General movie thread!!!!

Amentep

9:40 - Guy gives Rob Roy's fight a 10/10, so he's instantly the best expert of his field in the world, imo.   :*  He, the "ditches and more ditches" guy, and the "medieval weapons" guy this Insider channel has showcased, should make a whole series of them sitting on a couch reacting to/discussing stuff, together.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

in our estimation, the most realistic and arguable best movie sword fight. the duelists included multiple fantastic sword fights.

off the top o' our noggin, polish films zrodzeni do szabli and potop is also among the bestest sword fighting movies.

rob roy is good, but you got two combatants with vast different levels o' skill and tim roth is toying with his opponent for most o' the duel scene. is only 'cause o' arrogance roth loses, which is more than a little cliché.  spend 90% o' a film, book or whatever building up a villain as unstoppable, but the villain ends up falling victim to hubris. for comic book fans, am wondering how many times has dr. doom lost this way?

*sigh* 

would be annoying if farmer liam neeson sudden became the superior swordsman in the last ten minutes o' the film. so if you are gonna have a duel, what believable way is there for roth to lose? perhaps a slight misstep leads to a severe ankle sprain for cunningham?  that woulda' been anticlimactic if no less improbable. is just not possible for us to rank such an uneven fight, where the superior swordsman for all practical purposes commits suicide, occupy a place o' particular distinction on our imagined "best" list.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The best sword fight scene in cinema IMHO:

Not the flashiest fight, but in terms of how an actual sabre duel would happen, it's pretty realistic.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 2/26/2021 at 9:19 AM, Keyrock said:

The best sword fight scene in cinema IMHO:

vid

Not the flashiest fight, but in terms of how an actual sabre duel would happen, it's pretty realistic.

is from the aforementioned potop.

keep in mind, the actors almost got serious hurt a few times during the filming o' this scene and they even added football style cleats to the combatant's boots to give 'em better footing as they kept falling. genuine realistic woulda' had fight end much quicker and likely with both combatants rolling around in the mud, but if the movie is called "deluge," then you are gonna have wet.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Raithe said:

John Cleese updating with...

Oh no... 😁

I posted this one a long time ago

Emu War Part of The Great Depression Date Location Result 1932 Campion, Western Australia Decisive Emu Victory Belligerents iiM1 Commonwealth of Australia Emus Commanders Major Meredith none Strength 2 machine guns 20 000 birds Casualties and losses 10 000 rounds of ammo. 12 birds Dignity Western Australia Emu War Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon text font line

Not like the army ever really had a chance without air superiority. How do you fight an enemy like this??? :ninja:

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2016/10/on-this-day-the-emu-wars-begin/

image.png.03f3b7fac036d73cec410a1cf0bd0cb6.png

I hope they've learned their lesson before the Chinese army shows up!

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

^ I like the art style and gore. Hopefully the gore is used with purpose, à la Paul Verhoeven, rather than just gore for gore's sake. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 3/9/2021 at 8:15 PM, Gorth said:

Oh no... 😁

Not like the army ever really had a chance without air superiority. How do you fight an enemy like this??? :ninja:

not that we have a vote in the matter, but am gonna suggest the answer to your question is obvious:  packs o' cybernetic enhanced robodogs.

sometimes you need a crazy solution to combat a crazy problem.

HA! Good Fun!

ps don't blame us when the robodogs inevitable slip their programing leashes. can always blame on the engineers if things go awry.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Totally not Gorgon said:

I need movie ideas. I shot all the suggestions for movie night down and landed myself the job. 😕

9/10 of everything is crap. I need something not crap. Artsy is fine. If turns out terrible I can just call them all Neanderthals and pretend i like it. 

lv 2 necro post- 

Dolemite is your only choice.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2021 at 5:33 PM, Raithe said:

161318950_1497238847293289_8890521270076

What's there to script? Johnny Depp is going to wear a lot of scarves and act wacky, Orlando Bloom is going to look handsome, and Kiera Knightley is going to purse her lips.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

17 hours ago, Totally not Gorgon said:

I need movie ideas. I shot all the suggestions for movie night down and landed myself the job. 😕

9/10 of everything is crap. I need something not crap. Artsy is fine. If turns out terrible I can just call them all Neanderthals and pretend i like it. 

lv 2 necro post- 

Go old school.

Trot out the likes of Casablanca or The Philidelphia Story.

Then you can tell them they just don't recognise the classics...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 3/18/2021 at 8:19 AM, Totally not Gorgon said:

Minari?  Looks like one of those critically lauded, well-acted but slow paced human dramas.  One which I'm actually interested in, but not $20 Amazon rental level interested in.  😛

Otherwise, yeah, old school. Some old classic you think others haven't seen or something.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 3/18/2021 at 8:19 AM, Totally not Gorgon said:

lv 2 necro post- 

have never paid attention to notgorgon's entertainment preferences, so "not crap," is gonna shift a bit depending on what you believe to be crap or good. 

question: what is the best adam sandler movie?

answers from boardies could be genuine and complete different. some persons will insist there has been no good adam sandler movies. some will mention happy gilmore or similar fare... perhaps the wedding singer gets a few votes?  am admitting we thought both punch drunk love and uncut gems were good movies with excellent performances by adam sandler.

we will note we recent saw kiss kiss, bang bang again and am always surprised by how much we like that  movie. inexplicably reminds us o' marlowe (1969). 

HA! Good Fun!

On 3/18/2021 at 11:19 AM, Totally not Gorgon said:

lv 2 necro post- 

Naqoyqatsi

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Daniel Radcliffe lines up villainous role in new Sandra Bullock movie (msn.com)

He previously explained why he likes going for such offbeat projects rather than big franchises, stating: "I've actually found it's an incredibly liberating thing, to do the biggest thing you're ever gonna do really f**king early," he said.
"The financial success thing, that's done. So just do things that make you happy.
"For every director out there that was like, 'I can only see him as Harry Potter', there was at least one that said, 'I wonder if he'll do this really f**king weird thing?'"

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

They need to remake Speed, but with Keanu Reeves as the bomber. 

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Saw some YT video that reminded me I saw this movie in the theater back when - had a teenage bf who loved such movies. Anyway, I remember thinking it was entertaining even then, and nostalgia has me wanting me to say it was one of those "most 80's 80's" type of movies.  So much cheese and Bruce Lee homages.  The slow mo arm waving - one of those Bruce Lee homages - at around 3:25 is gold (warning, end fight spoiler, if anyone cares).

Sho Nuff!

Also, that song was awesome.

• Like 2