Obsidian, please, stop your experiments with To-Hit notification

Phenomenum

Question

It's about overlay To-Hit notification, which appears around characters in battle.

Act 1. In one of the latest patches you "tweaked" it to show chance To-Graze instead chance To-Hit (through i don't remember if someone asked for this), and now it's provides limited information for player - showing chance to Graze, but zero info about Hit and Crit chances. I'm curious what was your intentions? You did it for what?

Act 2. After you had completely cut off Grazes in TB mode, the Graze chance is always 100% and your "tweaked-and-improved" notification provides 0 - ZERO, NOTHING, NOT A SINGLE - useful information for player. More than that - in TB mode it stills show imaginery To-Graze chance.

I love you guys, but all this things - is clearly a design oversight.

So be a man to admit and correct you mistakes - return To-Hit notification in normal state and never touch it again.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

UPDATE: If you still want to tweak it, show all information to players: Graze/Hit/Crit.

For example, if Acc = Defence, notification will show 25%/50%/0% and so on.

Edited by Phenomenum
  • Like 2

5 answers to this question

Yeah, I wasn't wild about the switch to showing adding to-graze information in the displayed hit chance since hits and crits are way more relevant than grazes. And the TB mode really messes with that now that they greatly inflated graze chance.

But, UX is really important. You can't vomit numbers all over the player. If you showed like a 25/50/15 graze/hit/crit breakdown instead of 90% chance to graze you would alienate like 95% of the player base for the 5% like you or me who wants that detailed breakdown.

I think they should just go back to showing "to hit" chances. You can infer to crit easily still in most cases (to hit - 50) and graze (100 - to hit). and in most cases the numbers don't get so high enough that it becomes impossible to do that inference anymore.

Edited by thelee

"But, UX is really important. You can't vomit numbers all over the player. If you showed like a 25/50/15 graze/hit/crit breakdown instead of 90% chance to graze you would alienate like 95% of the player base for the 5% like you or me who wants that detailed breakdown."

It was just some thoughts on my mind, i don't insist on graze/hit/crit detal at all. The main message of my, hm... "bugreport" is to revert notificarions in previous To-Hit state, since they a messed up with TB anyway.

^ Do agree with Wormerine here.

It would be nice if there was a setting that would control if players see chance "to-at-least-graze" or "to-at-least-hit".

P.S. Personally... I don't even read those chance numbers on mouseover. I only care for color... e.g: green - means I will land that cc for sure.

Because usually I check enemy defenses/AR anyway; plus plan my party before starting the run.

Edited by MaxQuest