Everything posted by Hurlshort
-
Baldur's Gate 3 - the 2nd thread
I certainly didn't mean to misconstrue what you were saying, my apologies. I was just using your analogy to point out that a product can still be a quality one even if it isn't as good as another. Particularly when we are talking about entertainment media, which is going to have a lot of variance in terms of audience, demographics, genre, etc. D:OS2 is a game with graphics, sound, and gameplay. It has a story, characters, and it runs well. It doesn't crash. It found an audience and clearly they enjoyed their time with the game. Most other criteria for rating the game are going to be opinion-based. It's the same thing with the Star Wars prequels. Are they as good as the originals? I'd certainly say no. But are they quality movies on their own? Maybe not the 2nd one, that is hard to watch. But that is probably getting more into opinions. I grew up with the originals. My kids grew up with the prequels. They don't really distinguish between the two like I do. That doesn't make them lesser people, that just means they are part of a different audience. The movies themselves are perfectly watchable. They have lots of nice things to look at, and actors acting, and music, and the story has a start and a finish. It is totally understandable that if you don't like DOS2, you probably won't like BG3. That doesn't mean it isn't a quality product, it just means it isn't your type of game.
-
Baldur's Gate 3 - the 2nd thread
I get where you are going with this, but I think it breaks down when you try and judge quality on any grounds other than basic functionality. Both VHS and Betamax were quality products. One may be better than the other, but VHS didn't become the dominant product because it was a poor product. D:OS2 is a quality product. It checks all the necessary boxes in order to be deemed as such. It may not be as good as another quality product, but it clearly found an audience and generated sales for a reason. It is extremely rare for a poor product to find an audience and sell well.
-
Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)
It's just the worst. I'm sure it's fine, but it gets all the attention in the Bay Area and Silicon Valley. I graduated from a nearby state school. Some would probably call it envy, but we did beat them in football 3 out of the 4 years I was there. Plus my cousin went there and he is insufferable.
- Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)
- Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)
-
Today - what you've done
Skin, mostly. I will try the benadryl, thanks.
- Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)
-
Today - what you've done
Speaking of dogs, mine has been hit with seasonal allergies and bit himself up good last night. So this morning I gave him a nice early bath in the cold, which neither of us enjoyed. Time to order more allergy supplements.
-
Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)
The last fact about Phillipe seems unnecessary though. I mean, it plays into this whole idea that there is some sort of competition between the two. Honestly I can't really say I know many people with degrees that think people without degrees are stupid. I'd actually say it's more likely that a person with a degree will look down on a person with a degree from a rival school than they are to look down on people who have a tradeskill education. For example, I look down on Stanford grads.
-
The Best Musical or Comedy Drama Action Film thread (THIS IS THE GENERAL MOVIE STUFF THREAD)
Spenser Confidential was everything I was looking for. Bummed it wasn't a series, but it was great as a movie.
-
Military Thread: Humanity Hanging from a Cross of Iron
I was a bit of an expert in the Focke-Wulf, back during my Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe days. Memories...
- Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)
- Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)
- Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)
-
The Kickstarter Thread
I decided to back Cyber Knights in the final hours: I've played the heck out of their previous title, Star Traders, so this looks like a pretty safe bet. Not sure why I waited so long, but they are comfortably over their target.
-
FUNNY STUFF THREAD
- We need a Star Trek RPG
I can't believe Hoonding has been posting for over a decade.- Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)
Why call it insurance at all, then? I mean, that is kind of the way it already works. You do pay for visits to the doctor under most insurance plans with a co-pay. You typically have a max deductible of 10k to meet, after which the insurance is supposed to cover the rest. The issue is the insurance companies make their money by declining coverage. Maybe you do have cancer, but that test that you want to take to find out might not be covered. No insurance company says "Come this way and we'll take care of you." You pay them for coverage, then you have to work with a doctor that is hopefully in their network to convince them to cover you. It's a dumb system. I agree ACA was a dumb solution. It just got the government into the insurance business. edit: As the head of a fairly healthy family of 4, I'm on the phone with my medical insurance company regularly. It is always a miserable time on the phone. I'm sure they bank on that fact. I'm curious what types of experiences you guys have had when dealing with your medical insurance companies.- Baldur's Gate 3 - the 2nd thread
I don't believe Rage is anywhere near the success level on Fallout 3 & 4. They used the name and the universe to get their foot in the door. Yeah, it was a different camera, combat system, etc. But you were still a vault dweller stepping out into a wasteland.- Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)
- Baldur's Gate 3 - the 2nd thread
That ship kind of sailed when Bethesda took Fallout 3 and made it into a massive hit.- Baldur's Gate 3 - the 2nd thread
BG2 was great, but it wasn't the combat that made it enjoyable for me. Same with PoE and I've loved actually knowing what is going on with the TB version of Deadfire. I mean, I guess it is just a matter of preference, but I tend to have a lot more engagement and involvement in the systems when a game is turn-based. JA2. Come at me, bro.- RandOm vIDeo gAme newS
Sweet, I really need a new map to explore. I'm on my 3rd character and it isn't quite as thrilling when you know where everything is.- Weird - Random - Interesting
Pretty sure the vast majority of this is just confirmation bias for people already voting one way. It's hard to imagine there are sizable numbers of people on the fence that are swayed by some of the crazy stories you see on the internet.- The TV and Streaming thread renewed
Nothing Pete Davidson has done on SNL has made me think he would be worth watching as a stand-up. He works best as a foil to other comedians. - We need a Star Trek RPG