Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Old Trilogy vs. New Trilogy vs. KOTOR

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Chemix

Chemix

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 284 posts
The LOTR would trounce any star wars film, MAUAHHAHAHAHAHAH *looks at oliphants and army of 300,000 orcs and urukai, then looks at imperial walkers and storm troopers, blasters go off and miss horribly, shooting 2 walkers down and one shot burning a small whole in the armor of the mumakil (tower structure on top of oliphants) armored trolls move in and crush the storm troopers, Jedi attack, the rohirim rushes the jedi from the side, smoke rages, a storm trooper manages to actualy hit something, unforunately it was the broad side of minas tirith. Trebuchets launch peices of mina tirath at the walkers, walkers destroyed.*

anyways, I enjoyed the prequels just a little less then the trilogy. But then again I don't realy idolize the trilogy that much, it gets old after a while, the prequels on the other hand loose their enjoyability and rewatch value after the 5th or 7th veiwing of the films. CG is a good thing, a very good thing, without it we wouldn't have yoda jumping around like crazy, no giant clone battle, and no coruscant. I found a rather odd realism in the first film about coruscant that was missing in the second film. However yoda in the second film looked far better then episode 1's version. It all shows an ingenious plot set up by palpatine to become emperor. Anakin's acting did suck in episode 2. And some of the scenes (IE the arm getting chopped off in episode 2 and mauls death in episode 1) were done extremely poorly. And both were in desperate need of common sense (we've got a ship here full of rockets and lasers, so lets try and shoot duku down from here with our little pea shooters and extreme poor aim with a dumb look on our faces.) but besides that they were good films

Topaz Quasar

Topaz Quasar

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1272 posts

Elaborate

On the Poorly Planned part: Obi-wan Kenobi has been around R2D2 a good while in the first 2 films, and possibly the third movie more than likely. Yet there is no plausible reason why his character would forget the droid in Episode 4. He would know R2D2. This is the problem with doing prequels in general.

Ah yes, we all know how HONEST Obi-Wan Kenobi was in Ep. 4....... :huh:

Darkwaters

Darkwaters

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 568 posts

The LOTR would trounce any star wars film, MAUAHHAHAHAHAHAH *looks at oliphants and army of 300,000 orcs and urukai, then looks at imperial walkers and storm troopers, blasters go off and miss horribly, shooting 2 walkers down and one shot burning a small whole in the armor of the mumakil (tower structure on top of oliphants) armored trolls move in and crush the storm troopers, Jedi attack, the rohirim rushes the jedi from the side, smoke rages, a storm trooper manages to actualy hit something, unforunately it was the broad side of minas tirith. Trebuchets launch peices of mina tirath at the walkers, walkers destroyed.*

anyways, I enjoyed the prequels just a little less then the trilogy. But then again I don't realy idolize the trilogy that much, it gets old after a while, the prequels on the other hand loose their enjoyability and rewatch value after the 5th or 7th veiwing of the films. CG is a good thing, a very good thing, without it we wouldn't have yoda jumping around like crazy, no giant clone battle, and no coruscant. I found a rather odd realism in the first film about coruscant that was missing in the second film. However yoda in the second film looked far better then episode 1's version. It all shows an ingenious plot set up by palpatine to become emperor. Anakin's acting did suck in episode 2. And some of the scenes (IE the arm getting chopped off in episode 2 and mauls death in episode 1) were done extremely poorly. And both were in desperate need of common sense (we've got a ship here full of rockets and lasers, so lets try and shoot duku down from here with our little pea shooters and extreme poor aim with a dumb look on our faces.) but besides that they were good films

During the entire battle an Imperial Star Destroyer over orbit simply starts firing its turbo lasers at the planet and wipes out everything on the surface. The remaining ships leave. Sorry LOTR.

Anyways, I love them both. I just wanted to have turbo lasers blast all of those orcs.

Topaz Quasar

Topaz Quasar

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1272 posts

The Jedis were more soldiers than diplomats and rushed blindly in every fight.

What are you talking about?

Darkwaters

Darkwaters

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 568 posts

The Jedis were more soldiers than diplomats and rushed blindly in every fight.

What are you talking about?

Yea, seriously! It seems to me like you're just watching the movie and not also LISTENING.

Oh well, I guess the movies really don't do a very good job of portraying the Jedi's diplomatic uses very well. But its George Lucas, hes seriously losing his touch (IMO).

tripleRRR

tripleRRR

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 783 posts
What the movies do not show is the Jedi's long history of peaceful solutions to disputes.

At this time there is little negotiations can do to solve things, because the Sith are stirring things up. There is little room for such diplomacy during this time.

TripleRRR

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15734 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
1. I prefer the original trilogy to the prequel trilogy thus far.

2. I prefer KOTOR's storyline to the prequel storyline thus far.

3. Sure it's possible. Maybe Lucas will finally get things right and make an excellent movie. It's supposed to be a very dark movie, so here's hoping.

4. I would always enjoy more movies of any franchise, as long as they are good movies. Problem is that sequels tend to lose their edge because eventually you run out of new ways to do things.

Rayne-RF1

Rayne-RF1

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 75 posts

I'm intersted in hearing anyone's views on either of the following.

1. How do you feel about the prequel trilogy so far as compared to the original trilogy?

2. Which storyline do you like better, the prequels' or KOTOR's?

3. If (like me)you have been disapointed with EP. 1 and 2, do you think that it's possible that the third flick could save the trilogy.

Please explain yourselves. Thank you.

1. As much as I liked the prequels,I'm afraid they just don't measure up to the original trilogy.

2. Kotor's storyline was brilliant,of course it's better than the prequels.

3. I seriously doubt that Episode III can make up for the shortcomings of Episodes I and II,but as a Star Wars fan I will probably watch it anyway.

4. I wouldn't mind seeing "Kotor -The Movie",but I don't think that will ever happen.

Darth Sun_Tzu

Darth Sun_Tzu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2370 posts
  • Location:Errrrrrrrrrmm that sandy planet, i forget what they call it.

I'm intersted in hearing anyone's views on either of the following.

1. How do you feel about the prequel trilogy so far as compared to the original trilogy?

2. Which storyline do you like better, the prequels' or KOTOR's?

3. If (like me)you have been disapointed with EP. 1 and 2, do you think that it's possible that the third flick could save the trilogy.

Please explain yourselves.  Thank you.

There are a lot of people who think that the prequels are really bad but i like them, i do admit that they are not as good as the OT but remember you are comparing them to films that have been considered classics for over twenty years! I feel they make my enjoyment of the OT better.

The films would have to be the best ever films made just to compare to the originals. GL has made decent film but not remarkable.

As I have said many times, I would hate to see the SW universe die with GL, there should be more films but GL should not be writer/director.

If there are more films made he should be involved (as it is his creation) but other people should take the lead on the writing and directing as it happen in the OT.

As for KotOR it is the bomb!

Gheralt

Gheralt

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 72 posts
1) Well, there are aspects in the original and the prequels that are very similar. The most obvious one is Lucas' use of AnnoyingComicRelief<tm>. In The Empire Strikes Back, it was C3PO. In Return of the Jedi, it was those blasted Ewoks. In The Phantom Menace, it was Jar Jar. *cringes*

So, there are certainly parts I dislike about all of them. The Phantom Menace just happens to annoy me more than all of the other films. We have Jar Jar, a very annoying young Anakin, and those blasted Force bacteria. (Why? Why?!?!) Now, I have the ideal drinking game when this is all over. Watch all six movies. Every time a Skywalker whines, take a sip.

2) The storylines aren't that bad in either, really. It's the execution (read: Acting). The VA's for KotOR simply destroy the actors in the prequels, except for a few exceptions: Palpatine, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon (probably misspelled that), Dooku, Yoda, and a few others I'm likely forgetting.

Having said all that, I must agree with the fellow who compared KotOR to NWN-- Find 4 things, move on to point B.

Really, Neverwinter Nights, KotOR, and Baldur's Gate have many similarities in their plots.

In Baldur's Gate and KotOR, you are a Nobody who finds out you are a Somebody.
In NWN and KotOR, your high, righteous lady friend falls like a sack of potatoes.
There are a few others, but my brain's addled at the moment. Mea culpa.

3) The third one can go either way, and for me, it hinges all on our boy, Anakin. I have dismal hopes after hearing, "I want to be the best Jedi EVAR!" But we'll see, won't we?

--Gheralt

The_Prodigal_Knight

The_Prodigal_Knight

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 512 posts

3) I see no hope for the prequels to be saved judging by the earlier movies. Well, I suppose the only thing that might save it is if they allowed Natalie Portman to actually, you know, act. She is a freaking goddess... Ok, so maybe I am a little partial to her and thing Natalie Portman is awesome and not her character. I'm just attracted to a beautiful girl with a 4.0 from Harvard and with 4 fluent languages under her belt.

Knowing four languages isnīt very much where i live. ( I live in some small islands called Faroe Islands. Size about 1/20 of Hawaii :unsure: We almost beat Germany in Soccer :rolleyes: ) I know Faroese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English and Dutch.
(Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are almost the same, but it still counts :blink: ) And i know a little Islandic. Not to brag.

Darth Sun_Tzu

Darth Sun_Tzu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2370 posts

3) I see no hope for the prequels to be saved judging by the earlier movies. Well, I suppose the only thing that might save it is if they allowed Natalie Portman to actually, you know, act. She is a freaking goddess... Ok, so maybe I am a little partial to her and thing Natalie Portman is awesome and not her character. I'm just attracted to a beautiful girl with a 4.0 from Harvard and with 4 fluent languages under her belt.

Knowing four languages isnīt very much where i live. ( I live in some small islands called Faroe Islands. Size about 1/20 of Hawaii :unsure: We almost beat Germany in Soccer :rolleyes: ) I know Faroese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English and Dutch.
(Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are almost the same, but it still counts :blink: ) And i know a little Islandic. Not to brag.

But in a country where people can barely speak there own language then that is impresive! :blink:

The_Prodigal_Knight

The_Prodigal_Knight

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 512 posts

But in a country where people can barely speak there own language then that is impresive!  :rolleyes:

My own language is Faroese. Apparently your very bored :unsure:

Darth Sun_Tzu

Darth Sun_Tzu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2370 posts

But in a country where people can barely speak there own language then that is impresive!  ;)

My own language is Faroese. Apparently your very bored :rolleyes:

I did not mean you. I was refering to the person that u were quoting!

Guest_Fallen Jedi_*

Guest_Fallen Jedi_*
  • Guests

Knowing four languages isnīt very much where i live. ( I live in some small islands called Faroe Islands. Size about 1/20 of Hawaii :rolleyes: We almost beat Germany in Soccer ;) ) I know Faroese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English and Dutch.
(Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are almost the same, but it still counts :lol: ) And i know a little Islandic. Not to brag.

If you want a real challenge then I suggest you try to learn Finnish.

Even for us (Finnish people) Finnish language can be quite difficult sometimes :lol:

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

*shudder* That's scary throught :rolleyes:. The nordic languages are similar enough to understand a little of them by looking at them, but finnish is an entirely another matter :rolleyes:. And I myself, I'm currently satisfied enough by my current challenge: Learning japansese :D

Darth Sun_Tzu

Darth Sun_Tzu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2370 posts

*shudder* That's scary throught :rolleyes:. The nordic languages are similar enough to understand a little of them by looking at them, but finnish is an entirely another matter :rolleyes:. And I myself, I'm currently satisfied enough by my current challenge: Learning japansese :D

Good for u! But I have enough trouble with english to take on another language.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5135 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Original Trilogy > KOTOR > Edited Original Trilogy > Prequels

Yup, case closed.

Meshugger

Meshugger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5135 posts
  • Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Knowing four languages isnīt very much where i live. ( I live in some small islands called Faroe Islands. Size about 1/20 of Hawaii :blink: We almost beat Germany in Soccer ;) ) I know Faroese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English and Dutch.
(Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are almost the same, but it still counts :p ) And i know a little Islandic. Not to brag.

Even for us (Finnish people) Finnish language can be quite difficult sometimes :lol:

Morjens! ;)

EUIX

EUIX

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 342 posts
Force choke aaah finally annoying ass Legolas is dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users