Played a ton of barb in PoE1 and I find it weird that there's no such thing (carnage highlight indicator) in PoE2. Barb feels... off in PoE2 but I can't put my finger on it on why exactly.

Here's how it looks in PoE1 when you mouseover an enemy with a barb selected in your party:

9Ei2wNA.jpg

Here's how it looks in PoE2: 

4THI9vc.jpg

And on that note, does Carnage feel weird or it's just me? Sometimes I hit a guy right in the middle of 3-4 guys and hits/misses just one from the surrounding guys. I'm sorry in case I'm missing something really obvious. Has carnage been nerfed to a tiny radius or something? They description is still the same but the skill feels so different

• Like 2

Yeah, Carnage is definitely not as potent as it was in PoE. In part because the range is indeed much smaller; even with reasonably high int the area I think is smaller than the inner circle in your first image. You'll hit enemies standing right next to your target with it, but rarely anyone beyond that. 

But it's also the damage that's less. The description says something like "33% of base weapon damage", as far as I know none of the damage bonuses on your weapon attack carry over (you get Might bonus of course, but that applies to any attack). It's also damage as Raw now, which is nice in terms of penetration but also means no more Carnage shenanigans with effects applying to the entire AOE and such (though admittedly that's probably for the best). 

I have no idea whether it might scale with power level though, does anyone know? Sneak attack does, maybe the Carnage area does as well? 

• Like 1

Yeah, Carnage is definitely not as potent as it was in PoE. In part because the range is indeed much smaller; even with reasonably high int the area I think is smaller than the inner circle in your first image. You'll hit enemies standing right next to your target with it, but rarely anyone beyond that. 

Oh.. that's disappointing. Still a bit weird to completely remove the radius indicator though, was such useful feature.

Carnage now does a third of weapon damage as raw, far as I can tell not modified by attacks or weapon modifiers except for Barbaric Blow. Between that and the lack of AoE indicator, playing a Barbarian is a lot more frustrating and is why it feels off imo.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, Carnage has been nerfed hard. Lack of on-hit/on-crit effects is particularly sad. Although I hear it does proc Frenzy effects (Stagger from Spirit/Bleed from Bood). Haven't tested myself though.

Supposedly it does scale with Power Level. And it feels like its boosted by Streetfighter sneak attack boost. My Berserker/Streetfighter seems to do way more Carnage damage then my Berserker/Monk. Couple that with Lord Darryn's Voulge Static Thunder aoe effect on crit and he frequently does 30-50 damage to everyone near (at level 6).

Edited by Haplok

Carnage applies Staggered affliction from Spirit Frenzy. I'm not sure if it can apply bleed from Bleed Frenzy though. As far as I know it's the only effect that is applied through carnage.

This effect actually works against my high int Marauder (berserker/streetfighter), as it disables engagement and prevents Marauder from being flanked. On other hand it makes it extremely easy to trigger Deathblows passive from Rogue.

• Like 1

Yes, it procs Frenzy upgrades but that's it.

AoE size in general got nerfed compared to PoE. INT will now enlarge the actual area with its bonus, NOT the radius like it was in PoE. This lead to exponential growth of AoE sizes in PoE - that's gone in Deadfire.

For example if your circular area of effect is 50 square meters and you get 10% bonus it's now 55 square meters.

In PoE you had a radius of 4 meters (roughly 50 square meters) and 10% would lead to a radius of 4.4 meters. This would lead to an area of about 61 square meters.

With of INT this really got out of hand (in his example: 75% bonus from 25 INT would lead to from 50 to 87.5 square meters in Deadfire and from 50 to 154 in PoE).

In Deadfire the percentage bonus per point of INT is higher, but it applies differently and thus has less impact.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Carnage applies Staggered affliction from Spirit Frenzy. I'm not sure if it can apply bleed from Bleed Frenzy though. As far as I know it's the only effect that is applied through carnage.

This effect actually works against my high int Marauder (berserker/streetfighter), as it disables engagement and prevents Marauder from being flanked. On other hand it makes it extremely easy to trigger Deathblows passive from Rogue.

So I wonder if Blood Frenzy might be more useful for a Marauder. -5 Might is a fairly minor debuff to enemies and yeah, you kinda want to be engaged...

I was greatly looking forward to this skill, but now less so.

So far I've been relying on gimmicks to get the Flanked status (Powder Burns, Static Thunder, Chill Fog).

But:

1. Switching to a Blunderbuss mid-fight is a loss of DPS in reload time

2. I may not always want to use a two-hander, particularly for Full Attack skill spam, plus I think I will need to get rid of the Confusion eventually - as I'm currently dealing way too much damage to my own party

3. With high Fort Chill Fog is not very reliable plus I don't really want the Blind debuff, so I'd need equipment to resist/downgrade the effect.

There is the beginning hat which does just that... but then there are other nice headgears as well (like Death Runes for 15% damage reduction... and I need as much damage reduction as I can get).

So It would be good to have the enemies actually flank my character sometimes.

Edited by Haplok

Ah the good old times of dual wielding godshanthyur and edge of reason... Permastun/ permaprone all around

I was extremely disappointed when I learned about this. No weapon procs is just tells me that rather then thinking about how it can be balanced, obs just rather remove the proc propagation and not deal with the situation in the first place...

I mean I dont deny that it can potentially be OP. But I'm just bumped that the a layer of interaction or mechanics was entirely removed. In place of that is just controlling the performance of Carnage procs using pre-determined rules and skills.

I guess there has to be reason to use WotEP huh?

Still WotEP and Wahai Poraga have new, nice behaviors, which allow for skill propagating in an area. And some skill effects are obviously more potent then most on-hit effects. The aoe areas are unfortunately much smaller then what was possible with Carnage in PoE1 though.

Carnage seem to not be a fixed 33% but to scale with PL. There was another thread discussing carnage in which I pointed out that as per my tests a Lvl1 and a LvL20 character with identical dmg modifiers and weapons dealt noticeably different amounts of carnage dmg.