Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Obsidian Forum Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

alanschu

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by alanschu

  1. It did improve a ton on the Wolfenstein formula. Wolfenstein 3D was a game where pretty much everything was broken down into squares. Corners were always 90 degrees. Doom allowed for variable size walls (linedefs in the old DEU), rooftops, etc. It added the third dimension, actually incorporating differing heights into the engine. The level design was lightyears ahead of Wolfenstein 3D. Not to mention the graphics alone were way better. Environmental Damage A Variety of weapon effects (Wolf3D didn't actually have this.....the submachine gun was just a faster firing pistol, and the chaingun just fired two bullets at once, to simulate its higher rate of fire). This includes different ammunition types. Multiplayer. It supported IPX and serial connections so that people could deathmatch. We can all thank Doom for engraining the term "frag" for when we kill people in a deathmatch game. (Don't confuse this with online play, which was first supported in Quake). Lightmaps. The game actually featured variable lighting. A dynamic environment....it was possible for triggers to actually change the environment. Just looking at the two, I wouldn't be too surprised which one actually turned people's heads.
  2. It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak! EDIT: THe best I ever did was 200. Darque was there for that, and even cheered me on
  3. Hahaha, 32 MB TNT for the win! I don't remember what video card I had at the time. I either had the Rage Fury or the original Radeon...I'm 99% sure the latter. I also had an Athlon 1 GHz T-Bird, which really helped. I'm pretty sure I had the Radeon, because I could play the game really nice, but I didn't have the pixel shader support....later I got a card that had it and the water was truly unbelievable.
  4. OMG, you just quoted CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN I sucked so bad at that game, given I was like 8. I'd always waste all of my passcards on the first guard I saw and get caught.
  5. That's because you're confusing Wolf3D with Doom. The reason why Doom became so big, was that it was the biggest thing at the time. Wolf3D was still a niche game. Wolfenstein 3D had nothing but 90 degree walls, and no semblance of a Z-Axis. The game was entirely on a flat plane, so there was never even a need to look up. The entire gameworld was flat. Though Doom did suffer from the inability to look up that you describe, given that it was id's first game to incorporate elevation.
  6. Nobody steals our chicks, and lives
  7. THere's one I never really understood...he said it too fast. SOmething like: Your face is your ass....what's the difference?
  8. I did raise an eyebrow at the 500 MHz minimum requirement for Morrowind. The minimum requirements seem just so much higher now (relatively speaking). I think they were a bit more conservative. Morrowind officially supported slow-ass cards from years before.
  9. Hehehe, wasted
  10. I am the gatekeeper.
  11. I've seen worse. I hated Pearl Harbour much more than I hated Waterworld.
  12. But in a good way.
  13. Doom wasn't the game that invented online-shooting, Quake was. Doom didn't even support internet play.
  14. Hail to the King baby!
  15. Recommended only = minimum if you are not very flexible with your performance settings IMO.
  16. Though there's no indication in that particular quote that she was the first. Though, unless Revan truly did have an absolutely insane number of masters, wouldn't the Disciple err and say that Dorak was after Kae, as he does mention him in reverse chronological order at a different point? EDIT: Wookiee...I was thinking the same thing. It's an ambiguous 'she,' but if he does not remember the trainer, then the she would likely mean Kae. That's how I read it.
  17. What user name were you trying?
  18. Well, if it's less of an idiot than most idiots, that's a good thing right?
  19. I never played the original Akalabeth. Was it first person in the same sense as the Ultima games (which were more and FPS like Eye of the Beholder style).
  20. Well, if we wanted it closed, just report it. Fio is pretty quick at closing with just a report. But where's the fun in that!?!
  21. If you go into a movie not expecting much, it's not hard to find something worthwhile in it. Very rarely do I watch a movie and feel left out, because most movies always land right around my expectations. He had a cool boat, and the action sequences were fun and entertaining IMO. I felt it was much more a comedy than anything else. Cheesy one-liners and all.
  22. Yeah, I was going to toss out some of the old Ultimas as well, though those weren't purely FPS games. At least not in the same style as Wolf3D.
  23. Not to mention a shift to Chaos.
  24. BRAINS!!!!
  25. It comes out 1 day before my birthday...interesting.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.