see how far off the mark i am. a panoramic x ray of your teeth in a private lab costs 20-25 euros here (just under $30) and its the full price with no cover from health insurance. how much does it cost in USA? to make the comparison more apples to apples, i'll include the minimum wage which is 3.5 euro/hour

 

It sounds like a simple question. How much does an x-ray cost? But this is what the answer looks like: https://affordablescan.com/x-ray/cost/california

Which is kind of a dark humor, I suppose. :p

  • Gasp! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I split the mental healthcare discussion into a thread of its own. Apologies to the people @Darkpriest & @teknoman2 who tried to post on topic stuff in their posts. I hope you'll repost the funny pics here

Also apologies to @ShadySandsand one more person, as i think I lost two posts for good while moving posts :blush:

  • Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/16/2021 at 11:40 PM, Skarpen said:

bEgE7LlS8MHPUeRpAysjBgozGx8KdGJW.png

Is that legit? 

It probably is...

As for what the numbers tells us? It tells us that conservatives are more likely to not seek professional help (and treatment) for their mental health issues. That would explain why Trump got so many votes 😛

As a group, they seem to be the most fearful and afraid, seeking refuge in places like flat earthers, qanon, the semi religious cult of trump etc. Anxiety is the no. 1 mental health issue in the US, affecting 40 million Americans (https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/facts-statistics)

They are probably more likely to seek help and advice from their (completely unqualified) pet priest than their GP. "Ooh, that sounds bad. Do five ave Marias and make a hefty donation upon leaving and you'll be fine"

Generally education tends to make you more "left leaning" in the US, whereas less educated people tend to be more conservative (Republican). Like Eeek science!  /make sign to ward off evil "go away!"

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2016/04/26/a-wider-ideological-gap-between-more-and-less-educated-adults/

 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Gorth said:

As for what the numbers tells us? It tells us that conservatives are more likely to not seek professional help (and treatment) for their mental health issues

I don't see anything about that in those numbers, but after reading your post I definitely agree the numbers are real. So, thanks. 

It seems most Americans actually do go for a checkup regardless of what you guys wrote. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/683751/frequency-of-doctors-visits-for-check-ups-by-age-us/

166215__front.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Standard checkups are normally included in your premiums. In my own experience, I've been told to be careful what you say because it can cross what's covered.

Anyways, my previous post about this is gone but everyone that I've known who has gotten some kind of mental health diagnosis has specifically asked to be referred or had their parents do the same. I've heard, from a friend that's a psych doc, that your GP is unlikely to refer you or even suggest such without you asking.

  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Standard checkups are normally included in your premiums. In my own experience, I've been told to be careful what you say because it can cross what's covered.

Anyways, my previous post about this is gone but everyone that I've known who has gotten some kind of mental health diagnosis has specifically asked to be referred or had their parents do the same. I've heard, from a friend that's a psych doc, that your GP is unlikely to refer you or even suggest such without you asking.

I don’t know how it is in the US, but in Australia, Denmark, Germany and the UK a GP (General practitioner doctor) is not qualified nor authorised to diagnose much less treat mental health issues. They can refer you to specialist like psychologists or psychiatrists, usually at your own request (or you can be sentenced to do so in a court of law)

edit: I think it’s the same in the land of the kiwis, but not sure 

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Link to comment
Share on other sites

am thinking folks is getting suckered in by skarpy_one and a meme he found somewhere on the arse end o' the internet.

atp wave 64 were a covid specific survey conducted by pew between march 19 and march 24, 2020. asked respondents views on school closures and international travel and the like. 

a quick looksee didn't reveal anything similar to the s'posed chart data from pew or from groups such as the nih which commented 'pon pew wave 64. the chart skapry offers clear ain't from pew, so one wonders what were actual data and the relevant questions regarding mental health, which again would be almost necessarily covid specific. 

am thinking until something a bit more concrete is offered, ordinary and prudent skepticism, particular o' anything provided by skarp_one, should make the question as to the chart data validity a non-starter. 

HA! Good Fun!

  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, teknoman2 said:

lets have a price comparison to see how far off the mark i am. a panoramic x ray of your teeth in a private lab costs 20-25 euros here (just under $30) and its the full price with no cover from health insurance. how much does it cost in USA? to make the comparison more apples to apples, i'll include the minimum wage which is 3.5 euro/hour

Gather round yall because Im about to blow your minds. Not only do you get an annual free panoramic x-ray from but you also get a free annual cleaning! But wait for it...wait for it.......our medial insurance provides one free annual checkup and our vision insurance includes one free annual eye exam. KAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOM GOES YOUR BRAIN!

You may now be asking yourself, "is it true? Does pharmabro really want to cradle my head to his warm chest and make coo-ing noises?" No. Pharmabro does this because it is in its own best interest to provide free preventative maintenance to its policy holders to try to catch things early.

But to go back to your earlier "lack of understanding":

a) All US residents must have insurance. Its the law. :yes:

b) All insurance plans have a "copay". Its usually around fiddy bucks, not in fact a months pay.

c) And this part is absolutely crucial, when attending any one of these checkups, the doctor will ask you "how you feel", and you should tell them. See, unlike European doctors, US doctors have not yet achieved the ability to diagnose mental conditions at a glance. They will require you to tell them "doc, they wont let me bring my emotional support donkey into the office, and now I has the upset-sies".

Maybe one day we will also achieve nirvana, but until then you have to show up, pay $50, and talk to the doctors. :shrugz:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Gather round yall because Im about to blow your minds. Not only do you get an annual free panoramic x-ray from but you also get a free annual cleaning! But wait for it...wait for it.......our medial insurance provides one free annual checkup and our vision insurance includes one free annual eye exam. KAAAAAAAAABOOOOOOOOOOOOOM GOES YOUR BRAIN!

But to go back to your earlier "lack of understanding":

a) All US residents must have insurance. Its the law. :yes:

b) All insurance plans have a "copay". Its usually around fiddy bucks, not in fact a months pay.

c) And this part is absolutely crucial, when attending any one of these checkups, the doctor will ask you "how you feel", and you should tell them. See, unlike European doctors, US doctors have not yet achieved the ability to diagnose mental conditions at a glance. They will require you to tell them "doc, they wont let me bring my emotional support donkey into the office, and now I has the upset-sies". 

Maybe one day we will also achieve nirvana, but until then you have to show up, pay $50, and talk to the doctors. :shrugz:

speaking of lack o' understanding, since january 1, 2019, it is not the law that all americans must have medical insurance. a few states still require such, but is not a fed requirement.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

You may now be asking yourself, "is it true? Does pharmabro really want to cradle my head to his warm chest and make coo-ing noises?" No. Pharmabro does this because it is in its own best interest to provide free preventative maintenance to its policy holders to try to catch things early.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/goldman-asks-is-curing-patients-a-sustainable-business-model.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

most of the reports i've seen around on youtube from clips of US news and talk shows, talk about how people there go bankrupt because of medical expenses and how insurance companies are preferring to fly people to mexico to buy their medication because a round trip is cheaper than paying for meds on USA. they say that even for people with a well payed job, paying that 20-25% copay part is at times costing more than they make in a year if they come down with something serious and need to be hospitalized.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

 

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

 

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!


We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

 

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am thinking folks is getting suckered in by skarpy_one and a meme he found somewhere on the arse end o' the internet.

atp wave 64 were a covid specific survey conducted by pew between march 19 and march 24, 2020. asked respondents views on school closures and international travel and the like. 

a quick looksee didn't reveal anything similar to the s'posed chart data from pew or from groups such as the nih which commented 'pon pew wave 64. the chart skapry offers clear ain't from pew, so one wonders what were actual data and the relevant questions regarding mental health, which again would be almost necessarily covid specific. 

am thinking until something a bit more concrete is offered, ordinary and prudent skepticism, particular o' anything provided by skarp_one, should make the question as to the chart data validity a non-starter.

You have to pay for/ subscribe to the full data set/ questionnaire from Pew, the publicly available questions in the pdf about Trump covid etc are just a sample. But while there is no primary source available unless someone wants to get a sub the derived/ secondary source (graphs) were generated by a PhD student and don't seem to have had any claims of being made up or anything.

Whole twitter thread is pretty interesting, even if it's of limited relevance to me. Took about 30s to find.

Using 'old' data sets for analysis is pretty common. They often cost less, you have (had) a lot more time to mess around with them than something released a month ago or whatever, and often you're limited to, well, the most recent occasion on which the relevant questions were actually asked. Something like mental health may well be asked every couple of years or every year but certainly not monthly, so the next set of data may be 2021 or 2022.

Edited by Zoraptor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...