Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Charm breaking if you sneeze on them.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

gristlethick

gristlethick

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

*charm*

*walks into chill fog and is grazed for 4 damage*

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT A SECOND HERE.

I get that throwing fireballs on charmed opponents was beyond broken. But if it's going to break on .1 damage there's not much of a point to charm. You either choose if your party charms things or casts big AOE spells. You can't have both.

• Wormerine likes this

doctoruniverse

doctoruniverse

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

I think the reason for this is so you can't charm an enemy and then beat them to death.

Haplok

Haplok

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, you can use Puppet Master instead. At least now you have incentive to do so.

• Purudaya and PantherX14 like this

gkathellar

gkathellar

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1993 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Doesn't bother me. Charm broke on attack in the old IE games.

I get that throwing fireballs on charmed opponents was beyond broken. But if it's going to break on .1 damage there's not much of a point to charm. You either choose if your party charms things or casts big AOE spells. You can't have both.

Or just aim better :p

• Queeg and PantherX14 like this

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1031 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Unless I'm remembering it incorrectly (which wouldn't surprise me because I don't use ciphers too often in POE1), charm didn't break on receiving damage in the first game and that was one of the reasons ciphers were considered OP. And yeah, it was cheesy.

anathanielh

anathanielh

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts
Honestly, you just have to aim better or dominate instead of charm. Attacking them and still having them charmed would be broken beyond belief as it’s basically a super long stun.

Edited by anathanielh, 13 July 2018 - 04:13 PM.

mosspit

mosspit

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
OTOH, can anyone verify if the reverse is true - hitting your charmed allies should break them out of the state.

I would think the effects should be symmetric but I just notice that it didn't work when I tried to knock my own ally to his senses (Eder affected by hostile Whispers of Treason)

anathanielh

anathanielh

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts

OTOH, can anyone verify if the reverse is true - hitting your charmed allies should break them out of the state.

I would think the effects should be symmetric but I just notice that it didn't work when I tried to knock my own ally to his senses (Eder affected by hostile Whispers of Treason)

That’s not exactly the same. It would have to be the enemies hitting your charmed party member in order to mirror the situation, but enemies don’t hit charmed party members.
Paladins have a passive that allows them to smack an ally and remove charmed status, though.

Edited by anathanielh, 13 July 2018 - 05:50 PM.

• mosspit and PantherX14 like this

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1336 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Use Dominate instead, I'm fairly sure it doesn't break in the same way, at least in the current patch.

mosspit

mosspit

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

That’s not exactly the same. It would have to be the enemies hitting your charmed party member in order to mirror the situation, but enemies don’t hit charmed party members.
Paladins have a passive that allows them to smack an ally and remove charmed status, though.

Right.... I guess I had a brain fart....

Maybe I will notice it if my charmed team mates stand on a hostile Wall of Fire or Chillfog and see what happens. Thanks.
  • anathanielh likes this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2026 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Maybe I will notice it if my charmed team mates stand on a hostile Wall of Fire or Chillfog and see what happens.

We can also try confuse the enemies (esp. barbarians and AoEers). This way there is a higher chance they will hit our charmed party members.
  • mosspit likes this

mosspit

mosspit

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Thats a good point. But I think it might be easier to just cast an Int Inspiration on my charmed allies (no roll checks). Get rids of Charmed but consumes the Inspiration in the meantime.

For some reason, we can land friendly buffs on flipped allies. I remembered we can't do so in PoE1.

Edited by mosspit, 13 July 2018 - 08:27 PM.

no1fanboy

no1fanboy

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 264 posts

*charm*
*walks into chill fog and is grazed for 4 damage*
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT A SECOND HERE.

Just use area of effect buffs/ debuffs instead. The AOE damage spells are pretty weak in deadfire anyway.

Its no biggy.

gkathellar

gkathellar

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1993 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Maybe I will notice it if my charmed team mates stand on a hostile Wall of Fire or Chillfog and see what happens.

We can also try confuse the enemies (esp. barbarians and AoEers). This way there is a higher chance they will hit our charmed party members.

That raises an interesting question: if an enemy charms one of your people, and you charm an enemy, and the enemy you've charmed damages your charmed party member, what happens?

Edited by gkathellar, 14 July 2018 - 06:29 AM.

mosspit

mosspit

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Didn't we needed to do that in PoE1?? Counter-charming was actually a thing. But yeah I have no idea lol

arkane83

arkane83

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 145 posts

That raises an interesting question: if an enemy charms one of your people, and you charm an enemy, and the enemy you've charmed your charmed party member, what happens?

Fampyr mating ritual
  • gkathellar, MaxQuest, Effusion and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users