Everything posted by alanschu
-
"Five freeware strategy games too good to miss"
Awww, too bad the destructable environment is "weak" in UFO. I loved going full auto with the autocannon in the original XCOM.
-
NHL
Hemsky is taking responsibility for the Czech-Mates line not playing well it seems. He had an article in The Sun today, and it was pretty interesting. Says he's not content with hearing that he's going to be a star in the league, but that he wants people to say that he is a star in this league. And not just by scoring points. 120 points but missing the playoffs is worthless to him. He'd much rather get 60 points and help his team make the playoffs.
-
Throwing out a question concerning AI
Morale is very important in the Total War games. YOu have to keep your flanks covered, and try to get the enemy in theirs. Nothing ruins your day more than a full on Cavalry charge to the back of your unit engaged in combat. And unfortunately, fear is contagious. I've sworn at my computer on more than one occasion for the weakling serfs panicing and spreading general disorder throughout my ranks.
-
"Five freeware strategy games too good to miss"
That actually made me laugh out loud. That picture you showed looks nice. Me likey strategy games.
-
Do you like WW2 grand strategy naval wargames?
AAR = After Action Report. As long as people find it interesting I'll keep it up. I've slowed down a bit on the updates, but I'll have a bit more time to play in the next couple of days.
-
Do you like WW2 grand strategy naval wargames?
Just curious, are people still reading (and more importantly enjoying) the AAR?
-
"Five freeware strategy games too good to miss"
It is hard being alanschu. Fortunately I have years of experience. I may or may not (but probably will) investigate these at one time or another.
-
Alien Shooter 2 demo
That's pretty much exactly the same way I felt about Shadowgrounds. I really enjoyed the demo, and I considered buying it. Then I realized that I had enjoyed the demo for what it was, and didn't really feel a huge desire to play much further. I'll have to give this AS2 demo a whirl then.
-
Canada compensates man U.S. deported to Syria
Remember what happened last time a few states tried to seceed? The US is like a mafia family. As Tony Soprano would say "once you come into the family, there is no gettin' out". <{POST_SNAPBACK}> cept that california is currently the worlds fourth largest economy on its own. And all the eastern states would no longer have easy access to far east companies. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Yes they would. It'd be a bit more costly, but both the Suez Canal and the Panama Canal were created for a reason.
-
Alien Shooter 2 demo
Hey, sometimes it's not who did it better, but rather who did it first. I strongly suggest dropping the Alien game, since it's like, doomed and all that now.
-
BREAKING NEWS! First Duke Nukem Forever screenshot
PC Gamer said so.
-
Throwing out a question concerning AI
I'm not sure what you mean here when you use the word robust. I can't make sense of this. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> I think you understand the context in which it is being offered. In other words, yes, the AI is trying to win using strategies that are comparable to your own but is also playing based on a "personality" that does not also go for the bottom-line mathematical advantage. If it is not playing "robust", then I simply mean it is going through the motions but not really trying to win (i.e. the easy mode). <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Actually I didn't. I thought you were talking about how it would never play a "robust game with dairy farms" as in, it never use a robust dairy farm strategy.
-
Throwing out a question concerning AI
I will use a silencer. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Not really sure how you silence and explosion.
-
If 100 people needs to die to save 100000 people..
Why specifically those values? Why 5%, and 15%?
-
Canada compensates man U.S. deported to Syria
Only if you exclude that evil right-wing corporations, that likely vote conservative since it's the most business friendly, often pony up the billions of dollars to do this research.
-
Canada compensates man U.S. deported to Syria
I did look it up. 36% of the vote went to Conservatives, 30% went to Liberals. You can accuse CBC of being Liberal lapdogs all you want, but they weren't reporting inaccurate results from the election. Who cares if they didn't win a seat in Alberta. People still voted for them. And no, it wasn't just eastern transplants. As for the rest of Canada saying "no," check this out. Number of Liberal Seats in Newfoundland: 4 Number of Liberal Seats in PEI: 4 Number of Liberal Seats in Nova Scotia: 6 Number of Liberal Seats in New Brunswick: 6 Number of Liberal Seats in Manitoba: 1 Number of Liberal Seats in Saskatchewan: 2 Yukon and Nunavit also have Liberal representation. The fact that they have zero seats is a fault of the First Past the Post Representative Democracy. It doesn't mean that there's zero support for the Liberal Party in Alberta. The Conservatives had SIX percent more votes. Sorry, but the Conservatives weren't even "clearly" the the choice of the majority of Canadians. Do you even know what the word "Majority" means? It means 50%+1. The Conservatives had 36% of the popular vote. The Liberals were just behind them with 30%. I'd like to see some proof that the constituencies laid out across Canada are not created based on population please. I have studied politics. It's clear you don't understand it, based on your incorrect assessment of communism. Get me a link. Are you referring to Ipsos-Reid? Find me an article. Until then, you're just making stuff up in an attempt to prove your point. From 1957 to 1964, Alberta received Equalization Payments. You accuse me of ignorance? Every province contributes money via taxes and whatnot, that go into the Equalization fund. There's no such thing as "paying" the Equalization Fund, because the Government spreads out tax revenues that we'll all pay regardless. If a province receives ZERO money back, then by default they have paid. In fact, even if a province gets some money back, it doesn't mean they received a net gain. If $2 billion of a provinces tax dollars end up going into the Equalization pool, and that province receives back $1 billion, they technically have still "paid" into the Equalization pool. Furthermore, Ontario still typically pays more real dollars (simply because they have an insanely tax base compared to Canada). Alberta pays more per capita. Because Alberta is lucky and lives on Oil. Where'd you get these numbers by the way? Your ass doesn't count. If you want educated people, then that is a knock against Alberta. Because much of Alberta's wealth is because people opt to get into the Energy industry and skip out on little things like school. Besides, employment rate and education rate don't really have a strong correlation. QUOTE: again I get my numbers from stats canada, I figure ill just goto the SOURCE rather then some 3rd party partisan hack job site. Then where did you find it? Post a link with your numbers. If you're going to be stupid and pick and choose what sources you want (including ignoring Finance Canada), you better damn well start citing your information. You can't just ignore something because you disagree with it. Accuse places like the CBC for being Liberal Lapdogs you want, but they aren't going to post INCORRECT ELECTION RESULTS you obtuse twit. If the numbers presented by CBCs election results page are wrong, show us the right ones. At least it will serve to validate your claim that CBC is a bunch of evil, misleading fearmongers. QUOTE: Its exactly a issue of electorial seats. Give albertians a fair and proper number of seats so their vote impacts the direction of Canada and they would stop complaining, plain and simple. They DO! It's based on POPULATION you twit. You claim to studied politics, but have demonstrated zero comprehension of a Parliamentary Democracy. How many seats should they get then? Alberta has 10% of the population, and receives 9% of the seats. Not quite perfect, but pretty close. Ontario has 39% of the population, and has 34% of the seats in the House of Commons. Now my population numbers are based on 2005 population numbers, but the 2006 election was early 2006, so I doubt there's HUGE changes in any of the population numbers. Quebec has 24% of the population, and has 25% of the seats in the House of Commons. I'm not really seeing this huge injustice. Would you like me to go through all of the provinces? Here's the population information I had. It's even from a source you like!!! http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/demo02.htm QUOTE: And the power arguement is funny, so dont give votes based on power, how about just REALISTICALLY updating the population numbers and asigning seats based on that. That alone would strip the unbalanced power from the East. Prove that they're horribly inaccurate. Constituency borders were redrawn at least as early as 1996. Given that the number of elected representatives went from 301 to 308 in the most recent election, there HAS to have been restructuring of the set up of constituencies.
-
Canada compensates man U.S. deported to Syria
I wasn't voting against what I believe in. The Conservatives are more in line with what I prefer fiscally. I'm a right-wing economist. The Liberal Party was shown to be misappropriating tax dollars for their own use. Furthermore, they were in power for 13 years, it was time for a change. I also do not feel that the New Democratic Party have a plan that is economically sustainable, and would be devastating to the country. Social issues like Gay Marriage and so on are much, much easier to influence than economic policy when dealing with your member of Parliament. It was interesting, because I had a chance to meet Laurie Hawn (my MP) and talk with him about things that I value from a social aspect.
-
PC cable organization
Your PSU is going to create a current through your case regardless, so I doubt it makes much of an impact with dust.
-
Throwing out a question concerning AI
Would that actually make sense? I'd think firing off an explosive projectile should set off some red flags.
-
Canada compensates man U.S. deported to Syria
That's not true. You don't know why everyone voted they way that they did. Canadians may have voted for a "socially left of center party," but that doesn't mean that they voted for that party because they were socially left of center. I am socially left of center as well, but I voted Conservative. You can't make your conclusion without knowing why people voted the way that they did. The NDP also do well in the Maritimes.
-
Throwing out a question concerning AI
Deus Ex wanted the option for being sneaky, but still wanted the option of not being sneaky to be perfectly viable.
-
Canada compensates man U.S. deported to Syria
Guard Dog, the bulk of the votes typically go between the two major Political Parties, the Conservatives, and the Liberals.
-
Canada compensates man U.S. deported to Syria
Why? Welcome to politics I guess. The issue I had way back in the day is that you seemed to target specifically the Conservative Party for this (in addition to comments such as how surprised you were that things didn't go down the crapper shortly after the Conservatives made it to power). Who's to say you won't get something for it? Is it better to spend more on social spending when the economy is strong (and therefore needs the government assistance less?) and spend less when the economy is weak (and therefore demand for the social services increases)? Economies can shift, and if something happens that results in a downward economic trend, then spending can remain static (and not get cut further), or even increase (depending on how much you follow Keynes' economic theory) with less real penalty incurred on the government coffers.
-
Throwing out a question concerning AI
The only thing I can think of is that design feels that it becomes too unforgiving. Either that or there is some other issue that I'm not familiar with that makes keeping them in the alerted state problematic.
-
Fallout 3 on the Xbox 360???
Apology Accepted, Captain Needa.