Weird, random, interesting

Gorth

• Like 6

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

OOORAH!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Cop resigns after video shows him slamming his K-9 into a patrol car, NC police say

‘It was crying.’ Officer seen punching K-9 in face under investigation, CA cops say

First off.... the only good reason to strike a dog is if you are being attacked. Or someone/thing else is. Never, EVER strike a dog as some kind of discipline. First off it's ineffective and counter productive. They will shut down on you and whatever point you were trying to make will not be received. Second of all is destroys the trust you've built up. It damages your relationship with the dog. Third, it is just cruel. A dog that loves a person will lie there and be beaten to death before raising even a tooth to defend itself. It takes an utter monster to beat a dog like that. It's no different from beating a helpless child. 

These two cops are the exact kind that give the profession a bad name. These are the kinds that would beat a suspect to death, shoot a man in the back and be genuinely surprised anyone took issue with it. Far too many cops are incapable of empathy. If you cannot muster up any for your canine partner you certainly won't have any for the public. 

• Like 6

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I guess the officers feared for their lives.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/gungywamp?

Gungywamp in Groton, Connecticut is the kind of site that can drive archaeologists crazy.

It’s a very messy story. The site, located in the Connecticut woods less than an hour away from New Haven, consists of multiple stone chambers, rings of stones, piles of rock, Native American artifacts, mysterious etchings, lithic artifacts, Colonial artifacts, and hundreds—perhaps thousands—of years of various settlers adopting and rearranging the site. It’s difficult to tell where one historical period ends and another begins.

The site attracts what might be called archaeological conspiracy theories. Among the most popular of these theories (one that crops up at multiple stone sites in the Northeast, like New Hampshire’s Mystery Hill) is that the site is a pre-Colombian settlement built by 6th-century Celtic Christian monks who escaped Ireland to avoid Norse aggression.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

(warning, video in article shows violent octopus) 😂

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56612257

Australia: Geologist beaten up by 'angriest octopus' on beach

In a video that has gone viral, the octopus can be seen in shallow waters lashing out at geologist Lance Karlson.

The creature came after him again later and struck him on the arm, before whipping his neck and upper back.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What if somebody won the war of 1812

Cody at alternate history hub has released a new video. Like most of his work it’s pretty good. This one would be a particular interest to Canadians 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

On 3/31/2021 at 6:12 PM, Guard Dog said:

OOORAH!

Speaking of Marines (And Army)

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/03/11/china-declares-war-us-inevitable-army-general-highlights-need-fighting-vehicles.html

China has 7,000 tanks and 3,000 infantry fighting vehicles, "so 10,000 vehicles that will be decisive if we are not there," Maj. Gen. Richard Coffman, director of the Army's Next Generation Combat Vehicle Cross Functional Team, told an audience at a Center for Strategic & International Studies event.

The Marine Corps, which is preparing for island-hopping missions in the Pacific, began getting rid of its M1A1 tanks last year, a move that some experts say will put the burden on the Army to back them up with armored support.

Americans always had a thing for light mass produced tanks, like the Shermans, and this war will be no different.

Yeah, nah. The US hasn't really had a thing for light tanks pretty much ever. If you said mass produced 'light' tanks over most of the post WW2 period you'd be talking soviet model ones which are 1/3 lighter on average than western equivalents, and way easier to build/ maintain.

(The Sherman was a 'heavy' tank with good protection when it launched, heavier than anything the Germans had and almost everything anyone else had. The definition of heavy tank shifted during the war but the only semi mass produced contemporary tank heavier than the initial Sherman were the KV series, and Churchill. Though the Churchill's early versions were so ludicrously slow they probably should have been classified as a pillbox rather than a tank.

For the past 60 years US MBTs have all (well, both, since it's only the M1 and M60) been the heaviest or nearly so on the battlefield, and considerably heavier than any they were likely to fight against. It's not even like there are hordes of lighter tanks backing them up, almost exactly the same number of Bradleys have been built as Abrams and over a similar timeframe)

Were I Commander-in-chief of U.S. armed forces I would definitely focus on light tanks to protect infantry and prioritize heavy artillery and precision airstrikes to bust enemy armor/entrenchments.

But that kinda makes me sound like an Armchair General now dunnit.

I mean I suppose one quick nuclear strike on the Politburo in Beijing could also work, but I'm sure they have a contingency against that.

Just now, ComradeYellow said:

Were I Commander-in-chief of U.S. armed forces I would definitely focus on light tanks to protect infantry and prioritize heavy artillery and precision airstrikes to bust enemy armor/entrenchments.

But that kinda makes me sound like an Armchair General now dunnit.

I mean I suppose one quick nuclear strike on the Politburo in Beijing could also work, but I'm sure they have a contingency against that.

Nowadays a modern light tank design would probably be a stealth tank, relying on optical/infrared camouflage rather than armor. You probably wouldn't see it until a shell is heading your way, and then it would scoot.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Light tanks can stop a 5.8×42 round and fragmentation though, I think there's a certain value to that.  Especially going up against a nation with millions upon millions of infantry, far more of them then heavy equipment, though their equipment should not be underestimated.

Edited by ComradeYellow

https://cointelegraph.com/news/half-a-billion-people-just-had-their-facebook-data-leaked

According to a security analyst, sensitive personal information for over half a billion Facebook users was leaked on a well-trafficked hacking forum earlier today — a potential risk to millions of cryptocurrency traders and hodlers who now may be vulnerable to sim swapping and other identity-based attacks. 

The trove of information was first discovered by Alon Gal, CTO of security firm Hudson Rock, who posted on Twitter about the leak earlier today:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

First Hobbit movie done in by us, czechs

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"