Weird, random, interesting - now with 100% less diacriticals

Amentep

https://thehackernews.com/2021/01/whatsapp-will-delete-your-account-if.html

"Respect for your privacy is coded into our DNA," opens WhatsApp's privacy policy. "Since we started WhatsApp, we've aspired to build our Services with a set of strong privacy principles in mind."

But come February 8, 2021, this opening statement will no longer find a place in the policy.
The Facebook-owned messaging service is alerting users in India of an update to its terms of service and privacy policy that's expected to go into effect next month.

The "key updates" concern how it processes user data, "how businesses can use Facebook hosted services to store and manage their WhatsApp chats," and "how we partner with Facebook to offer integrations across the Facebook Company Products."
Users failing to agree to the revised terms by the cut-off date will have their accounts deleted, the company said in the notification.

With regards to the device and connection data, WhatsApp spelled out the pieces of information it gathers: hardware model, operating system information, battery level, signal strength, app version, browser information, mobile network, connection information (including phone number, mobile operator or ISP), language and time zone, IP address, device operations information, and identifiers (including identifiers unique to Facebook Company Products associated with the same device or account).

"Even if you do not use our location-related features, we use IP addresses and other information like phone number area codes to estimate your general location (e.g., city and country)," WhatsApp updated policy reads.

• Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 1/6/2021 at 10:13 AM, Raithe said:

It's nice to be european for once

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 1/7/2021 at 2:18 PM, Gfted1 said:

For some reason its bothering me that Silicon Run II came out three years before Silicon Run I. :lol:

Yeah, not really sure what was up with that. Could have sworn I got the wrong videos or something.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

From the random category... Australian birds can be real bastards at times

In case anyone feels sorry for the Kookaburra, this is often the sound that wakes me up in the morning, like between 3am and 4am 😩

• Haha 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-to-block-backspace-key-from-working-as-back-button/

So very overdue. Happens a lot when I'm entering things in JIRA.

• Like 1

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7apnn/your-****-is-mine-now-hacker-locks-internet-connected-chastity-cage-demands-ransom

A hacker took control of people's internet-connected chastity cages and demanded a ransom to be paid in Bitcoin to unlock it. 

"Your **** is mine now," the hacker told one of the victims, according to a screenshot of the conversation obtained by a security researcher that goes by the name Smelly and is the founder of vx-underground, a website that collects malware samples.  

In October of last year, security researchers found that the manufacturer of an Internet of Things chastity cage—a sex toy that users put around their **** to prevent erections that is used in the BDSM community and can be unlocked remotely—had left an API exposed, giving malicious hackers a chance to take control of the devices. That's exactly what happened, according to a security researcher who obtained screenshots of conversations between the hacker and several victims, and according to victims interviewed by Motherboard.  

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

Bitcoin lost $10,000 in value since last Thursday. Suddenly I have a feeling like I might have missed the boat

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

32 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Bitcoin lost $10,000 in value since last Thursday. Suddenly I have a feeling like I might have missed the boat

always a bad way to look at it. have observed a tendency to view anything less than the missed highwater mark as a loss. 

if your return is better than what you would have seen from s&p 500, then call it a win.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

31 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Maybe a good time to buy ?

27 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

always a bad way to look at it. have observed a tendency to view anything less than the missed highwater mark as a loss. 

if your return is better than what you would have seen from s&p 500, then call it a win.

HA! Good Fun!

Oh it’s not a loss for sure. That was a toss of dice on the craps table. And I’m inclined to hold on for it for a couple of years and see what happens. Like Bruce and I were saying cryptocurrency is literally buying air and air is volatile. How much is nothing really worth?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

Weak.

I mean, they should be thankful, there's alot of people who pay people to be their keyholder, this guys' taken it on himself without taking huge amounts of money upfront. Vice calls it ransom, I call it a steal!

6 hours ago, Malcador said:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox-to-block-backspace-key-from-working-as-back-button/

So very overdue. Happens a lot when I'm entering things in JIRA.

Honestly can't ever remember it happening to me, and backspace to go backwards I use all the time. Atleast I can reenable it.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

18 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Oh it’s not a loss for sure. That was a toss of dice on the craps table. And I’m inclined to hold on for it for a couple of years and see what happens. Like Bruce and I were saying cryptocurrency is literally buying air and air is volatile. How much is nothing really worth?

this last year has had us considering a smaug portfolio. other than our silver sell, first ten months o' the year we were bare breaking even, but last two months we see a return equal to all of last year.... and Gromnir investing is s'posed extreme conservative.

*sigh*

sure, a big pile of gold is unlikely as comfortable as our memory foam mattress, and gold is no less volatile than our real estate or ira investments, but gold is real... at least until a complete collapse in which case gold is no better than paper money.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Barring a Complete collapse gold will never be worthless. The thing that scares me about any commodity is it has an actual real world value and when the price gets too far away from that value I get very leery of it. Sooner or later it’s going to snap back like an elastic band.  Like you I am very conservative when it comes to investing. Preferring income generating real estate over most anything else. I’ve gotten out of stocks all together with the exception of an IRA. But even that I am focused largely on dividend paying stocks and other large caps. My one foray into crypto is the single bitcoin I bought when the price crashed two years ago. We’ll see what comes of that in years to come I guess. Although I will admit I was getting very anxious as the value started to climb. I heard Mortimer Duke in the back of my head saying “sell sell sell“ LOL!

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Imagine all the electricity that just wasted. 😱

Digital currency always seemed like a quasi-pyramid scheme to me.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Strange FM signal discovered coming from one of Jupiter's moons

Ganymede‐Induced Decametric Radio Emission

Fascinating stuff. The radio signals from the four big moons have been known for a long time. But being frequency modulated means Ganymede has a magnetic field. Now THAT is unusual for a moon.

On a lighter note what would a radio station on Ganymede play?

Train - Drops Of Jupiter - YouTube

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell