I think we just have to agree to disagree. The sexual content in this game is extremely minor and has no impact on game play and can be entirely ignored. For you it is a major thing and affects your entire game play. You are hung up on semantics and the fact you cannot just say NO bothers you. The total sexual part is less than five minutes in a long game and just answering the question with as close to no as possible does not seem to be an option for you. Tell Tekehu you are dating Xoti and the conversation is over. Xoti will not know you said that. Xoti you can push toward Eder. I really do not see the problem. The devs did not include these conversations just to annoy you, they had no idea who was going to play the game so they covered all their bases. A guy and a girl NPC to flirt with whoever the PC is. I actually think the inclusion of this makes the game a little more realistic. It is easy to stop all sexual advances in the game. Some players actually like this and romance in the game. 

I don't disagree with the OP that an answer saying to Tekehu that he is not your Type/Genre/Specie could have been better, but I agree with the previous post that the level of rant is a bit exagerated for such a minor problem.

I still feel a bit forced that every NPC is bisexual. I have troubles to imagine Eder or Xoti as Bisexuals, even if I can imagine a drunken Serafen to be open minded.

However, we might have to consider that being "straight" is not a thing on Eora, and all this is about preferences toward individuals rather than a clear line.

A reason for this would be that a large part of the potential sexuality on Eora is non-reproductive cause of the different Kith Species. So people might be a bit more open-minded about same sex preferences because it is just another kind of non-reproductive sexuality. There could have been a Taboo on both, but it's believable that if there is no Taboo on relashionship between species, or even that no one seems to notice them, it could perfectly be the same for being attracted by a specific gender.

EDIT : not to mention you can potentially carry the soul of someone from the opposite sex. Aloth doesn't even complain that Iselmyr is a woman. He just complains that she has bad manner.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 4

Well, media creators (games, TV shows and Movies) feel they need to hand out political messages by being inclusive of everyone, even if it doesn't make any sense or makes the game lesser. They feel they cannot get away with not doing it because of a small group of angry sjws that have been terrorizing the Internet for a few years now. The result? Characters become a-sexual, everything is created to be uniform and big breasted women are no longer accepted. Hell, Lara Croft went from D cup to A cup.

It's even worse in teen and young adult shows where men are portrayed as evil, weak and always opposing women and being sexually offensive. And the females have to overcome this to show the world they can stand on their own. Almost every show created in 2018/19 and 20 has something of this drivel in them.

Does it bother me in Deadfire? Yes and no. Not as much as it does in other games. I do pick female characters because I never directly identify myself with the main character. I'm sure that if I picked a male character it would bother me more. Although I would prefer that I could set my sexual preferences at the start of the game. So I can choose to be gay or not and not have people bother me with it all the time.

When it comes down to it, choosing political correctness over a good story is bad practice. I've even seen it ruin series by altering canon of previous games.

Don't know if you guys have played Borderlands 3, but aparantly there is a player character (robot) that doesn't identify as female or male because he is a robot. I say he because he has a male voice and acts masculine. But people calling him "he" on the Gearbox forums are banned. So there you have it. I am also a white male, so I must be evil anyways.

There's also games that let you pick a character and then alter their looks to be female, even though you play male and vice versa or have a non-gender. Because you know. those 0.001% of society that have psychological or physical issues and want to be a different gender have to be catered to as well. Well since we're messing up peoples minds now the amount of people wanting to change is probably going to change.

All I can hope for is that this nonsense dies down. In the end it does more harm than it fixes. But this will likely not happen until we ban things like social media. Which I am all for, especially for underaged people.

I played FPS game yesterday, I felt offended because shotgun sound was too manly. I mean what is this? 1920? Its 2020 for christ sake, why are we still tormented by macho sounding weapons. Someone should get to the bottom of this and people responsible should be punished. #FREETHEPOWDER2020! #RIDUCULETHESHEEPLE

Edited by Phyriel

20 minutes ago, AeonsLegend said:

It's even worse in teen and young adult shows where men are portrayed as evil, weak and always opposing women and being sexually offensive.

In case you haven't noticed, this has been going on since the 1950s. Here's Frank Zappa talking about it in the very early 1990s.

1 minute ago, xzar_monty said:

Don't assume the victim mentality, it's whiny and accomplishes nothing. (Cf. your words "I am also a white male, so I must be evil anyways" above.)

The thing is that is what happens online when you're trying to make an argument. I'm not the one making it up. And I do agree with you on this that I shouldn't be the one mentioning it, but in this case I said it to emphasize the point in general, not to defend myself in particular.

2 minutes ago, xzar_monty said:

It is not helpful to generalize. It may happen, or it may not. It has not happened here, right now. It is unnecesasry to bring it up in a discussion that has not been hampered by it.

Fair enough. But all these elements are connected. You will not see a black male portrayed as bad generally.

Read the history a little bit and you will see a black male nearly always portrayed as not only bad but also stupid, incapable of learning, subhuman, etc. We are living in a period where certain norms are in flux. Mostly, it appears to be an excellent thing, although some people go too far with it. This always happens, because people don't change.

Just now, AeonsLegend said:

You will not see a black male portrayed as bad generally.

ROFLMAYO - the most hilarious thing I read all day. Even comes before "Somebody asked if I'm dating someone before making an inquiry about my sexual orientation and now I feel harassed and offended". 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 minute ago, Boeroer said:

ROFLMAYO - the most hilarious thing I read all day. Even comes before "Somebody asked if I'm dating someone before making an inquiry about my sexual orientation and now I feel harassed and offended". 

I'm talking about teen and young adult shows.

Me, I like how game designers do not bother with overthinking sexuality as they obviously are aware that for machines to successfully simulate something as nuanced and complex as human mating rituals they need to pass the Turing test first, and when they do that, they probably will be busy doing more important things, like taking over the world. 

I don't know. The gender distribution in PoE2 is far far better than in most "SJW stuff"/ "classic macho action" released nowadays or before.

It's like they rolled a dice to detemrine the gender of every character (especially faction leaders) and the women generated by this process are not walking bunches of clichés (including "SJW clichés" if I may express this way, such as "women are better", if this even exists).

Spoiler

The only choice that results in basically the death of the world is choosing one of these women as the leader of the winning faction.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Thanks 1

To be fair non of it bothered me in Deadfire. I wasn't even aware of some of the things until someone pointed it out and then I was like *shrug*. 

10 minutes ago, Elric Galad said:

I don't know. The gender distribution in PoE2 is far far better than in most "SJW stuff"/ "classic macho action" released nowadays or before.

It's like they rolled a dice to detemrine the gender of every character (especially faction leaders) and the women generated by this process are not walking bunches of clichés (including "SJW clichés" if I may express this way, such as "women are better", if this even exists).

Reveal hidden contents

The only choice that results in basically the death of the world is choosing one of these women as the leader of the winning faction.

It's not a massive issue, but I did find that most of the men in Deadfire were a bunch of sissy losers. Especially the ones linked to factions. So either that was by accident, perhaps Obsidian have no clue how to create a charismatic powerful man, or it is on purpose. I can't decide what is worse.

44 minutes ago, SchroedsCat said:

So out of curiosity, which of the men are wimps and which are the manly men? 

With regards to your question on wimps would say specifically Atsura, Castol and to a lesser extent Furrante are particularly weak. I like your troll bait on manly man. Good try.