More Hardwood + Round Holes = Lots of Scoring in Basketball 2K19

Leferd

Watching Draymond’s gradual decline is leading me to come to terms with my own pickup game.

• Haha 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

7 hours ago, Leferd said:

Watching Draymond’s gradual decline is leading me to come to terms with my own pickup game.

He's had some rough games against the Celtics. I'd say a lot of it is they are just a deep team. Draymond looked great against the one-man teams they played to get to the finals, but both Memphis and Boston are harder to control. 

Of course, the complaints about his offense are silly. He has never been a scorer. He is still getting assists.

11 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

He's had some rough games against the Celtics. I'd say a lot of it is they are just a deep team. Draymond looked great against the one-man teams they played to get to the finals, but both Memphis and Boston are harder to control. 

Of course, the complaints about his offense are silly. He has never been a scorer. He is still getting assists.

Boston just really matches up well with Golden State in general, and neutralizes most of Draymond’s strengths.

Hoping Steph continues to be sublime.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

giphy.gif

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 2 weeks later...

@BartimaeusOn a scale of 1 to Obsidian announces Alpha Protocol 2, how excited are you to hear that Kevin Durant has asked to be traded, effectively ending this Nets superteam having only 1 playoff series win to show for it?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

35 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

@BartimaeusOn a scale of 1 to Obsidian announces Alpha Protocol 2, how excited are you to hear that Kevin Durant has asked to be traded, effectively ending this Nets superteam having only 1 playoff series win to show for it?

He might actually win games on another team, so not particularly, :(.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I thought you hated superteams and you'd be happy about this.

If the cost of blowing up what seems to be a failed superteam is actually making another (and presumably more successful) superteam elsewhere, it'd be bittersweet at best, wouldn't it? Situation could easily be worse and not better once he's traded - we'll see where he goes. On a side-note, considering the Brooklyn Nets' historical lack of success and the fact that this "superteam" obviously didn't work out, I guess my ire is more reserved at the offending players in question and less the team in this particular instance.

Edited by Bartimaeus

24 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I guess my ire is more reserved at the offending players in question and less the team in this particular instance.

I can never understand this mentality. Superstar players have a great deal of power and they use said power to put themselves in the perceived best possible situation to win championships. How is this bad? Isn't this what we want from our athletes, for them to desire to win championships above all else? So they game the system to do it, so what? Use every available tool at your disposal.

I can understand hating players that quit on teams *cough*JamesHarden*cough* or head cases like Kyrie or players that want to collect paychecks but don't seem so keen on actually playing.

/glares in Ben Simmons' direction

No matter what you think of KD, whenever he's healthy and out there he's playing hard and doing everything he can to win.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

26 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I can never understand this mentality. Superstar players have a great deal of power and they use said power to put themselves in the perceived best possible situation to win championships. How is this bad? Isn't this what we want from our athletes, for them to desire to win championships above all else? So they game the system to do it, so what? Use every available tool at your disposal.

I can understand hating players that quit on teams *cough*JamesHarden*cough* or head cases like Kyrie or players that want to collect paychecks but don't seem so keen on actually playing.

/glares in Ben Simmons' direction

No matter what you think of KD, whenever he's healthy and out there he's playing hard and doing everything he can to win.

No, I think the "championships above all else" mentality is pretty silly*. I want some competitive balance to make the sport interesting (see: me hating college football), and taken to its logical extreme, championship-chasing undermines that (on top of devaluing championships period). Both the NBA and NFL thankfully have a salary cap that makes it so things don't usually get too extreme, but I'd actually like to see them become even more stringent than they are. I'm pretty happy when guys like Jokic take a trillion dollars and stay with the team that made them instead of going to whatever's the current hot destination. Somewhat conversely to me wanting more stringent salary caps, I'd also like to see stronger benefits in the NBA and especially the NFL for teams that draft players to be able to then retain their own players - for the NFL, something like a 10% cap discount if you drafted them would be pretty cool for encouraging homegrown talent to stay where they are, since the cap savings can then be passed on to pay those players more than competing outside offers. I like teams having consistent faces and identities over a long period of time, it makes them unique and memorable...as a opposed to the circus clown crap that happens too much in the NBA, where teams are made and then implode in the span of a couple of years.

*I mean really, even right after the Bucks won the championship two years ago, I said the journey was more fun than the destination, didn't I? Sticking to my guns here...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ho, you'd have a lot of fun watching our football leagues. Not one of the larger, more competitive ones that don't have an issue of a couple of super teams dominating the leagues. Interntional competitions end up being a battle of superteams with nary an upset in sight - usually, at least - and the insane amount of money thrown around by billionaire team owners and the payout from the international competitions make sure everything spirals even more towards a small group of teams dominating everything.

Fun fact: One of our teams as twice the budget of every other team... combined. Guess how often they don't win the local championship? :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I agree about competitive balance, I don't want the whole thing unregulated and we get situations like the New York Yankees outspending other teams 2 or 3 to 1. But that's an issue with the system, I have no problem with players gaming whatever system they're in, so long as it's in pursuit of winning. For example, I had no issue with LeBron going to Miami. I did however have issue with The Decision; even if it raised money for charity, that was some EPIC LEVEL self-fellating.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

56 minutes ago, majestic said:

Ho, you'd have a lot of fun watching our football leagues. Not one of the larger, more competitive ones that don't have an issue of a couple of super teams dominating the leagues. Interntional competitions end up being a battle of superteams with nary an upset in sight - usually, at least - and the insane amount of money thrown around by billionaire team owners and the payout from the international competitions make sure everything spirals even more towards a small group of teams dominating everything.

Fun fact: One of our teams as twice the budget of every other team... combined. Guess how often they don't win the local championship? :p

International leagues without competitive balance at least make a kind of sense, since they're pitting the top-end players of each nation against each other, but intranational leagues that don't have it feel like a joke to me.

34 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I agree about competitive balance, I don't want the whole thing unregulated and we get situations like the New York Yankees outspending other teams 2 or 3 to 1. But that's an issue with the system, I have no problem with players gaming whatever system they're in, so long as it's in pursuit of winning. For example, I had no issue with LeBron going to Miami. I did however have issue with The Decision; even if it raised money for charity, that was some EPIC LEVEL self-fellating.

I would agree for the most part - don't hate the player, hate the game. But there are particular players like Durant that are pretty much impossible not to hate because of how far they take it. If he goes to Pheonix or something, it's going to be difficult to be happy about it.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

International leagues without competitive balance at least make a kind of sense, since they're pitting the top-end players of each nation against each other, but intranational leagues that don't have it feel like a joke to me.

Yeah, but they don't. They put the top end teams* of each nations against each other, and they're all inside a money feedback loop. More international exposure leads to more income through competitions and better sponsorship deals leads to better players, more money and more sponsorship, and perhaps a Russian oligarch or two or some Sheikh with more money than sense dropping hundreds of millions on any given team. It's a mess.

*Teams are not limited to their own nationality. Most superteams simply consist of the world's best players, regardless of country of origin. Not talking about World or European championships here, but regular national and internatonal leagues, like your MLS.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I would agree for the most part - don't hate the player, hate the game. But there are particular players like Durant that are pretty much impossible not to hate because of how far they take it. If he goes to Pheonix or something, it's going to be difficult to be happy about it.

As someone who appreciates rasslin' heels, I now want KD to join the Suns, win the championship, win a 3rd Finals MVP, and then cut a sweet heel promo burying the state of Wisconsin and letting everyone know the superiority of Vermont and Northern New York cheddar cheese to their Wisconsin counterparts.

Side-note: While I would not seriously disparage Wisconsin cheese, I think northern New York (think very close to Canada) cheese can take the Pepsi challenge with it.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

No, I think the "championships above all else" mentality is pretty silly*. I want some competitive balance to make the sport interesting (see: me hating college football), and taken to its logical extreme, championship-chasing undermines that (on top of devaluing championships period). Both the NBA and NFL thankfully have a salary cap that makes it so things don't usually get too extreme, but I'd actually like to see them become even more stringent than they are. I'm pretty happy when guys like Jokic take a trillion dollars and stay with the team that made them instead of going to whatever's the current hot destination. Somewhat conversely to me wanting more stringent salary caps, I'd also like to see stronger benefits in the NBA and especially the NFL for teams that draft players to be able to then retain their own players - for the NFL, something like a 10% cap discount if you drafted them would be pretty cool for encouraging homegrown talent to stay where they are, since the cap savings can then be passed on to pay those players more than competing outside offers. I like teams having consistent faces and identities over a long period of time, it makes them unique and memorable...as a opposed to the circus clown crap that happens too much in the NBA, where teams are made and then implode in the span of a couple of years.

*I mean really, even right after the Bucks won the championship two years ago, I said the journey was more fun than the destination, didn't I? Sticking to my guns here...

But what if KD joins Jokic in Denver?

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

4 hours ago, Keyrock said:

As someone who appreciates rasslin' heels, I now want KD to join the Suns, win the championship, win a 3rd Finals MVP, and then cut a sweet heel promo burying the state of Wisconsin and letting everyone know the superiority of Vermont and Northern New York cheddar cheese to their Wisconsin counterparts.

Side-note: While I would not seriously disparage Wisconsin cheese, I think northern New York (think very close to Canada) cheese can take the Pepsi challenge with it.

You're barking up the wrong tree regarding cheeses - with the exception of when used for Mexican food, I don't like or eat cheese, :p.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Fit is not going to be an issue for KD in Phoenix. KD's game is so well rounded and his basketball IQ so high that you can plug him into practically any system and he'll fit right in. Remember, when he was on the Dubs he was often a jack of all trades, doing whatever was required to help the team win. It's all about health. The Suns will be a terrifying team to play if fully healthy. Will they be fully healthy in May? :shrugz:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 4 weeks later...

huh.

edit: limited info, but the extreme brief video included with the wapo story suggests mr. kemp saw self as a victim as 'posed to a villain. vid is providing zero context and am needing read into limited images more than a little, but it looks as if there is no effort to flee by kemp and am believing he may be seen pointing responders towards the direction in which the other incident participant fled.

too early to reach any conclusions, but the story were... unexpected.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Gasp! 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)