• 1 month later...

whew! just wanted to confirm that my run finally got validated. i don't know what i'm going to do with the patch... frame it?

it's funny, i think obsidian managed to both overestimate the difficulty and underestimate the difficulty at the same time (e.g. staff writing notes to je sawyer that this challenge was fundamentally impossible vs the fact that there are so many patches and entries on their plaque, but i think i'll be merely the fourth to have done it, after six months of the challenge being out).

Edited by thelee
  • Like 3

I don't think there will be many more. 

While I never thought that it's impossible

(we know by now - since PoE and the story that QA complained that the Adra Dragon was impossible to beat - that Obsidianites aren't masters of their own games and thus can't really estimate what's possible and what not - which is fine... I don't think I could play a game extensively that I developed myself)

I always said it's incredibly tedious. Several challenges by themselves add quite the tedium (Woedica's, Abydon's, Hylea's) - combine them all and I'd rather hang on my nostril hairs than trying to complete that challenge. 

So... hats off! :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

10 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I always said it's incredibly tedious.

literally when I was doing the similar-but-easier Ultimate challenge for PoE1 it was so tedious I started a completely different and parallel game of PoE1 just so I could play the game "for fun" instead of staring at my paladin very slowly grind out enemies for hours at a time (it also proved to be useful in doing advance research of areas, so there was that).

Deadfire Ultimate wasn't as tedious, but only because once I got scordeo's edge fights were pretty fast and dynamic... also this time around I had a Netflix subscription so I could watch tv shows while my character was buffing for minutes at a time :) I actually made it through six seasons of Frasier just from watching it during buffs and rehearsals.

• Like 2

I nearly won the PoE Ultimate with a dual sabre Barb (3 DEX, 3 RES - wichts were my nemesis ;)). That wasn't supertedious after the early game. But Blood Thirst was lvl 7 (not PL 7) and once you got Heart of Fury it was quite ok.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thelee said:

literally when I was doing the similar-but-easier Ultimate challenge for PoE1 it was so tedious I started a completely different and parallel game of PoE1 just so I could play the game "for fun" instead of staring at my paladin very slowly grind out enemies for hours at a time (it also proved to be useful in doing advance research of areas, so there was that).

Deadfire Ultimate wasn't as tedious, but only because once I got scordeo's edge fights were pretty fast and dynamic... also this time around I had a Netflix subscription so I could watch tv shows while my character was buffing for minutes at a time :) I actually made it through six seasons of Frasier just from watching it during buffs and rehearsals.

Surprised you didn't get disqualified due to use of external playing aids like Netflix! :)

I'm reminded of my old Angband-playing days, where the True Final Boss of the game is not Morgoth, but Boredom. Just endlessly grinding for the perfect set of gear, fleeing instantly at the first sign of trouble, until you get the full list checked off and can make the final attack run.  There's a similar thing in play for Nethack, but Nethack play is FAR less boring than Angband play.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Wotcha said:

I'm reminded of my old Angband-playing days, where the True Final Boss of the game is not Morgoth, but Boredom. Just endlessly grinding for the perfect set of gear, fleeing instantly at the first sign of trouble, until you get the full list checked off and can make the final attack run.  There's a similar thing in play for Nethack, but Nethack play is FAR less boring than Angband play.

Angband,

v1PVP2a.jpg.e63df06bee081431124be9fa334f0546.jpg

• Haha 1

After about 5 months break I'm trying my luck at the Ultimate again this time with a troubadour/priest, the amount of knowledge that heaped up during my break is quite big so it feels like I'm almost playing a completely different game.

Sadly I still get distracted very easily by reading twitch chat and oing stuff ingame at the same time instead of pressing c like  anormal person.

Yesterday I had two really early deaths due to that but today was pretty successful, even killed Beina with a level 7 char before going to neketaka and with Decadency's help survived a storm 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boeroer said:

You are doing it again? Why am I not getting a Twitch message? Time to join the chat and distract the sheet out of you with bad puns! 🤗

Yeah, I mean I only started two days ago but still weird there was no notification.

• Hmmm 1

By the way: I think your White Worms didn't work because you need a successful hit roll against the corpse (which is hidden). @thelee pointed that out. You simply missed the corpse I guess. This is a fairly recent change (I mean not long before v. 5) and totally stupid. I also think it's unintended.

Using Skeletons is smart, but remember that their weapons don't scale (always poor swords) so you might want to change to some other summons later.

If you can't find out why you are having sleep disturbances you might want to try vitamine B6. It's hard to overdose (>50mg a day) and a deficit can sometimes cause insomnia. Maybe worth a try. Some random B-vitamine-complexes (B6+B9+B12) are quite cheap. A deficit is unlikely if you eat normally, but still... maybe better to try something out than rolling around the whole night.

If your sleep is disturbed because you lost all your money with poor horse-racing bets than it won't help though. ;) 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm taking b6 (p-5-p) and quite a few other things but I know why I'm having trouble sleeping and sadly only time and patience will fix it.

I took sleeping pills for 12 years because doctors aren't very smart and when my liver couldn'tt take it anymore I had to go against doctors orders (and I tried several different ones and they all refused to coopoerate, which made it really hard to lower the dose cuz they would keep describing me high dose) and stop taking them, now my body was so used to sleep on taking the pills that it needs some kind of signal to go to sleep which of course isn't there anymore, so all I can do is to tire myself out naturally as much as I can, take b6 and all kinds of other natural stuff and just hope that eventually my brain willl work normally again, but after 12 years it takes some time to readjust.

• Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

By the way: I think your White Worms didn't work because you need a successful hit roll against the corpse (which is hidden). @thelee pointed that out. You simply missed the corpse I guess. This is a fairly recent change (I mean not long before v. 5) and totally stupid. I also think it's unintended.

Using Skeletons is smart, but remember that their weapons don't scale (always poor swords) so you might want to change to some other summons later.

Haha I just searched for white worms and this came up, I totally missed your post earlier.

Not sure if it really missed I used it twice and there was just no reaction on screen OR in the combat log, also there was a lot of corpses around and it's an AoE, no?

No, you have to hover over (and then click on) a corpse and only then you will see an AoE indicator with the corpse as center. Everything in that AoE will get that crush damage when said corpse explodes. The corpse then gets removed and you can cast it on another one. It works completely differently compared to PoE where you had a cone and every corpse in that clone would explode.

Maybe you didn't click on a corpse and the game fails to properly react to that (like not allowing the cast then).

• Like 1

Oh I expected it to work like Poe 1, does that mean only 1 corpse explodes even if there are multiple? The indicator is greyed out if you don't have a corpse selected, so I don't think it's possible to activate without targeting a corpse.

Yes, one corpse (the one you target) for one (big) explosion. Other corpses don't matter at that moment. 

In PoE it was a smaller and less damaging explosion for each and every corpse in the cone.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Raven Darkholme said:

Oh I expected it to work like Poe 1, does that mean only 1 corpse explodes even if there are multiple? The indicator is greyed out if you don't have a corpse selected, so I don't think it's possible to activate without targeting a corpse.

this is sort of my fault. there was inconsistent targeting between the base white wurms, and the upgrade. the base worked like it does now, and the upgrade worked like in poe1 (making it an amazing upgrade). i raised the inconsistent targeting, and they "fixed the glitch" and removed the poe1-style targeting from the upgrade. sorry about the nerf :)

on the flip side, like @Boeroer said, they compensate for it by making the base damage and aoe much, much larger than in poe1.

• Like 1