Lets Get Political

Amentep

I'd rather drink with Mark Anthony. I bet that guy could have a good time. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

On 5/24/2019 at 2:19 PM, Guard Dog said:

In a move that is surprising no one Theresa May is stepping down. This Brexit thing is a hot mess. Joining the EU is like buying a timeshare. You don't know how much it's going to cost, you don't know when it's going to end, you have no clear ability to get out of it, if you do try to leave is pisses off everyone else in the ownership pool.  Nuts to these kinds of entanglements. 

Brits could leave union as soon as they want without any entanglements, but they want entanglements which is why their leaving process is mess as they can't agree what kind entanglements they want. 

1 hour ago, Elerond said:

Brits could leave union as soon as they want without any entanglements, but they want entanglements which is why their leaving process is mess as they can't agree what kind entanglements they want. 

By no entanglements, you mean no-deal Brexit, right? Though theres the Irish border which is kind of a damned if you do and damned if you don't (do a no deal crashout) situation because the current system requires the existence of being in the EU and changing the current system is going to affect the Good Friday deal and the border simply due to rule changes. So, in a way, they can't escape some sort of entanglement no matter what.

Not that a GFA 2.0 can't be done, it'd just be more complicated since it'd have to do something that GFA 1.0 barely touches on, trade crossing the border.

All these blue and purple US states that changed its electoral rules to stop Trump in 2020... would be an irony if the Democratic candidate wins the 2020  election electorally but then lose the popular votes to Trump.

Edited by ktchong

29 minutes ago, ktchong said:

All these blue and purple US states that changed its electoral rules to stop Trump in 2020... would be an irony if the Democratic candidate wins the 2020  election electorally but then lose the popular votes to Trump.

Not sure if it's actually possible, or it'd at least be statistically unlikely, for a Democrat to win electorally and lose the popular vote due to the way Democrats are distributed. In order to find the last time it happened to a Democrat (or in the one case, the precursor to the Democrats), you'd have to go back almost 200 years. The rest of them have all been Republicans. editwhiletyping: That one case also just happens to be during the brief period where the US was a one party state in all but definition since that party wasn't cohesive at all.

Edited by smjjames

When it comes to politics it is smart to remember all things are cyclical. The biggest error is to assume how things are now is how they will always be. Ktchong is right, they time will come when some people regret changing their state to a popular vote system. Especially if those electoral votes would have tipped the election to "their" Rat Tribe candidate and instead went to the "other" Rat Tribe candidate. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Does anybody find it ironic that Trump is initiating a witch hunt to find some supposed government pre-election plot against him, all while revealing possibly millions of state secrets to the US's rivals? I simultaneously find it hilarious and alarming.

• “the greatest witch hunt in American history,” D. Trump
  • President Trump said he “declassified potentially millions of pages of documents” 

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

When it comes to politics it is smart to remember all things are cyclical. The biggest error is to assume how things are now is how they will always be. Ktchong is right, they time will come when some people regret changing their state to a popular vote system. Especially if those electoral votes would have tipped the election to "their" Rat Tribe candidate and instead went to the "other" Rat Tribe candidate. 

There is a low non-zero possiblity, yes, but a lot of specific things would have to fall into place for that to happen, not that I know what they are, it's just usually the case with low probability stuff. It'd definetly be more likely in the case of a close electoral college win though.

Trump is 100& going to shout 'RIGGED!' in that situation, even though that's exactly how he won, which would further inflate the irony. Assuming it happens in 2020 anyway.

49 minutes ago, rjshae said:

Does anybody find it ironic that Trump is initiating a witch hunt to find some supposed government pre-election plot against him, all while revealing possibly millions of state secrets to the US's rivals? I simultaneously find it hilarious and alarming.

• President Trump said he “declassified potentially millions of pages of documents” 

Barr is supposed to be following the general rules regarding declassifying stuff, but the Intel Community is rightfully concerned about it. Besides, with Barr's behavior, I don't trust him to be honest about any sort of findings.

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

That DID actually happen though. Whether or not what was done was illegal is a different question. As far as ethical... well that is not something either tribe of rats munch concerns themselves with.

@James I was more thinking 10, 20 years down the road rather than 2020.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

That DID actually happen though. Whether or not what was done was illegal is a different question. As far as ethical... well that is not something either tribe of rats munch concerns themselves with.

@James I was more thinking 10, 20 years down the road rather than 2020.

What are you referring to? The fact that the establishment tried to knock him out of the running?

If you mean the whole Strzok thing, two FBI employees being dumb =/= the whole government. The way the FBI handled the Clinton Investigation was definetly a mess though and theres certainly oversight reasons to look into the handling of the Trump side of the investigation, but declassifying to the point of hurting national security seems like going beyond just oversight.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, smjjames said:

What are you referring to? The fact that the establishment tried to knock him out of the running?

If you mean the whole Strzok thing, two FBI employees being dumb =/= the whole government. The way the FBI handled the Clinton Investigation was definetly a mess though and theres certainly oversight reasons to look into the handling of the Trump side of the investigation, but declassifying to the point of hurting national security seems like going beyond just oversight.

Im also interested in what GD interpretation of the government plot was, I have spent  lots of time following the post election views  and assessments and who did what and I am not sure how Obama tried to plot against Trump?

The only plot I know of was external and it was the Russians unacceptable  attempts to influence the election in order to get the USA sanctions against them dropped ..and sanctions under Trump by people in his presidency and the US Congress  have prudently been increased so that was  an epic fail 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, maybe this election wasn't as terrible as it looked a couple of hours ago. Projections and trends show a major loss for the EPP and the ENF not ganing as much as initially believed, unless Fidesz is really going to change from the EPP to the ENF (in which case the loss of the EPP becomes exacerbated, which is always a win in my book). Hell, maybe we won't end up having to deal with that piece of manure Weber as president of the commission.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, ktchong said:

U.S. Army asked on Twitter on May 23, 2019: "How has serving impacted you?"

... and has been getting rekted.

Seems like people only sharing there negative experience, I wonder where the vast positive stories are. Seems like another " anti=USA"  classic and selective example of  propaganda 

Also where would these stories be without playing the race card, you have to play the race card for meaningful impact. I noticed the old " USA only attacks/tortures  brown and Muslim countries "  hyperbole amongst one of the comments 

I wouldn't be too concerned with this 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

25 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Seems like people only sharing there negative experience, I wonder where the vast positive stories are. Seems like another " anti=USA"  classic and selective example of  propaganda 

Also where would these stories be without playing the race card, you have to play the race card for meaningful impact. I noticed the old " USA only attacks/tortures  brown and Muslim countries "  hyperbole amongst one of the comments 

Are you certain there would be vast positive stories ?  I'd expect the vast amount to be ambivalent more than anything else.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Are you certain there would be vast positive stories ?  I'd expect the vast amount to be ambivalent more than anything else.

Its a good question and I dont have enough data or have any real research to answer but if you take just the members on this forum who have served in the military Im sure most of them will have an overall positive experience. Yes there would be bad memories for some but I doubt more than the good ?

John Milton 

My experience was largely positive. Things sound bad when only the negative things are repeated. And there are folks who only want to hear the negative things.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

My experience was largely positive. Things sound bad when only the negative things are repeated. And there are folks who only want to hear the negative things.

Have you been in field?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

11 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

GD was in the Gulf War if that is what you mean. In the field has a different meaning for us.

what I mean was if he was in combat situations. I am just asking. I could imagine it somehow change your view on things

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

The Gulf Ware does not, in any way compare to what has happened since 9-11. All we did was push an overmatched enemy out of a Kuwait. We didn't follow that up with an invasion and never ending occupation of a fractured country where everyone hates each other almost as much as they hate you. So while the combat operations part of it are certainly comparative, not that I saw much of that, the two experiences don't really compare over all. But I think they were referring to the military experience in general. And considering I received a college education mostly paid for by that experience, and the value of what I learned and did while in, it was definitely positive.

I found that twitter feed. Most of the reply (70-30 my my estimate from just scrolling) were more positive than negative. The links ktchong provided were all negative. And you have to remember he (ktchong) has his own axe to grind.  

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

18 hours ago, BruceVC said:

12 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I found that twitter feed. Most of the reply (70-30 my my estimate from just scrolling) were more positive than negative. The links ktchong provided were all negative. And you have to remember he (ktchong) has his own axe to grind.  

Here is the direct link to that tweet by the US Army.... and the overwhelmingly negative responses to that tweets:

https://twitter.com/usarmy/status/1131704927963766785

Edited by ktchong