SW: The Old Republic Part 2

Hurlshort

So speaking of companions, does anyonw know what affection really does, apart from give you additional quests?

I personally don't find it hard focusing one getting the affection of a single companion to rise through dialogue though. I know what makes Kaliyo tick, and she is the only useful companion I have atm anyway. It could possibly change when I get another tank, but that's a bit into the future.

So speaking of companions, does anyonw know what affection really does, apart from give you additional quests?

Only thing I have noticed is that the they complete crew skill stuff quicker the more they have affection. Although it doesn't help much if someone does things 30sec faster if the quest/crafting takes an hour, it better get faster when the affection meter starts to get full.

you cannot possibly think that getting the companions to max affection was a post 50 consideration... or maybe you can. there is XP rewards that come with the character interactions, and at level 50 you has the brakes put on xp gains... unless you is suggesting that the companions is a 6 month + expansion consideration, 'cause once you finish and/or hit storyline conclusion, you is gonna run out of dialogue opportunities with the companions. apparently you gotta stop thinking like a mmorpg player... at least insofar as companions is concerned. you is still gonna need gifts, 'cause companion dialogue boosts is more akin to sp. there is an end of the line for the current companion dialog ops. your pov doesnt seem likely to us.

*shrug*

not matter. is your game, so you can play how you want.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm not entirely sure how the end game will work, but in most other MMO's you still continue to quest and take part in dialogue after you hit the level cap. The main story arc might be completed, but all those bonus quest series, repeatable heroics, and flashpoints are still there. You no longer get xp, but you get other rewards, and gaining companion points would seem to be one. As I said, it isn't a big hook, but it's another reason to keep playing. Again I have no idea if that is Bioware's intention, but it seems like a logical thing, particularly given how quickly the level cap seems to be coming up. This is one of the faster leveling curves I have seen in a new MMO.

I'm also not saying you don't need or want companion gifts to help raise their affection, I've been running investigation missions and giving those gifts to my companions when they are applicable. I just don't think you need to spam the gifts, as you put it. I can't imagine spending money at the AH to buy gifts either, but maybe I'll change my mind when I try and level my third companion (I don't count the cleaning droid.)

It's definitely true that you can play it the way you want though. If you want to make a big push to get their affection up with gifts, then that is available. I imagine if you are playing in a group all the time that would be pretty important.

From what I gather, the end game consists of doing daily missions on Ilum, Flashpoints (all Flashpoints have a hard mode that is unlocked at lvl 50) and a couple of raid instances. And the world bosses of course.

And to affection again, if all affection gives you is a time discount on crew missions, a discount that at 4500 affection isn't that impressive, then it's not a big deal for me. Having access to more companions is much more important to crafting anyway.

From what I gather, the end game consists of doing daily missions on Ilum, Flashpoints (all Flashpoints have a hard mode that is unlocked at lvl 50) and a couple of raid instances. And the world bosses of course.

exactly.... and what hurl still not seem to get is that there is no dialog bonus options for companions available from that stuff. you get companions to max before end, or you do gifting. is not complicated.

the bonus for crafting/gathering missions can be significant by 10k affection... particularly given how long it takes to create prototype or better gear via crafting... and of course, there is a conclusion to each companion storyline... if you is interested in such things. 'course the most salient and immediate advantage is the exp gains-- if you got the creds, you can buy your way through a level or two via companion "missions." and again, those exp gains benefit you nothing post 50.

*shrug*

every ~2k is the major kinda threshold for affection. we know this 'cause we had a bug and it were suggested by developers that we push from 5 to +6k to workaround the problem. last major threshold actual seemed to come at 'bout 9.5K. the Final dialog gets you a potential big boost to affection... gets you to 10k and ends story.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

exactly.... and what hurl still not seem to get is that there is no dialog bonus options for companions available from that stuff. you get companions to max before end, or you do gifting. is not complicated.

Oh, that's what I wasn't sure on. It seems odd that they wouldn't give any companion bonuses from the daily's and flashpoints, but if that's what you've heard, I guess you do rely more heavily on gifts at 50.

Oh, that's what I wasn't sure on. It seems odd that they wouldn't give any companion bonuses from the daily's and flashpoints, but if that's what you've heard, I guess you do rely more heavily on gifts at 50.

is not the least bit odd when you consider that the flashpoints is designed to be done by groups of players... and the hard-mode 50s is brutal. went through black talon hard-mode with some serious pvp-geared folks. we got wiped a couple times. hard-mode is no joke, and companions is likely gonna die fast.

and again, one o' the big payoffs from comp quests is the significant xp payoff... which is wasted on 50s. clearly not designed as a post-50 lure.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just solo'd my way through the Foundry.. was interesting that I actually picked up a bunch of affection points from my companion during it which did surprise me.

Also, the fight with

HK-47 was actually harder then the one with Revan.. maybe it was just the other Exterminator bots that turn up, or the various other things going on.. While Revan is just a rather tough opponent you have to wear down...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just solo'd my way through the Foundry.. was interesting that I actually picked up a bunch of affection points from my companion during it which did surprise me.

Also, the fight with

HK-47 was actually harder then the one with Revan.. maybe it was just the other Exterminator bots that turn up, or the various other things going on.. While Revan is just a rather tough opponent you have to wear down...

didn't you say that you were level 47 or +47? admittedly, that is a rough mission for a 37 group, but +10 levels difference gives you near-invulnerability to anything less than elite. regardless, foundry were kinda important for kotor/kotor2 closure. 'course you gotta do bp first, and even uber-leveled, bp is a LONG mission.

as an aside, we would not recommend trying colicoid war solo. is some puzzle stuff that is seeming impossible w/o multiple players. need 3-4 players to disable force-fields in correct order.

HA! Good Fun!

And my "main" guardian still can't friggin progress because the GM's looked at my ticket, forwarded it as a bug, and ignored it. The Least they could have done is give me the quest complete >.<

(for the record, this character has been stuck at having a pair of class quests in her log that won't allow the other to complete for about four days now)

And apparently Customer Service for Bioware sucks all around with EVERYONE getting form letters in return, or not even getting a response.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Made it to Hoth, travelling around there is as dull as Alderaan or Tatooine, not as utterly annoying as Nar Shadaa though. Heh, got a quest to go kill all my companion's exes, unfortunately they're all on different planets (so more fun with the hangar->elevator->shuttle paths in some places)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hm, I have to admit, so far I've got Ashara up to around 8k affection, Khem to about 5.2k, with both Andronikos and Talos at just over 1k.

Most of Ashara's stuff seems to be dialogue , and then she goes off and reports back on whatever she did..and Khem had one short mission on Tattooine.

Apart from that I haven't really encountered any companion missions yet..

On a seperate note, I have to say while the mood of the space missions is fun, I'd really like to see more of a variety in them. So far they're pretty much the same 4 missions, with different fluff, and more difficulty - ie; fighters can take more damage, there are more of them , asteroids are closer together, shields are tougher on opponents, more ships with turrets...

Has anyone else had trouble trying to read the subtitles of droids/aliens who don't speak english? I have missed a lot of dialogue because some of them have said about three lines of text almost with a single bloody "BEEB". KoTOR had it vice versa, they just kept talking and talking till you went nuts. They just couldn't find the middle path it seems..

Also I realize the PC characters have A LOT of dialogue, but the amount of "I will bring the Republic to it's knees" and "Your name, now" and lots of other lines my sith warrior keeps repeating is starting to annoy me.

"Sounds like you need a trooper" is repeated quite a few times, but it's said in such a sleazy way that it makes me laugh every time.

It's (naturally) the same with all classes - my BH keeps repeating some really cheesy wannabe-Arnold lines over and over again. You kind of learn to like the way of conversation...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

"I'll be covered in blood from head to toe" is my IA's wannabe-cool line. Not much sense as I'm a sniper.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Probably because they didn't want to kill their voice actors by having them record a new line for EVERY SINGLE PIECE of dialogue.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So in some of the latest news, they're planning on bringing in the neutral side to have benefits as well..

James Ohlen revealed:

As of yet, I haven't seen any particular "grey" items, only Light and Dark.. so I'm assuming that's more stuff to be added in in the near future...

yeah, and ohlen's plan seems like a fail. if they didnt wanna drive folks to extremes o' the light v dark spectrum, then the aligned level 50 items should not require rank 5 in light or dark. as a matter o' fact, am not certain we has ever seen a non-aligned relic. without spamming lower level flashpoints, is taking some serious work to reach complete light or dark. am knowing that hurl says we gotta look past level 50 and end story, but having to rinse & repeat already completed flashpoints or daily heroics is not our idea o' engaging gameplay... but we ain't as experienced in such mmorpg conventions, so we do not know if such monotony is expected 'mongst the rank and file.

HA! Good Fun!

I agree with you to an extent Gromnir, it's a bit late to offer a grey path. But I will say they should be adding new content every few months. They have a huge team, so I'm guessing we will be getting a new planet, or at least a content expansion somewhere, every 3-4 months.

I'll also say the monotony is surprisingly well expected among the hardcore crowd. Some folks will raid every night, basically repeating stuff every week or two. That's not my idea of fun, I'll put on the breaks for a month or two and come back when a patch peaks my interest. In fact I doubt I'll max out a character anytime soon, I've already pulled back on my 31 trooper and have started creating Empire folks.

Someone is asleep at the wheel. Past post 500.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester