Ydwin: Is She Really A Fampyr?

What are Fampyrs exactly?

Fampyrs are kith that have had their lives unnaturally extended. Though they retain most of a normal humanoid appearance, they are merely a few missed meals away from devolving into mindless monstrosities, and they know it.

As fampyrs maintain individual personalities and memories, this morbid knowledge may manifest itself in a number of ways. Some may become reclusive and cautious, avoiding any threats that could prematurely weaken or destroy them, and others become outgoing hedonists, seeking to enjoy every pleasure the world has to offer while they can. Sooner or later, every fampyr (unless killed) will inevitably succumb to decay.

Because fampyrs require living essence in order to stay alive, and the blood of kith provides the richest and most immediate source of it, they are shunned by most civilized communities. As a result, fampyrs tend to live at the fringes of society, if they participate in it at all.

Copypasta Source: PoE wiki/PoE Bestiary

This means Ydwin is only kind of a fampyr. (Halfpyr?) Since she was still young (for an elf, I guess), she hasn’t really extended her life past a natural death. She just needs life essence to keep her body (which she is now just possessing) alive. I find it easier to understand if I just think of her body as a construct and her soul is controlling it, but it needs an occassional blood oiling.

Edited by anathanielh
  • Like 3

Probably she is not a Fampyr in full sense of the word. She experement with herself. We need wait to Onsidian change Ydwin to full companion, (PLEASE ONSIDIAN),  and we can know all history. I think maybe she is someting similar to Fampyr, maybe someting new or someting old, ( I know She is not older than the gods).

We dont know the undead system pre-changes in Wheel with the aparition of fake gods.

So many questions.... We need the tabletop version and a big suplements with all lore :biggrin:

Edited by Aranduin

1) Removing one's soul from the Wheel does not make one a fampyr. Keeping one's soul trapped in one's body after death does.

2) She's not dead yet

Trapping a soul in a body makes them undead, not a Fampyr.

Fampyr is the highest form(?) of the undead. They requre a steady supply of effence or they will decay, gradually falling down the undead chain, loosing memories, conciousness and control. The lowest point are skeletons, which don't require essence anymore. 

A question about Ydwin being a fampyr is a good one, as just does sustain herself if essence if I remember well. For reference here are bestiary notes for fampyrs and darguls, 2nd one proving that they belong to the same "chain".

DyUWvXP.jpg

ZnRYNRi.jpg

• Like 3

At this point, I'm pretty sure she's a fampyr. It made me pretty uncomfortable when I first met her.

It sounds like she avoids cannibalism to do it though, which is good.

...wut?

A fampyr is a kind of undead. Ydwin is not dead. Even if she had turned herself into a fampyr by severing her soul from the Wheel (which I don't think is true), she'd still become a fampyr only after her death

At this point, I'm pretty sure she's a fampyr. It made me pretty uncomfortable when I first met her.

...wut?

A fampyr is a kind of undead. Ydwin is not dead. Even if she had turned herself into a fampyr by severing her soul from the Wheel (which I don't think is true), she'd still become a fampyr only after her death

Do we know that Fampyrs are undead - the only info I have found is information above: extending their lives by unnatural means. Severing ones soul from the wheel might very much mean that. 

However, if I remember well darguls and guls were dead bodies to which their souls were tied after their death. That would suggest that fampyrs are those who managed to keep their body and mind from decaying. 

What did severing Ydwin soul from the wheel mean exatly? Not die? Not get reincarnated?

• Like 3

...wut?

I mean, if I remember right, she doesn't feel the same way she used to and can only consume soul essence now, and she *has* to or she'll lose her mind. That sounds pretty un-dead by the games standards.

I remember Heritage Hill forcibly attached souls to bodies and that's why the dead became undead. But I think the rest of them were still alive and "normal.". Which favors what you say, but then Ydwin should seem normal.

Except she detached her soul from the wheel somehow..

• Like 1

...wut?

I mean, if I remember right, she doesn't feel the same way she used to and can only consume soul essence now, and she *has* to or she'll lose her mind. That sounds pretty un-dead by the games standards.

I remember Heritage Hill forcibly attached souls to bodies and that's why the dead became undead. But I think the rest of them were still alive and "normal.". Which favors what you say, but then Ydwin should seem normal.

Except she detached her soul from the wheel somehow..

Does she say that? When? It didn't seem to have come up in my games 

...wut?

I want to say that this is actually addressed in her recruitment dialogue...please stand by...

Ydwin facts:

+ Bleeds

+ Can feel pain

+ She requires essence to survive

+ Her soul is disconnected from not only the wheel, but also her own body

Somewhat facts: 

+ Live people and animal essence are tastier than luminous adra

Dialogue: 

[Metaphysics 6*] Watcher: "How do you intend to manage the decay of your flesh and escalating desire for soul essence?"

*Insert sarcastic Aloth and Ydwin banter*

Theeeen...

- Ydwin: "I am concerned by neither. I will sate my appetite with the souls of animals, just as I sated my appetite with their flesh while - while - in my previous life."

- Ydwin: "In the absence of live animals, luminous adra has proven sufficient to sustain me. "  A slight grimace crosses her features like a shadow. 

Edited by Epixia
  • Like 5

Dialogue: 

[Metaphysics 6*] Watcher: "How do you intend to manage the decay of your flesh and escalating desire for soul essence?"

Theeeen...

- Ydwin: "I am concerned by neither. I will sate my appetite with the souls of animals, just as I sated my appetite with their flesh while - while - in my previous life."

- Ydwin: "In the absence of live animals, luminous adra has proven sufficient to sustain me. "  A slight grimace crosses her features like a shadow. 

Thanks! I was hoping to caputure it ingame as I was at the point of recruiting her in my current playthrough, but my Paladin/barbarian is better in smashing and intimidating than in metaphysics. 

• Like 2

Dialogue: 

Theeeen...

Thanks! I was hoping to caputure it ingame as I was at the point of recruiting her in my current playthrough, but my Paladin/barbarian is better in smashing and intimidating than in metaphysics. 

SO, she IS a Fampyr. I missed that. I guess that confirms it or is she speculating on a future state? She has no abilities...hmm.

• Like 2

SO, she IS a Fampyr. I missed that. I guess that confirms it or is she speculating on a future state? She has no abilities...hmm.

Maybe its just a mechanics case. Having a full blown Fampyr in the party would probably be OP.

• Like 1
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

Maybe its just a mechanics case. Having a full blown Fampyr in the party would probably be OP.

I always took her being a cipher as their compromise for not being able to give her full Fampyr abilities. She could probably get pretty close as a Mindstalker though.  At least as far as cool Fampyr-ey abilities.

Can you imagine if they actually gave her the full Fampyr immunities and everything though?  She'd be ridiculously OP.

• Like 3

I always took her being a cipher as their compromise for not being able to give her full Fampyr abilities. She could probably get pretty close as a Mindstalker though. At least as far as cool Fampyr-ey abilities.

Can you imagine if they actually gave her the full Fampyr immunities and everything though? She'd be ridiculously OP.

This is also the result of her not being a full companion. Imagine the possibilities of actually engaging a fampyr that isn't going to try to murder you in conversation, besides the ones from PoE.

• Like 1