Everything posted by Hurlshort
-
Today - what you've done
I am listing our RV for sale. We have travelled the country in it for the last 12 years as a family. It is a bit emotional.
-
What Are You Playing Now: The Other Thread
Stardew Valley - I needed something calming.
-
Merry Xmas and Happy NY
Is this Eldar/Cant? It's been years, if it is. 🤔
-
Politics and world news
Y U lie? Roofles Beimg critical of our foreign affairs has nothing to do with love of country. Recognizing the hypocrisy of calling a Iranian General evil for killing Americans when the US kills people all over the world is not unpatriotic.
-
2019 In Games (and Screenshots): a (random) end of year review
RDR2 was close to the top for me last year, when I played it on the PS4. It's fantastic.
-
Politics and world news
Well, everyone seems pretty content calling the US the good guys and Iran the bad guys, even though the US is the one in a foreign country after forcibly removing their government. So people believe nonsense all the time.
-
Politics and world news
This made a lot of sense to me:
-
FUNNY STUFF THREAD
Vegan hunting pics:
-
TV and Streaming: The Thread
Dracula on Netlfix is off to a great start. Very solid BBC produced series and pretty fun to watch.
-
Politics and world news
I'm on board.
-
What Are You Playing Now: The Other Thread
I've found that Origin runs better than Steam and Epic. But I probably only launch a few times a year, so take that for what it is worth. But still, pretty unobtrusive comparatively.
-
What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?
Hah, called it months ago!
-
What you did Today: The Story of you
I'd say that is going to depend quite a bit on the job you are offering. Why is a Yale graduate going for a job that a lesser degree will qualify for? (Although I don't know much about Boca, it seems to be a University with fairly high standards.) I always question the people who come in to public education with ivy league degrees. I find they are either putting in their quick 3 years so they can move onto administration, or they are just not really sure what they want to do. Contrast that to a few of the ladies I have worked with who worked their way through state schools while raising young kids, and there is really no question who I'd rather hire. One is using the job as a stepping stone to something else, and one is committed to a career in the classroom. Og course, the former needs to justify the expense of that Yale university education.
-
What you did Today: The Story of you
As I say tirelessly, education is much more about skill development than content. You've shown an employer you are capable of showing up and completing work when you show them a degree. You've learned to follow through on a long-term goal.
-
TV and Streaming: The Thread
I gave up on Lost in Space because I didn't understand how a space travelling family could make so many stupid choices. They also seemed super dysfunctional. I watched 1 episode and that was my verdict.
-
What you did Today: The Story of you
I have been working pretty hard the last two years on training, but today I ate a cookie and I ruined all of my conditioning in a few bites. 🍪
-
Politics and world news
Yeah, but Dutch doesn't really connect to Netherlands in any phonemic sense. I mean, we could call you Nethers, but that sounds a bit below the belt. edit: Found this interesting while researching this terrible joke I was making: https://www.dictionary.com/e/demonym/
-
Deadfire is a better Obsidian RPG than Outer Worlds
They aren't in competition, so just enjoy them both. 👍
-
What Are You Playing Now: The Other Thread
I'm thinking about getting into Gears of War. I mean, I remember the original was good fun, but I was never really an Xbox guy, so I avoided the franchise. But now I've got access to a few on the PC, and they are releasing an Xcom style version pretty soon, so maybe I'll try to bone up on the universe a bit. I grabbed a novel by Karen Traviss as well, and so far it's a pretty fun read.
-
Politics and world news
Gromnunism is the future.
-
Is it worth buying an Xbox One S at this stage?
Seems like a pretty good deal. Although exercise is a better option for managing your tension.
-
The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)
Alright, I think that makes it 4 for 4 on happy viewers. This might be the closest thing we've ever had had to a consensus on the forum! Dolemite is the name and all you forum lurkers know the the game!
-
TV and Streaming: The Thread
I watched a couple episodes of The Mandalorian with my daughter and it seems like good fun. I also watched The World According to Jeff Goldblum and it is as strange as I expected. I mean, it's a bit off in parts, but I'm still enjoying his kookiness.
-
Merry Xmas and Happy NY
It was a pretty sweet Christmas. The kids were up at 2:45 AM, which is fine with me, since I have never been able to sleep of Christmas Eve. This was the first year that my daughter was completely in the know about the Santa situation, but it was still pretty exciting and I think we did a good job of surprising her. Happy holidays everyone.
-
Politics and world news
I'd say spiritual needs are definitely a thing. Asking 'why we are here' is a big part of what separates us from all the other lifeforms kicking around on this planet. The 'what' is a lot more complicated.