The What Are You Reading thread (now with a simpler name)

This was easily my favorite book as a kid:

Kurt-Dieter-redaktionelle-Bearbeitung-So

600 pages full of diagrams and explanations of virtually everything, or - as the cover states: From ballpoint pens to nuclear fission. :yes:

• Like 3

We all have signed the pacts, we knew so well nothing was left
We are being born at the sound of ends, and yes we still believe in beauty
It used to be the pride of Man, now a flame put out by the cold in his hand

41 minutes ago, majestic said:

This was easily my favorite book as a kid:

Kurt-Dieter-redaktionelle-Bearbeitung-So

600 pages full of diagrams and explanations of virtually everything, or - as the cover states: From ballpoint pens to nuclear fission. :yes:

That is very cool!

• Like 1

Get off my lawn!

I remember reading a lot of the Golden Books (like The Little Red Hen) as a really young tyke.  Dinosaur books and Richard Scarry and Dr. Seuss followed.

When I got a little older I read The Three Investigators (aka Alfred Hitch**** and the Three Investigators) and somewhere in there was Dahlov Ipcar's The Warlock of Night and a bunch of other books I barely remember at this point.  I remember reading The Hobbit when I was ten or so because both my older brothers had.  Somewhere around 12 or 13 I tried to read Dune and The Lord of the Rings and had begun reading Doc Savage, the Avenger, the Shadow, H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard/L Sprague De Camp's Conan and Piers Anthony's Xanth books.  Maybe that was when I tried to read my brother's Thomas Covenant books too.  And picked up Robert Vardeman's Centopah Road which I followed for awhile.  Oh and two of the Shannara Books were somewhere in my early teens.

But I read a lot of comic books.  60s Doom Patrols, Challengers of the Unknown, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, etc, 60s and 70s horror titles like House of Mystery, Eerie, House of Secrets, Red Circle Sorcery, or Creepy; Weird Western Tales (Jonah Hex and Scalphunter), GI Combat (Haunted Tank), Weird War Tales (Creature Commandoes), Out Army at War (Unknown Soldier), Archie, Harvey, etc.  My uncles donated their comics to us and so there wasn't a time that I remember that there weren't comics to read or re-read growing up.

EDIT: OOOOH how could I forget Terran Trade Authority #3 Spacewreck: Ghostships and Derelicts of Space!!!! I checked that out of the library dozens of times!

I remember in 7th grade, my parents had the bright idea to send me to a private Christian school, since I wasn't doing well in public. It was not a good fit, and I got sent to he library as a punishment regularly. This was a pretty terrible library for a 7th grader, since it was all preachy stuff. The one decent author I found was Stephen R. Lawhead. He had a scifi series about living on Mars and I enjoyed it. Then I read some fantasy books he wrote. I'd say that led me to a lot of the older fantasy and scifi stuff I eventually read. I don't really remember it being heavy on the Christian themes, at least not any more than CS Lewis. So that helped. :p