9 seconds though. Well, it will be shortened, but it's still long. 30% lash... uhm. Let's call it 6 seconds investment to get a 30% lash. In 6 seconds... you attack (on average?) every ~3 seconds, so twice. So you need to get in 6 hits for the lash to 'pay back' for those missed hits. Which is (assuming 3 seconds per attack again) 18 seconds. Add on some other buffs, and combat in general should last over 20 seconds for the spell to be worth it?

Edited by Clerith

It's too bad that this is how they decided to address weapon styles — it would've been so much more interesting to create improvements to OHS and THS when making full attacks. If that would've resulted in too much DPS, then it would've been more consistent to just remove full attacks altogether. As it stands now, there is no difference between primary and full attacks for 3/4 of the weapon styles and the main benefit for TWS (the two proc chances) remains. 

I mean, I'm glad to see any fix to weapon styles, it just seems like kind of a meh solution.

So I'm wondering if the Carnage like attack from the new axe can proc actual Carnage? I would assume they would have thought of that and prevented it but if not - we may have a new Berzerker AoE super weapon.

Regarding proccing the 1% on taking damage abilities the first ideas that came to mind were a Fighter/x with unbending and just make him stand in a beam/wall (as Boeroer already mentioned). But also dropping a Missile Salvo on him (with unbending up ofc) should have a pretty high chance of proccing.

And yeah I gotta say I'm disappointed at the severity of the DW nerf - hopefully they tone it back a bit before release.

Ok...

Some mediocre weapons... check

An OP spell... um, do you honestly believe Wizards need more?

Another unique spell... see commentary above

Nerf to two weapon style... talk about lame moves. Spell casters were already gods, why take away melee damage? A buff to one-handed and two-handed weapon styles would be logical, but nerfing two weapon style was lazy, borderline incompetent. Please rethink this move... this topic is worthy of its own string.

• Like 1

So I'm wondering if the Carnage like attack from the new axe can proc actual Carnage? I would assume they would have thought of that and prevented it but if not - we may have a new Berzerker AoE super weapon.

Regarding proccing the 1% on taking damage abilities the first ideas that came to mind were a Fighter/x with unbending and just make him stand in a beam/wall (as Boeroer already mentioned). But also dropping a Missile Salvo on him (with unbending up ofc) should have a pretty high chance of proccing.

And yeah I gotta say I'm disappointed at the severity of the DW nerf - hopefully they tone it back a bit before release.

Gonna test it on my witch when I get to it.

Not sure if Berserker Raw damage would trigger the 1% on damage effects, but if they do, that's another excellent source. My Brute is going to love the 1% on Brilliant cloak when I can get it. 

As far as the Battleaxe goes, the AoE on crit doesn't proc Carnage. In fact, I think it might override Carnage, or at least I didn't seem to be getting both effects when it went off. It's nice to have a chance to essentially proc Blood Storm's Frenzy refresh on kill effect for free though, if you're into that sort of thing. Just keep in mind it'll constantly flood your combat log with "More powerful inspiration already in place" messages. 

As for the dual wielding nerf, I agree there are better ways to do it (Why not just give 2H Full Attacks extra damage, to represent the amount of force you're committing to the strike. And maybe one-handed Full Attacks could get extra accuracy or something). I also feel like the 2H Weapon talent bonus damage could be 30% instead of 15%. Since the dual wielding speed bonus is already innately 30%, up to 45% with the talent. 

The nerf was done in this way imo for 2 reasons:

• Easier to nerf 1 style rather than buff 2-3 other styles. Less effort
  • If other styles were buffed, it will lead to Full Attacks being stronger across the board and when content is unchanged will lead to easier gameplay experience. Although the change ideally should be symmetric and AI can benefit too, human players are likely more able to take advantage of the improvements. And coding AI will be also more work. 
Edited by mosspit
  • Like 1

The Phantasm's Brilliant chane is very, very low. Even if you get damaged 50 times in a row (by whatever dmg sources) the chance of triggering Brilliant is only 39.5%. With 100 times damage it's 63.4%. Meh... At the moment it seems that the best way to get a proc would be to stand in somebody's Wall of Flame: very low damage per hit and 1 hit per second.

I really question the relevance of these kind of decisions. I mean how are we supposed to use these kind of effects in a meaning way?

I didn't expect the situation to regress further - Originally we are getting 10-30% procs, then nerfs to 5%. And now 1%??? What's next? Triggers of 1 per game?

• Like 2

The Phantasm's Brilliant chane is very, very low. Even if you get damaged 50 times in a row (by whatever dmg sources) the chance of triggering Brilliant is only 39.5%. With 100 times damage it's 63.4%. Meh... At the moment it seems that the best way to get a proc would be to stand in somebody's Wall of Flame: very low damage per hit and 1 hit per second.

I really question the relevance of these kind of decisions. I mean how are we supposed to use these kind of effects in a meaning way?

I didn't expect the situation to regress further - Originally we are getting 10-30% procs, then nerfs to 5%. And now 1%??? What's next? Triggers of 1 per game?

I don't understand the thought process behind 'balancing' a single player game. Difficulty adjustments so that PotD isn't trivial, sure, and fixing the skills that could permanently combo off of each other, but then they do weird things like cutting the Baubles of the Fin damage buff from 5% to 3% or cutting DoC's recovery reduction by half. And that's not even getting into what happened to poor Charge. Kilay said elsewhere on the forums that it just creates more problems for modders, as people ask for mods to revert changes. 

The problem, for me, was never having overpowered or broken items, it was the enemies not being equipped or built to make the best use of the combat system. 

• Like 1

- nerf to dual wielding: well done. Could be better but i like it ( as other said a full dmg roll for 2h or 1h could be better, but still...). Anyway nothing "major", if you are a rouge you will never actually feel it.

- new spells: they had to add backers spell at some point. I like them from reading the descripion, thumbs up to the authors.

- new equips/weapon: brillace mantle could be the most promising one. Basically useful for solo play, in particular to martial classes ( finally a way to get back some resources in longer fights).i like much also the badass axe, in particular the requirement of 25 str. Nive touch.

-ui enanchments: good. Atm is still possible to enchant an itme with 2 property of the same branch, obviuosly a bug

Overall great improvements.

• Like 2

I don't understand the thought process behind 'balancing' a single player game. Difficulty adjustments so that PotD isn't trivial, sure, and fixing the skills that could permanently combo off of each other, but then they do weird things like cutting the Baubles of the Fin damage buff from 5% to 3% or cutting DoC's recovery reduction by half. And that's not even getting into what happened to poor Charge. Kilay said elsewhere on the forums that it just creates more problems for modders, as people ask for mods to revert changes. 

The problem, for me, was never having overpowered or broken items, it was the enemies not being equipped or built to make the best use of the combat system. 

#justobsidianthings

It's MUCH easier to tweak some numbers than to rewrite the AI to do a better job in combat. It's also easier for the developer to nerf stronger things than buff weak ones, because the latter's effect cannot be predicted, while the former will - at worse case scenario - make an ability useless, which seems to be acceptable. I'm honestly not surprised that they're doing it this way.

It is, of course, still a **** move, but I've been saying that since the first patch. Nobody cares and nothing will really change.

Well to be fair: there might just not be enough free developer resources to do a AI rewrite or to do more serious overhauls. If you have 4 things that are supposed to be balanced, and one of them is off balance because it's too good - then from an economical point of view it's best to tune that one down. I mean instead of tuning the other three up. If that's the best approach in the long run... don't know. I somehow doubt it. Few players complain about buffs and then turn their back to the game. It's nerfs that can cause that. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Gaming company sins:

Limited number of items or ability to customize appearance... yup

Heavy-handed nerfs... yup

Numerous useless skills, due to high resource cost or weak output... yup

Weak story... yup

Most people that continue to play are either hopeful DLC might address some issues above or simply enjoy isometric RPGs (not too many out there).

Imo, as I will parrot what I mention before, nerf the numbers but don't kill the interactions.

For numbers here they can do something like +3 instead of +5 to a stats improvement when an effect is supposed to take place. But not to use such a low proc like 1%. 1% is really ridiculous in the sense of why even bother? Because statistically it is just not feasible to design a build around that kind of interactions.

Edited by mosspit
  • Like 3

Imo, as I will parrot what I mention before, nerf the numbers but don't kill the interactions.

For numbers here they can do something like +3 instead of +5 to a stats improvement when an effect is supposed to take place. But not to use such a low proc like 1%. 1% is really ridiculous in the sense of why even bother? Because statistically it is just not feasible to design a build around that kind of interactions.

Yeah, 1% is good number for ARPG, but not for Isometric Game

• Like 1

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Most people that continue to play are either hopeful DLC might address some issues above or simply enjoy isometric RPGs (not too many out there).

Yep. Unfortunately, not many developers create these kind of games. If Deadfire had actual DIRECT competition on the market, we would be probably posting on a different forum right about now. But since nobody else cares about isometric RTwAP game fans, we have to take what we get..

• Like 1

Yeah, 1% is good number for ARPG, but not for Isometric Game

That cloak with Brillant buff can be built around. 

You basically want 3 things:

• Means to proc the buff as reliably as possible
  • Means to heal damage caused to yourself
  • Meaningful ways to utilize Brilliant buff.

So, this is my idea

Brute (Berserker & Devoted) dual wielding Scepters and spamming full attacks with Scepter modal on

You'd get:

• High accuracy (10 accuracy, 30%+50% graze to hit, 30%+25%+5% (+30% on Barbaric Blow) hit to crit). Additionaly, you can attack either Deflection or Fortitude
  • Great crit damage (+30% plus additional +50% on Barbaric Blow)
  • Penetration from both subclasses (+4 passive, +2/3 from full attack skills) on weapon that already does split damage. If that's not enough, look at how often you'll be critting for additional +50% PEN
  • Action Speed from Frenzy (15%), DW Style (30%+15%), Bloodlust (20%)
  • Recovery from Fighter's Armored Grace and Barbarian gets instant recovery on kill
  • Continuous self-healing from Barb's Robust and Fighter's Constant recovery
  • Great defensive stats (+3 armor from Barb alone) and CON buffs

Brilliant Cloak isn't relied upon as this Brute can function even without it, but Brilliant proc would put it into overdrive, ensuring enough resources for constant barrage of massive crits from full attacks. Eye of Wael (unique Scepter) would be great for this build because it works very well with high crit chance and provides invisiblity and random illusion buffs. Keybreaker's Scepter in off-hand for Frighten on crit

Edited by Somnium_Meum
  • Like 2