Update #88: Final Sprint and... Release Date!

Update by Brandon Adler, Lead Producer

Hello, everyone. As most of you know, the Eternity team has been hard at work squashing bugs and polishing the game for release. Every day the build is getting better and we are inching closer to when we can share the full game with you. We have some important information for you, such as the...

... Release Date!

If you have been waiting for word on a release date, the Pillars of Eternity team has some exciting news for you. The final game will be released on March 26th, 2015! At that time you will be able to purchase it "for reals" on Steam, GOG, and other online retailers.

This is also when we will be posting information about how you can redeem your game (and other backer rewards) on our Backer Portal.

If you’d like to make sure your order is correct, you can visit the Orders tab in your Account Profile. Any order there listed as “confirmed” is what we currently have confirmed for you. You can click on orders specifically to get more detail about your completed pledge.

If you’re a backer getting physical goods, we’ll be sending an e-mail around the end of February that will ask you to confirm your shipping address for us. You can verify and edit your address now if you’ve recently moved. We’ll keep you posted on when we’ll need final address edits!

Leads Meeting

Our Executive Producer and Lead Programmer, Adam Brennecke, shot some footage of our leads meeting yesterday. We thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing one of our daily meetings. I can't promise the most riveting 20 minutes, but it will give you a bit of insight into what we do every morning.

pe-leads-meeting-video-580.jpg

Sprint to the Finish

In these last few months the team is laser-focused on a few keys areas:

• Polishing and Bugs. The entire team is busy fixing as many bugs as possible. We are also going through the existing content and polishing it up – check out the brigandine!

pe-brig-compare-580.jpg

• Finalization of... Everything. We are also in the process of finalizing everything from backer reward items to game boxes. It is quite a bit of stuff, but we are making great progress and everything is on track for the release date.
  • Showing Off the Game. In addition to finishing up the game and everything else surrounding it, we are also going to be showing off the game. We will be doing a live stream tomorrow at 1pm PST (21:00 GMT), on Paradox's Twitch page. Also look for us at PAX South later this month and PAX East in March (PAX East isn't confirmed yet) where some of the Pillars team will be giving a preview of the game and answering panel questions. It may even be live streamed!

That's it for now, be on the lookout for our next update where we go over backer rewards (including redemption on our Backer Portal).

• Like 38

Hell yes.

If you ever do another Kickstarter, have "We'll make a 10-minute "The Office"" parody" as a stretch goal ;).

Edited by Rostere
  • Like 7

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Ack, one month off! Still, I should get something, I pinned it right at the 26th!

Still, awesome to get some news. I wasn't expecting this at all. For days now I've jumped a little bit at updates in the Announcement section just to see that it was another meaningless post. Going in today, this took me by complete surprise.

March 26th.

Loading up on the crisps, the soda and the caffeine.

t50aJUd.jpg

I hope hard isn't as unbalanced in the final release as it currently is in 392.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hehe talking about Knock Down. Little did they know they would have a fresh 5 bugs reported for it a day later wink.png

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that it's called "Knock Down" and not "Knockdown"?

I don't care which is grammatically correct, there's something that just feels wrong to me.

But they still call Godlikes.. "Godlikes", so I guess.. yeah.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I just realized I did nto check when ordering - does the physical edition come with a digital download as well? Or is it purely physical (with patches available separately from official site)?

It depends on a few different factors, but mostly it has to do with what tier your have. The higher cost tiers did come with digital copies. The basic boxed copy off of the Backer Portal does not come with a digital version.

• Like 1

Since I am sure some of you are wondering, we will be trying to get physical copies in people's hands as close to the release date as possible. It is somewhat inexact because shipping times can vary around the world, but it should be pretty close. We will let everyone know once the physical goods have started shipping out.

• Like 3

Release date!

49er's!

What is that...thing? Oh, a pipboy!

*hubby calling me*

Shh! I'm busy!

*goes back to watching video*

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well after the huge delay with Wasteland 2's physical boxes, I think many backers will be happy if they don't take as long as that :p

We are going to try to hit the release date exactly (or as closely as possible). Boxes are in production as we speak.

• Like 9

Would be really nice if you could consider a preload on Steam, two or three days before the release date. :)

I don't think we would have any objections, but I will need to do a bit more research on it. I assume it is just a setting that we can set on our Steamworks page, but I will have to look into it.

• Like 3

Also IIRC Steam does not support FLAC downloads or something. At least when I got my Wasteland 2 Steam copy I only got MP3s, they had to set up a bandcamp link for people who had steam but wanted FLAC.

They may have just set it up incorrectly though, you could probably add it as free DLC or something due to the file size.

Will you be able to launch the game from the .exe without steam?

Edited by Sensuki

I just realized I did nto check when ordering - does the physical edition come with a digital download as well? Or is it purely physical (with patches available separately from official site)?

It depends on a few different factors, but mostly it has to do with what tier your have. The higher cost tiers did come with digital copies. The basic boxed copy off of the Backer Portal does not come with a digital version.

Thank you. If I decide to buy an Extra Ditial Download Add-On, do I get a choice of the service I will get it on or does it default to Steam? Or will Obsidian provide the download through their own site? (The same question would go for the DD of the expansion I ordered along with the physical copy)