• Lead Artist
    • Level / Environment Artist
    • Senior Designer / Writer
    • Senior Graphics Programmer
    • Senior Engine Programmer
    • Tools Programmer
    • Gameplay Programmer

Designer or Gameplay programmer would be nice, since it actually has

something to do with the game itself (and/or the game mechanics) more than graphic or tools programmer.

All programming has something to do with the game itself--getting the orc to hit someone over the head is a combination of many programmer's efforts.

Most users will never really know good gameplay code when they see it. They WILL notice good graphics or engine work. The most common time people notice the gameplay programmer is when the gameplay is bad. It's a sadly thankless position outside of the team (you will have a fan base comprised of the design team if you make good gameplay code, however).

People do notice programmer's efforts. They just don't realize who is responsible.

When a nice new feature is cleverly implemented, load times are reduced, DirectX9 implementation is introduced, new hardware is supported, etc. All these things are features people look for.

Did anyone here ever play the old Commander Keen games? One of the games, I think it was Keen IV, had the main menu of the game on Keen's pocket-watch, with a built-in-pong game.

I bet you money that the pong mini-game was a programmer's doing, and not the developers.

...Coffee-Maker...accordin' ta Jessica U., 'twas a full-time job at BIS... :o

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

People do notice programmer's efforts. They just don't realize who is responsible.

Pretty much what I was trying to say in far fewer words. With the exception of the lead graphics programmer, people almost never know the names of programmers or even know what is programming versus art or design. It's hard to tell sometimes (which is a sign of good programming)

People do notice programmer's efforts.  They just don't realize who is responsible.

Pretty much what I was trying to say in far fewer words. With the exception of the lead graphics programmer, people almost never know the names of programmers or even know what is programming versus art or design. It's hard to tell sometimes (which is a sign of good programming)

:rolleyes: So hows your programmer art?

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Easily Designer/Writer. Hell, if I had the experience and the computer know-how, I'd be applying this very instant.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

As I notice nobody votes for Tools Programmer. This is as important as other positions and is an interesting mix of 3D programing and database-like structures. Writing level/object editors is not for everyone. ;)

Nik.

As I notice nobody votes for Tools Programmer. This is as important as other positions and is an interesting mix of 3D programing and database-like structures. Writing level/object editors is not for everyone. ;)

Nik.

Think it's because the programming stuff requires people to know something about computers. Any idiot can write a crappy short story and think he'd make a good writer/designer, but sit a random guy down and try and have him program a game and he'll be weeping like a little girl in a room full of onions and tear gas by the end of the day.

As I notice nobody votes for Tools Programmer. This is as important as other positions and is an interesting mix of 3D programing and database-like structures. Writing level/object editors is not for everyone.  ;)

Nik.

Think it's because the programming stuff requires people to know something about computers. Any idiot can write a crappy short story and think he'd make a good writer/designer, but sit a random guy down and try and have him program a game and he'll be weeping like a little girl in a room full of onions and tear gas by the end of the day.

I've programmed in Basic, VB, DarkBasic, Pascal, FoxPro, and C.

Not C++, good ol' C in Unix.

And I realize that I'm a mediocre programmer. So I don't pursue it as a career.

I still will sing the praises of Pascal and no one will listen.

I've programmed in Basic, VB, DarkBasic, Pascal, FoxPro, and C.

Not C++, good ol' C in Unix.

And I realize that I'm a mediocre programmer. So I don't pursue it as a career.

I still will sing the praises of Pascal and no one will listen.

I've programmed in......none of the above.

Nope. I'm not getting hired as a programmer by any company that doesn't have a death wish.

I suppose any company can operate as they so desire.

However, developing a game is a multi-staged process.

Brainstorming is great in pre-production. However, in order to hit a release date, you need to decide on a somewhat set feature-set, and have a game-plan. Then you need to carry out that game-plan.

Being productive in a large project, gaming or otherwise somewhat dictates this. That's why many fan projects fail. It's not due to lack of creativity or great ideas. They are unfamiliar with the boring organizational process needed to complete the task at hand.