Cinéma vérité - and all other types

Amentep

I think I've seen it 3 times in theater and 2 times at home :D #Spideyverse

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Captain America: Civil War

I'm going through some of the good Marvel films I've only watched once. And this was as good as I remember it being. Next will be Thor: Ragnorak and Infinity War.

Edit: 20 minutes into Thor: Ragnarok and I'm laughing out loud. Why don't I own this on Blu-Ray?

I really like Thor: Ragnarok. It's so much fun. And crazy.

sign.jpg

So apparently, allegedly, Mysterio's a good guy in this. I dread to think of that for a few reasons... Firstly for MCU's track record so far of introducing villains as good guys - this brings Davos from Iron Fist and Mordo from Doctor Strange to mind and the stretches required to make those guys "turn bad" were overwhelmingly stupid. Even Billy Russo's reveal was one of the creakier aspects in The Punisher too. So this makes me worries about the mental gymnastics they'll make Mysterio go through to become a villain if he effectively does, or alternatively that his sheer popularity as a villain spells out the eventual 'twist' that he's the mastermind behind the elementals in the trailer all along or whatnot. Actually the most shocking thing they could do would be to make Mysterio a legitimately good guy who stays good and becomes akin to another Avenger in the MCU canon - that would be surprising and actually potentially rather interesting too. We'll see, I suppose.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Think about what his powers are and think about what's going on.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Think about what his powers are and think about what's going on.

I have, and I've factored that into my post above. I expect the 'twist' to be it's all elaborate creations of his own and that he's the one behind it all for reasons. I just don't think it's an angle that works as a 'twist' because we already expect a famous supervillain to turn out to be a supervillain, and why I would see something very different that actually defies those expectations being a more interesting potential route instead.

Edited by algroth

Twists haven't been a strong point in the MCU. Good characterization of the villains has been. Not one they've always managed, but when they do, it works. Like their version of Thanos or Vulture. If he has a sympathetic motive, he can be likable.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Twists haven't been a strong point in the MCU. Good characterization of the villains has been. Not one they've always managed, but when they do, it works. Like their version of Thanos or Vulture. If he has a sympathetic motive, he can be likable.

The characterization of villains has been a weakness of theirs to the point it's become a meme, up until a couple of years ago when they've began to revert the trend through the likes of Ego, Vulture, Thanos and, on the Netflix side of things, Kilgrave and Fisk. Glad they've turned back on that at least. But Homecoming also offered one of the few genuinely surprising twists in the franchise thus far, and I wouldn't mind a little more of that myself. The fact that they're so far trying to frame Mysterio as a good guy both in press statements and in the trailer itself makes me wary that they may be trying to do so in the film as well and thus put a few too many eggs on the 'twist villain' basket, only to cause another Talia al'Ghul situation. Anyhow, just some thoughts and concerns I have relative to this trailer.

Edited by algroth

I pictured Mysterio as compmetely different, I didn't think it was going to be in Europe. I think Vegas or Egypt would have been better showcase areas for Mysterio's powers. In fact, Vegas would have been perfect given the powers and locale.

I agree with alot of the video comments which stated "He seems more like Iron Man and Thor mixed than Mysterio." also "So Sandman, Hydroman and Dormammu" I don't think what's shown in the trailer is a good display of Mysterio's powers simply because it's lesser of what has been shown in the comics, shows and video games which have made Mysterio fun.

Now I'm curious, IF Mysterio is good, maybe this will be an Ultimate Spider-Man cut where Mysterio dies by accident and then his daughter takes the Mysterio name and is even more powerful, becoming the true Mysterio villain.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Hmmmm... the Ultimate Spider-Man universe is more interesting because he had powers, when he died, his spirit was trapped in his fishbowl helmet, that's where he communicated with his daughter to teach her everything he knew.

He even defeated Dr. Strange and Spidey simultaneously at one point before his daughter took the helm. It's strange that he beat Dr. Strange because Dr. Strange can manipulate realities whilist Mysterio just makes one believe he's changed reality but the mind stone, nor Loki couldn't even stand against Mysterious mastery for illusion and dark magic at one point either. I wanted to see some Cris Angel weirdness on screen, looks like a mixture of different villains into one though.

Edited by SonicMage117

In the classic universe, Mysterio created technology to create illusions. So anything you see in the trailer might be an illusion. :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

True, in Classic universe he is essectially to Marvel what Scarecrow is to DC.

I want to see this type of stuff in Far From Home

Doesn't look like that's quite the vibe they're going for but still excited. I'm going to have to see more to be super hyped though. Which is kinda weird for me since Spider-Man is my favorite Marvel hero and I've been waiting for Mysterio to be on the big screen for years.

Speaking of Batman, who else loved this scene?

I feel like that Titans built up to reveal Batman is leagues ahead of quality. When you look at any Batman movie in the past, it just doesn't have that mysterious and captivating vibe that it should have. That was missing until Titans came along, which I feel is the correct way to introduce Batman (nothing to do with the killing, just the way story was structured and paced). Batman is legendary and should be treated with respect, I think CW shows and Titans is doing that perfectly.

• Like 1

I don't watch the show and I don't believe for a second that Starfire is dead. Or that's the 'real' Batman unless he is brainwashed. L0LZ

From what I understand...

it was all a dream!

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't watch the show and I don't believe for a second that Starfire is dead. Or that's the 'real' Batman unless he is brainwashed. L0LZ

Without spoiling too much...

It was ultimately just an illusion, Trigon pulled a Scarecrow/Mysterio on Nightwing to find out who he was, what his greatest fear was and then found out inadvertly who Batman's true identity was in the process. Trigon was prying inside his mind the whole time, you see, acting as a good guy to string **** further along.

But aside all that, even in a fair fight there is no way that Nightwing could ever defeat Batman on his own turf and even the inclusion of Jason Todd taught us that Bruce upgraded the Batcave and everything else - important info since **** hasn't been back since he left.

Nightwing wanted to win in the illusion so Trigon let him in order to persuade him into giving himself over to the darkness. The trade was made now the Titans are closer to becoming the actual Titans team. Now all that needs to happen is for Jason Todd to recruit Cyborg who living in the Doom Patrol mansion and getting back **** to sanity. As for the moment, **** thinks he's the king of the castle and that he's somehow inherited everything that once belonged to Bruce, possibly leaving Dawn and the baby as well because **** is the darkness in his mind, after all so all this would be only valid.

Edit:

All the **** are Grayson's first name. Wow... so many stars

Edited by SonicMage117

No dicking around here, fellas.

That spider man trailer looks interesting. Likely going to watch the movie, because the first one with that guy was p.good. Though I'm feeling like it's a bit weird because if you don't just have half a brain, you should realize the coincidence that Parker is going somewhere else and suddenly spider man appears in the same location while Parker isn't around again the same moment.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."