1. 1. Choose Your Title!

• Lead Artist
    • Level / Environment Artist
    • Senior Designer / Writer
    • Senior Graphics Programmer
    • Senior Engine Programmer
    • Tools Programmer
    • Gameplay Programmer

Are positions in a game studio really so set in stone? I'd think they'd be more flexable.

yes and no. your responsibilities are usually pretty well defined, but just about everyone contributes to making a game great.

case in point: designers are often helpful in directing programmers to areas of code that may be similar to what they are implementing (aka, hey this feature is similar to the Spore Beast Attack, maybe we could do something similar but with Fungus?). The programmer can then reference a piece of code that makes his job easier.

Also, programmers are often the first people to see a feature in practice and can offer insight on to what can be done in a given time frame to make it more enjoyable.

In terms of game design, the vision is maintained by the design team, but the pieces that go into making the game come from everyone on the team.

Some positions are more flexible than others, some are 'gateway' positions that can lead to design or programming or art (ie, level designers can continue design or branch to art if they have the skills, scripters often branch to either level design or programming, etc)

• 2 weeks later...

I would enjoy being a designer at Obsidian.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

President and CEO.

But I note that said position is currently not available on the jobs page.

So, I'd go with "Idea Guy".

Actually, my programming skills are limited to db, but I can write a good story now and again, so Writer (be it plot, back story or dialogue), I guess, would be my serious answer.

President and CEO.

But I note that said position is currently not available on the jobs page.

So, I'd go with "Idea Guy".

Actually, my programming skills are limited to db, but I can write a good story now and again, so Writer (be it plot, back story or dialogue), I guess, would be my serious answer.

I like art and I'm also a kick ass writer. Coffee fetcher works too though. :unsure:

I COULD play with the story, but i enjoy calculations too much. It's fun to decide whether or not the guy smashes the other guy on some limb with his weapon :rolleyes:

and it's really fun to use wierd calculations to do so

• 5 months later...

I'd prefer to be a tools programmer, as it is what I have been for many years at a much, much larger company for many years.

After spending most of those years writing everything from data acquisition s/w to automotive HVAC simulators to data warehouse administration tools, I have found my niche.

Give me a dimly lit cube, a few PCs and Visual Studio and I'll write all of the VB.NET, C# and C++ you can ask for.

Working on a project that makes other peoples jobs easier is always rewarding, even if the hours can get long :ermm:

It's funny when people who know nothing about programing or video game design, but think they know 'what makes a good game' offer their servises as an 'idea guy'.

Not that I know anything about programming or video game design.

Are there actually any real 'idea guys' out there?

Beta testers don't count.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The "idea guys" is usually a group consisting of the producer and the developers. Reporting bugs as beta-testers is usually about as much outside help a studio needs.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

i'm currently doing QA and i'm hoping to move up to junior designer on the next project. Some years of experience in design and maybe i'll get a shot at a spot with Obsidian or Troika.

As for the "ideas guy" it's almost never just one guy. I'm the QA guy in charge of ability functionality on our current project so I'm in on the abilities meetings so i can weight in on testing apects of new/current features in the game. Even being the low man on the totem pole I've had a couple of my ideas/suggestions implemented into features for the game.

Basically, anyone who is on the team will at one point or another have an opportunity to pitch an idea in.

I'd prefer to be a tools programmer, as it is what I have been for many years at a much, much larger company for many years.

After spending most of those years writing everything from data acquisition s/w to automotive HVAC simulators to data warehouse administration tools, I have found my niche.

Give me a dimly lit cube, a few PCs and Visual Studio and I'll write all of the VB.NET, C# and C++ you can ask for.

Working on a project that makes other peoples jobs easier is always rewarding, even if the hours can get long :geek:

I don't know about your past but what you did for the Kotor modding community over the last 10 months ( :thumbsup: already??? ) is just awesome in terms of programming and also sharing with the other members and I can only thank you for everything , Fred. Fantastic job! I wish you the very best! You already are an excellent tools programmer :- Your tools have provided more hours of enjoyment to those who have modded Kotor than the game itself (which was already excellent)!

Working on a project that makes other peoples jobs easier is always rewarding, even if the hours can get long :)

I don't know about your past but what you did for the Kotor modding community over the last 10 months ( :) already??? ) is just awesome in terms of programming and also sharing with the other members and I can only thank you for everything , Fred. Fantastic job! I wish you the very best! You already are an excellent tools programmer :) Your tools have provided more hours of enjoyment to those who have modded Kotor than the game itself (which was already excellent)!

Thanks, you're very kind!

Writing Kotor Tool has been a lot of fun and I'm glad it has extended people's enjoyment of KotOR beyond the initial play experience. One of the benefits to me is that some of the ideas I have incorporated in Kotor Tool have been reused in my data warehouse administration tool that I wrote for my employer.

I'd probably enjoy working on game tools, too, but I don't know that Obsidian could match the salary and benefits of Electronic Data Systems or IBM, or the relatively lower cost of living of Michigan. I mean, given that one would have to relocate to beautiful Orance County, CA., the cost of living increase alone would eat up a larger portion of the take-home pay.

where is options like

CFO

or

benevolent dictator

would be willing to consider creative consultant on a retainer basis.

what did dave m do 'fore he left... fetch doughnuts? Gromnir could do that.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hmm, couldn't find my favourite position in the poll...

Obsidian's Publisher

That way, I would be in womewhat in control of what their next game would be. Something featuring ritual virgin sacrifice and crates and men in blue jumpsuits and whatever (w00t)

Picking from the options available, it was engine programmer. Probably suits me best interest wise. Some day, somebody is going to write the ultimate game AI and pathfinding algorithm... :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Picking from the options available, it was engine programmer. Probably suits me best interest wise. Some day, somebody is going to write the ultimate game AI and pathfinding algorithm...  :thumbsup:

I so am going to do that.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

• 3 weeks later...