Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Pallegina crusader or herald

Companion POTD Build

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

@ Theurgist at the moment I took build advice from thelee.

Party is lvl 7 so I'm starting to see some fruits come from spells and skills. Most fights I pretty much start off with chill fog or slicken depending on foes. Tekehu also has chill fog thx to his background traits. I'm using Pallegina with the endless paths greatsword and she's doing pretty well besides eder. My mc bounces back and forth between Eldritch aim, blood sacrifice, chill frost or slicken, and cancolhaults corrosive siphion. Noxious burst as well. Once things are as best as I can cc them with my main I start using Eldritch aim and then escape to get behind someone my tanks are engaged with and try to get a stab or 2 in. If they start to agrro me I escape to safety and start siphion again or actually heal.

I am wondering if I should pop smoke veil the use escape to get behind a engaged enemy to get a sneak attack in. That's basically what I have been doing with the mc. My companions have custom behavior set for some of their off the rip skills and I try to micro manage anything that needs to be done in fighting.

There is alot I'm still learning but since I added tekehu and Pallegina to the group I have been able to take on more enemies. I am have a tad bit of trouble with the The Cornett's Call in the ancient city where my fights are really close usually one or 2 enemies are at a quarter health when I'm out of everything. Need to prep more potions or scrolls. I'm not using consumables as much as I should.

Interesting setup on your MC. Keep in mind that pulsing spells (Chill Fog, Slicken) will break your invisibility.

Steampunkgears

Steampunkgears

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Right but if I'm correct that still counts as a sneak attack. I have only used stealth in the beginning to proc the engagement and I'm considering using it to get sneak attacks on enemies that my tanks are engaging. I am also dual wielding a mace and a stiletto both fine quality for the 10pen. I plan to get the other stealth's like shadowing beyond later on as they are probably infinitely better than smoke fail.

Edit: lol voice to text doesn't like smoke veil and says fail.

Edited by Steampunkgears, 12 March 2019 - 12:37 PM.

• Ophiuchus likes this

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Right but if I'm correct that still counts as a sneak attack. I have only used stealth in the beginning to proc the engagement and I'm considering using it to get sneak attacks on enemies that my tanks are engaging. I am also dual wielding a mace and a stiletto both fine quality for the 10pen. I plan to get the other stealth's like shadowing beyond later on as they are probably infinitely better than smoke fail.

Edit: lol voice to text doesn't like smoke veil and says fail.

Only the first pulse will benefit from the Assassinate bonus (Sneak Attack only works with weapons). Shadowing Beyond is more costly but it's significantly smoother than Smoke Veil since it doesn't have recovery.

Steampunkgears

Steampunkgears

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Once I get access to higher lvls I plan to get high-impact aoe spells that you can cast from invisibility to take advantage of the bonus PEN, crit damage, and accuracy. fireball or noxious burst for example.
  • Ophiuchus likes this

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Once I get access to higher lvls I plan to get high-impact aoe spells that you can cast from invisibility to take advantage of the bonus PEN, crit damage, and accuracy. fireball or noxious burst for example.

Cool. That's one reason why I suggested giving another character an AR reducing ability. Using an ability from Stealth (but not Invisibility) shaves 85 percent of the recovery: so you can load up on buffs, have Tekehu use The Shield Cracks, and follow it up with a Fireball boosted by Assassinate, then quickly lead into your next action.

Steampunkgears

Steampunkgears

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Right thelee mentioned this to me similarly where someone else starts the fight and I load up on Eldritch aim and some kind of other buffs I have yet to get. Any recommendations? And as for another companion getting a AR reducing ability I got to look at who and what to get skill wise or even equipment wise that might help.
  • Ophiuchus likes this

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I need to get back to work here in a few but here's some AR-lowering abilities:

-1 AR:
Flanked (positioning or PER Affliction or Phantom Foes (Cipher))
Rending Smash (Mace Modal)

-2 AR:

Hel-Hyraf/The Shield Cracks (Chanter; AoE)
Expose Vulnerabilities (Wizard; AoE)
Body Attunement (Cipher; single target)

-4 AR:
Rusted Armor (Druid; single target)

As for combat engagement, you can begin encounters with your party in Stealth to take advantage of the recovery bonus. Have your tanky character creep forward and toss a Sparkcracker a bit off to the side to clump enemies and keep their vision cones away from your backline. Dismiss Stealth on the tank to initiate combat and cluster enemies into a ball. From there, your Stealthed characters can cast buffs with minimal recovery time: I generally like to have Xoti cast Minor Avatar followed by Dire Blessing and other buffs depending on the situation (Holy Meditation to counter RES afflictions, for example); it's not a bad idea to have hard CC at the ready to keep the enemy group locked in that position.

Mind that this won't work in every encounter since some are scripted with spawning enemies and the like.

Edited by Ophiuchus, 12 March 2019 - 01:35 PM.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 740 posts

For me a crusader is more effective if you already have casters in your party. A chanter is nice, but a paladin that can kill quickly is more effective because it can continuously grant +12 to all defenses +4HP regen and +1 armor to everyone. It's also better in raw stats than a herald so more sturdy as well. Self regen, better stats.

I like to give Pallegina the crit build with Lord Darryn's Voulge, the power of money and the +10 accuracy from Ring of Focused Flame on fire attacks. (45% hit to crit conversion is pretty decent) Then go full tank mode. Can't kill her while she maims the enemy and buffs your party? Yes please.

Edited by AeonsLegend, 13 March 2019 - 07:10 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Where do the 45% come from?

Power of Money does 15% max, Disciplined Barrage is 25% and Zealous Focus does 5%. Together they will give you a conversion chance of 39.44% (you can can multiply the changes to not convert and then substract 1 - it's one of the easiest ways to calculate the overall chance to convert: 0.85*0.75*0.95 = 0.6056 --> 0.6056 - 1 = -0.3944 --> your chance is 39.44%).

Conversion chances don't stack additively but get checked one after the other until one triggers or until they got all checked without success.

Did anybody count how often I did write that so far since PoE came out? ;)

One reason why I almost never pick Exalted Focus nor Uncanny Luck.

Edited by Boeroer, 13 March 2019 - 07:46 AM.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 740 posts

Where do the 45% come from?

25% from fighter Disciplined Strikes, 15% from The Power of Money (Ring of Prosperity's Fortune) and 5% from the passive Uncanny Luck. You need 200K gold to get the 15% as it scales of the money you have.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No.

See my edited post above. 

Edited by Boeroer, 13 March 2019 - 07:09 AM.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 740 posts

Ok so it's 40% because of game mechanics. Still decent for a tank. She will often kill enemies and then trigger Inspired defenses. On this build I would reather not go Zealous focus because it doesn't really add much. Zealous Endurance is much more effective.

Edited by AeonsLegend, 13 March 2019 - 07:27 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Indeed. Especially if you compare both upgrades. Exalted Focus is... funny at best. I mean it's party-wide so it can't go too high. But compared to Exalted Endurance...

Edited by Boeroer, 13 March 2019 - 07:45 AM.

• Arctur likes this

Arctur

Arctur

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts

@Boeroer

Better take Exalted Charge with my Arcane Knight? (Pallegina is the one with EE.)

Enurale

Enurale

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

A short answer: If you want a real Hard-tank (over defensive) choose crusader, if you want to a far better support/healer than crusader, than herald. (i have 3 chanter 3 paladin my my party on one of my playthrough, for 6 chant and 3 zealous aura)

Beside of this, i never be in need of super-heavy tank even for upscaled potd playthrough, but still in an all-ranged party, a self-sufficient hard tank can be very good againts mega bosses.

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 740 posts

A short answer: If you want a real Hard-tank (over defensive) choose crusader, if you want to a far better support/healer than crusader, than herald. (i have 3 chanter 3 paladin my my party on one of my playthrough, for 6 chant and 3 zealous aura)

Beside of this, i never be in need of super-heavy tank even for upscaled potd playthrough, but still in an all-ranged party, a self-sufficient hard tank can be very good againts mega bosses.

To be fair you can make any combination work for you. I generally play without healer or support just to make the game at least a bit challenging. Going for multiple heralds in a party just makes it so you don't need skill to play because of how much defensive stats and sustain you get for free. I mean I'm currently running a party with myself as a devoted/bleak walker and then have Tekehu in the party as druid/chanter and the game has never been so easy. I have Maia in the party and Ishiza can face tank entire hordes of enemies and she hasn't died once. If you can do that do the squishiest party member in the game it's definitely broken.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@Boeroer

Better take Exalted Charge with my Arcane Knight? (Pallegina is the one with EE.)

Depends. Zealous Focus is ok. Only Exalted Focus is not really. I'd just spare the upgrade point and invest it into something else.

Although a lot of people underestimate how much impact higher movement speed has on melee dps (espacially if you can kill fast - most of your time spend will be running around). So Zealous/Exalted Charge can be a valid option.

Arctur

Arctur

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts

Thanks Boeroer; think I will try Exalted Charge this time.

Verde

Verde

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1657 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG
Paladin. Light of Pure Zeal.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15246 posts