Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help Designing a Melee Cipher Build

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Well, after a somewhat bumpy start my melee Cipher is going strong. He hasn't been knocked unconscious in quite a while now, does good damage, and his powers are very... powerful. I'm only part way through Act II, so he's yet to fight anything tough like Dragons but once I'm done I'll post up a build (unless Elric wants to post his, I think they're probably pretty similar and we don't really need two melee cipher builds in the archive).

I intend to, for the first time, unscale everything, so I'm waiting till level 9 before going to the White March. It will be interesting to see how this goes.

IamNOOB

IamNOOB

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 32 posts

Today I just started to use the Grieving mother as a melee cipher but more focused on disabling, I got a barbarian main character and a paladin in the front line. Durance and Aloth stay back and cast spells. I rotate the last hero - sometimes it is the rauatai chanter , sometimes it is the Hunter [to unlock doors] or sometimes it is Eder... Seems to me it is OK to have a melee cipher and it niceto have a shield. Sometimes I switch to a blunderbus, then go sword+shield again. By far the cipher seems to be the most interesting class, overpowered even. No wonder people dont want to create a simple warrior as a main character. Ciphers seems to adored :)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4310 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

They are good at dealing damage with a weapon and at casting spells. This makes them attractive I guess. For me, the best part of the cipher are his mind control spells. Those can trivialize even the hardest encounters if you have somebody who can raise your ACC high enough (priest and/or paladin).

A fighter can also be good - if you play him as a disruptor who quickly kills casters behind the enemy lines he can be very effective and also a lot of fun. He can both be hard to kill and deal a lot of single target damage and CC.

Edited by Boeroer, 14 January 2017 - 08:48 AM.

QuiteGoneJin

QuiteGoneJin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 129 posts

So what did you end up keeping as your starting build, how far did you get and what were the results?

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

At the moment I've gone with 18/8/10/16/18/8 for my base attributes, Boreal Dwarf for my race. I'm only level 7, still in Defiance Bay, as I haven't had all that much time to play (I find I need a good couple of hours to really do anything in PoE). I took Biting Whip, Weapon Focus, Draining Whip in that order (felt I needed the accuracy early on). Powers wise I went

1: Mind Wave, Anitpathetic Field, Whispers of Treason.

2: Mental Binding, Pyschovampiric Shield, <wild card>.

3: Ectopyschic Echo, Pain Link, <wild card>.

4: Body Attunement, Silent Scream.

Wild cards just mean that I've experimented with a few powers in this slot.

After starting a little weak, this character quickly became pretty powerful. His single target CC is amazing, making fights against a small number of tough foes much easier. Also, with a small shield he rarely gets targetted in melee so long as I let him engage after the main tanks. Obviously no idea how he'll far against the toughest fights in the game yet, but it's pretty clear that he's viable. That said, I tend to think that a ranged Cipher would still be better in a lot of cases (can make stats more extreme, can more reliably do damage in tight confines, some spell targeting is easier as ranged etc.). I suspect once Mind Web appears though this changes since you then become as tanky as your main tank.

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1085 posts

... (unless Elric wants to post his, I think they're probably pretty similar and we don't really need two melee cipher builds in the archive).

I don't think I'll post my build. I'll post my main character, who is a fighter, maybe my ranged Pal.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 629 posts

At the moment I've gone with 18/8/10/16/18/8 for my base attributes, Boreal Dwarf for my race.

That's close to what I've played with. 17/7/15/16/16/7. I've chosen Pale Elf that time through. I wanted to get a bit extra survivability against fire AoEs and to be less of a target for Ice Blights and Shades with paralyzing Draining Freeze. As for lower perception, it's due to having other team members that would lower enemy defenses for me. (e.g. a priest would weaken everyone; a ranged cipher would paralyze my melee cipher's target; while melee cipher would charm an enemy behind his target, a hammer an anvil tactic of some sort, especially vs ogres) 

Obviously no idea how he'll far against the toughest fights in the game yet, but it's pretty clear that he's viable.

Usually you will build focus hitting paralyzed targets and criting a lot. Whisper of Treason the enemy hard-hitters and Amplify-Waving everyone if the fight is not near it's ending phase. Once all enemies are low.. boom detonate/lance spam depending on positioning, or just Silent Scream.

That said, I tend to think that a ranged Cipher would still be better in a lot of cases (can make stats more extreme, can more reliably do damage in tight confines, some spell targeting is easier as ranged etc.).

Melee cipher can achieve a higher focus gain than a ranged one. But yeah there are a few problems:
- he has to come close to enemy first, and ranged cipher is already one shot ahead
- plate armor makes casting slower; it will be especially noticeable if you cast low-cost powers a lot
Imho, melee cipher starts to shine when you already have a ranged one.

Btw, I was once tracking the party stats (damage; hit/crit, knockdowns). And melee cipher (2nd playthrough) had the potential to be on par with barbarian in terms of total damage :)

Edited by MaxQuest, 18 January 2017 - 06:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users