Iirc you can turn from Real Time with Pause to Turn Based with the help of a console command. I believe it doesn't even count as cheating. So no need to restart I guess. Also good just on order to try it out. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, freddfranca said:

is a good idea I start again and go turn based? 

I don't think anyone else can properly answer that; go ahead and try, I think that's the only way you can know. Turn-based is definitely not for me, it takes away most of the magic of the game, but that's just the way I see it.

You are in a good position to try the other way now: you have not done much, but you have done enough to make a good call, once you've tried the other way, too.

I had the same thought after a few hours of playing my first time. I wasn't quite happy with my first character's build so I decided to go back and change a few things and try turn-based. The intro-fight on the ship convinced me there was no way I was going to play like that. It was going to take an hour for a fight that only lasts about 10 minutes in RTwP. Later fights do go on for at least an hour in RTwP so I can only guess they last all day in turn-based mode.

As far as it being too chaotic, I recommend adjusting the auto-pause settings. Too many auto-pauses are annoying, but there are a lot of options to make it feel good. I like to micromanage, so I turned off most of the auto-pauses, except for when a party member finishes an ability, that works great for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Real time is better. You can press space to pause at anytime to queue up commands for multiple characters. 

Real time you have greater control over turns so just pause when you need time to think and set up. 

The game wasnt designed around turn based so you going to get more rough edges.