Free graphics editing software

Chilloutman

Hello,

Looking for some good graphic editor which have some free licence. I would like to try work on 3D objects and such. I would get photoshop but it seems there is no free licence for it :(

Thanks for tips

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

It goes without saying that the point of posting the question is getting tips from people one trusts not to be trolls, astroturfers or shills, about graphic editing software they have experience with.  Not having someone else google the question and lazily post literally literally the third result, evidently.

OT: I don't think you'll get very far if you want to do anything serious, without a license for a commercial product. I dabbled a bit in GIMP and found it was a bit lacking in features, and I'm a garbage tier photo manipulator. That was a few years ago, though, I don't know if it's got better.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 2

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I guess i will give Blender a shot, I think I have heard that its not too bad compared to Photoshop. thanks for info guys

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

thanks all

On 1/25/2020 at 3:26 AM, Chilloutman said:

I guess i will give Blender a shot, I think I have heard that its not too bad compared to Photoshop. thanks for info guys

Blender has a bit of a learning curve, but once mastered, it offers a Swiss Army knife of a tool box with more features than you can shake a stick at. It gives the commercial products (like Maya, 3D Studio Max, Cinema 4D etc.) a run for their money, offering some very competitive features for zero dollars.

(edit: assuming you're a "hobbyist" and don't need the more powerful "pro features" of the commercial products)

(edit2: Blender is not an image editing package, but a 3D modelling and rendering package)

You do need to invest the time in learning it though.

For image editing:

Gimp was already mentioned. I remember using another one once upon a time called Paint.net. Nice features, doesn't scare the living daylights out of your wallet (it's free) and might be worth just to give a try at least.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Gorth changed the title to Graphics editing software

Sorry, I accidentally messed up the thread title.... I hope it's recognizable :blush:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Gorth changed the title to Free graphics editing software
  • 2 years later...

Yes, you can start with Photoshop. Basically, I think you can find a free version online. After you learn how to work in Photoshop, you can move on to more advanced software. However, it is possible that you will need to go through training, as such programs are more complex.