The Outer Worlds won't Launch on Steam pt 2

• Amentep pinned and unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

You know, this is sad but it had to be done... outer worlds is a game i like of a genre that i enjoy (except for first person only). As i said in the other thread i had fuel up to 64.52 USD in steam on December waiting for this game being able to purchase at day zero. Sadly the idiots who managed distribution decided to go for a stupid epic store exclusivity. Take in count that means i lost december's sale on steam and many "an item from your wishlist" ones (which included KENSHI, a game like fallout) notifications.

I recently bought another game: Darq, a game i don't like from a genre i utterly hate and i am planning into not buying this at all, this is even more depressing that what i had to do with chucklefish after they ruinned starbound. Currently i have a rig that can play outer worlds and even has windows 10 but i am STILL NOT PREORDERING THIS because i felt betrayed.

Right now, i am not even opening steam, i don't want to look at what i had done but still i wanted to point that my main reason to buy darq, a game i just invested 20 or 21 minutes (not even beating the first level) and that i won't touch again was because it showed something that obsidian did not: respect.

Obviously i will still play outer worlds, but not buying it at all, probably i will just buy it on G2A for a microsoft key if I ever do. Now if you excuse me, i will walk the lonesome road IRL again.

Edited by DekarServerbot
fixed
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, DekarServerbot said:

...Right now, i am not even opening steam, i don't want to look at what i had done but still i wanted to point that my main reason to buy darq, a game i just invested 20 or 21 minutes (not even beating the first level) and that i won't touch again was because it showed something that obsidian did not: respect.  ...

Oh my, yet another steam whinge fest...  You are so into steam, yet don't know you can refund a game if played less than 2 hours??? 

There is no "exclusive" you can buy Outer Worlds at a variety of stores, try the publishers store in fact:  https://store.privatedivision.com/en_US and cut out all middle men, like epic or steam.

steam currently has a strangle hold on game distribution, taking a disproportionate cut of profits and disrespecting game developers, yet developers feel like they need to sell there to even have a chance.  These new digital game stores are finally emerging, and its about time developers have a choice where they can sell and can get more for their efforts.

Edited by Bandy
  • Like 3

On 9/1/2019 at 5:57 AM, Bandy said:

Oh my, yet another steam whinge fest...  You are so into steam, yet don't know you can refund a game if played less than 2 hours??? 

There is no "exclusive" you can buy Outer Worlds at a variety of stores, try the publishers store in fact:  https://store.privatedivision.com/en_US and cut out all middle men, like epic or steam.

steam currently has a strangle hold on game distribution, taking a disproportionate cut of profits and disrespecting game developers, yet developers feel like they need to sell there to even have a chance.  These new digital game stores are finally emerging, and its about time developers have a choice where they can sell and can get more for their efforts.

wait, there was a private division store all the time? now i feel like a fool. But you also should: why should i return darq if the guy earned that money buy it twice (at gog too)?

Still i want to make some explanations:

By " i don't want to look at what i had done" i meant that i got so interested in getting this game that i filled my wallet since the trailer came. Just to see that i spent 64 USD (just in case it had some extra stuff like original soundtrack included) while i was dabbling between either buy it at day zero or preordering. And then, just seeing that it went to epic instead (a company i hate because of their antics since the PUBG stealing ala lion king vs kimba ending in the developers of PUBG having a crisis breakdown) made me feel so bad. I even had to put on hold KENSHI just because i was waiting for the outer worlds removing their comming soon status.

Put it on perspective: Imagine you had bought a ticket for a movie you were expecting, your ticket is there for the premiere, then it happens that just because the distribuitor was bribbed enough to not play it at your local cinema and you have to wait THREE MONTHS to use that premiere ticket. And what if you realize that it was put on a crappy cinema that has green mossy popcorn sold in euros because they don't use your local currency, that neither has any seats and the ceiling has too many holes that light gets inside it making the movie hard to watch, Oh and the cherry of the cake is that if you "shh" someone you get banned from it.

My point: IF it suddenly decided to be released as a playstation exclusive I wouldn't mind that much, i would still be mad but not disappointed. Secondly, I have priorities, i have a little 5 yo daughter to look for, i can't spend other 60 USD right now because i don't have them available. BUT If i ever knew about private division store i would not had filled up those 60 bucks, i would had saved them instead. I will spoil myself with this on christmas if i get the chance (which i probably will)

On 9/1/2019 at 12:57 PM, Bandy said:

Just curious: what kind of launcher/drm will you get at privatedivision? Will it be a standalone program?

Afaik the version from Private Divison is just a key for the Epic Games Store.

I want to repeat that I personally don't like this (semi)exclusive deal because I'm on Linux - and Steam did a really good job with Proton. It works like a charm with all non-Linux-native games I tried so far and allows me to play a ton of games without having to install Windows (which I really don't need otherwise). This is a very special case of course and not relevant when one looks at sales numbers. It just shows there might be more reasons than Stockholm Syndrome or being a fanboy.

Complaining about Steam being a quasi monopoly is ok. But at the same time embracing Windows which is a quasi monopoly as a platform for PC games is a bit inconsequential.

Anyway in this case it's not too bad because it will be on Steam after 1 year. At that point I guess it will run smoothly with Proton. Completely exclusive deals would disappoint me more. Just because I couldn't play the game at all then.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I mean I like Macs personally but games have always been a PC-thing for Windows ... its pretty simple to have two hard drives running multiple OS, or just partition your single hard drive - and Windows 10 is basically free these days ... but I think that the whole OS is more a choice of developers to make games for Windows as a lot of people run Windows, and why port to Linux that not many people actually run, I mean you can build your own OS in Linux which is cool if you run servers for security from what I understand ... anyway would rather suffer a little to give something back to the developers, and if that is a few extra bucks and the option of better deals through multiple distributors, I mean I don't see why people are up in arms about this whole thing.

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

On 9/2/2019 at 4:27 PM, DekarServerbot said:

Put it on perspective: Imagine you had bought a ticket for a movie you were expecting, your ticket is there for the premiere, then it happens that just because the distribuitor was bribbed enough to not play it at your local cinema and you have to wait THREE MONTHS to use that premiere ticket. And what if you realize that it was put on a crappy cinema that has green mossy popcorn sold in euros because they don't use your local currency, that neither has any seats and the ceiling has too many holes that light gets inside it making the movie hard to watch, Oh and the cherry of the cake is that if you "shh" someone you get banned from it.

So you are unwilling to spend money to buy a game you want to play on Epic and you are unwilling to wait to spend your money on the game you want to play on steam, but you are happy to buy multiple copies of a game you don’t want to play?

Now on to your illustration. Before Epic deal was announced OW was never ever on sale. It’s more, that you hoped to go to your favourite cinema for a movie, but months before release it was announced it won’t be coming to it for quite a while.

As to the rest. Epic doesn’t make your gaming experience worse on Windows. It’s bare bone and clunky, but games run alright. You might disapprove of this cinemas business practises, their world wide chain isn’t well adjusted to different regions, it doesn’t have many expected facilities and doesn’t offer popcorn... but the watching experience is same as everywhere else). 

You can also just pick up XBOX game pass, and play through the game.

i find it hilarious that you find buying from G2A a more moral path then buying from Epic. Only one of them does actual, proven damage to gaming industry. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

i find it hilarious that you find buying from G2A a more moral path then buying from Epic. Only one of them does actual, proven damage to gaming industry. 

Agreed.  Announcing one's intent to buy on G2A is probably the best way to tell a developer:
  "I'm really hyped about your game, but honestly I'd rather my money supported grey-market brokers and loosely-organized criminals than you.  No hard feelings right?"

On 9/1/2019 at 12:57 PM, Bandy said:

Well, no because you will end up with an epicstore key.

19 hours ago, daven said:

Anyone crying about this, watch this and try get a different perspective yeah.

Yes, get a perspective on a paid corporate shill that tries to prevent you from giving your honest opinion. Just shut it and listen to the corporate masters. Great perspective indeed.

Companies give epicstore exclusives which is their right to do business with whom they please. Gamers don't like epicstore and they don't do business with companies that cooperate with epicstore plus they complain about this which is their right as a customer.
Now let's sumarize:
Gamers call companies morons for releasing games on platform they hate.
Companies call gamers morons because they think it's a great business practice. 

So who is right? Well as the old saying goes, let's follow the money. Who is loosing the money? Companies or gamers? So who is in the wrong in this issue,huh?

166215__front.jpg

1 hour ago, Ethics Gradient said:

Agreed.  Announcing one's intent to buy on G2A is probably the best way to tell a developer:
  "I'm really hyped about your game, but honestly I'd rather my money supported grey-market brokers and loosely-organized criminals than you.  No hard feelings right?"

that's exactly what i meant, and now that i know that i can't redeem private division keys on microsoft store that's the way i will buy it. On G2A

6 hours ago, DekarServerbot said:

that's exactly what i meant, and now that i know that i can't redeem private division keys on microsoft store that's the way i will buy it. On G2A

It's also possible to just purchase the game directly on the MS Store.  No middle-man required!  But if one would rather pay cut-rate prices to get keys of questionable legality, let their conscience be their guide.  

There's not much anyone can do stop G2A, but it is certainly a facet in the overall discussion concerning perceived entitlement among gamers, and how they can simultaneously "support" a developer, yet choose to financially undercut them when given the option.  🤷‍♂️

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ethics Gradient said:

It's also possible to just purchase the game directly on the MS Store.  No middle-man required!  But if one would rather pay cut-rate prices to get keys of questionable legality, let their conscience be their guide.  

There's not much anyone can do stop G2A, but it is certainly a facet in the overall discussion concerning perceived entitlement among gamers, and how they can simultaneously "support" a developer, yet choose to financially undercut them when given the option.  🤷‍♂️

I am no longer supporting for the same reason i always side with Cassidy instead of the Van Graffs (which after the epic bull****, seems the cannon ending). So i am just stealing plasma explosives right now. Too bad it was not Microsoft store exclusive, i would not resort to the gray market in that case

32 minutes ago, DekarServerbot said:

I am no longer supporting for the same reason i always side with Cassidy instead of the Van Graffs (which after the epic bull****, seems the cannon ending). So i am just stealing plasma explosives right now. Too bad it was not Microsoft store exclusive, i would not resort to the gray market in that case

Okay.  Just seems weird that a Microsoft-only release for TOW might have been okay, but releasing on Microsoft and the Epic Game Store makes a lot of people want to hoist the Jolly Rodger or rip off the developers through grey-market keys.

It's one thing to take advantage of arbitrage and score a cheap key through differences in regional pricing, but much of what makes the discount economies of G2A or Kinguin work is the bulk offloading keys purchased with stolen credit cards.  Experiences do vary, and many gamers have okay experiences with those sites, but it can be really hard to explain why a vendor has dozens of day one keys for hot releases sold at a steep discount without considering the potential for fraud.  While the sites themselves claim plausible deniability in the sourcing of the keys, participating in such marketplaces often serves to enable money laundering more than helping that one user that somehow accidentally has an "extra key" for a game they purchased.

If that's the route players chose to go, I at least hope they get something positive out of the experience before a chargeback hits and invalidates their key.  

Best of luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor, etc...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Ethics Gradient said:

It's one thing to take advantage of arbitrage and score a cheap key through differences in regional pricing, but much of what makes the discount economies of G2A or Kinguin work is the bulk offloading keys purchased with stolen credit cards.

Yes, that's what I've read. However, in case of credit card fraud, doesn't the publisher render the purchased keys invalid? How often does that happen? If that were a frequent occurrence, G2A and Kinguin's reputation among even unscrupulous buyers would tank by word of mouth, one would think. Who would purchase from them if you had a coin-toss chance of getting a bad key or the game could be randomly removed from your catalog?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

2 hours ago, 213374U said:

Yes, that's what I've read. However, in case of credit card fraud, doesn't the publisher render the purchased keys invalid? How often does that happen? If that were a frequent occurrence, G2A and Kinguin's reputation among even unscrupulous buyers would tank by word of mouth, one would think. Who would purchase from them if you had a coin-toss chance of getting a bad key or the game could be randomly removed from your catalog?

It happens often enough.  Heck, G2A even offers optional "insurance" for when that totally 100% legitimate key you're buying doesn't work, or mysteriously gets revoked in the future.

From what I recall, the financial end of a chargeback is automated once the bank initiates, but key revocation still falls on the developer/publisher.  There's some intervention required to match bogus sales to the associated keys (in some cases it may not even be possible).  Those who use sites like this are taking a bet that the key is authentic, and if it's not, that maybe the publisher doesn't have the resources to follow up on fraudulent sales.

I could care less if this game was available on Steam. I just wish it was priced a little cheaper since they wont have to pay Steam a percentage...or at least give me a promo code....been an Obsidian fan ever since Baulders Gate......That 6 pack disk set was awesome.