Ship crew mechanics disappointing...

While they are more complex and detailed than a game like say Sid Meier's Pirates, Deadfire is a bit devolved and intrusive when compared to a full-scope rpg such as Sunless Sea... where the options and interactivity are much more plentiful.

From what we have seen, there are many npc's to hire but the options of which to interact with them on the ship are ultimately rather limiting. I was hoping that there would be more freedom with the crew than Sunless Sea. I'm not saying the game should be focused on the crew, Sunless Sea was not, so do not confuse my words.

If you've played Sunless Sea or Sunless Skies even, then you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, check out some videos or get the game to get an idea.

Some valid criticisms here. You know as well as I do that I have seen enough to know exactly what to expect and know what we will not get. This is not a huge issue but was something worth writing about as it is pretty important to some of us backers nonetheless. Just wish I could have said different... But does not in any way change my love for the game.

Case closed, and as always, thank you for reading!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I’m so glad you took the time to share these true science facts with us. I’ve been struggling to form my own opinions on the matter. All cleared up now!

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

You're very welcome! I suppose some may know the facts already but for those who didn't know, this is a bit of valuable knowledge for those who do not know.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I know right!

Still someone will still try to make it look like a troll post, just because they see it as a threat or a negative post when it's just a post comparing to other games with ship crew mechanics. I mean, like I said, it's not a huge deal, am just slightly disappointed.

It's probably even less of a deal to people who have less experience with ship crew mechanics but grateful that you guys know what I mean :)

• Like 1

It is an opinion that it is disappointing, however, it's a fact that the ship crew mechanics are far less than Sunless Sea but more than Sid Meiers Pirates. But we can keep being fools and acting like that isn't fact. That works too...

Also, I'm sorry that some didn't find the information useful but I know some will. Like I said, it really will appeal to people who have experience in these type of games involving the specified mechanics. Thanks everyone for your comments :)

Edited by SonicMage117

it's a fact that the ship crew mechanics are far less than Sunless Sea but more than Sid Meiers Pirates. But we can keep being fools and acting like that isn't fact.

Hmm. I checked SonicMage117’s post history and also learned that a screwdriver is neither a hammer nor a blowtorch. My mind is blown. Edited by Achilles

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Could you describe what exactly differs from the crew mechanics in sunless sea? I haven't played that game.

Better yet, ask him to explain why it matters.

Besides keeping your crew well fed and kept, which is a trait in these types of games, there are a few things I will list to which insists makes Deadfire's ship crew mechanics inferior. I won't touch the basics becaue all 3 games I listed in my original post seem to be vastly similar as far as basic functions and mechanics outline goes.

*Crew can degress morally, causing them to get sick, physically or mentally. They can be driven insane or panick and kill off the other crew members or even the captain. Disease is plentiful, but insanity can be even more plentiful.

*Crew can act for themselves and make decisions for themselves. If the sea or battles get to be too much, they will abandon ship without permissible cause or intent of captain/admiral.

*Crew may be limited to 2 crew members if a barrage is successful, but must be at least 3 crew memebers if a barrage is not successful. So there lies a penalty for not being successful.

*Crew capacity is based off of what type of ship you are using. Thus, upgrading or building unto your ship avails room for more crew, which is logical I suppose.

*Prize crew for abandoned or comendeered vessel which allows you to set to follow, lay waste, or go to dock. This can be used to multiply your crew or minimize it. You may store members for later use. You will not have a party of two or three in Sunless Sea as you do in Sid Meiers Pirates but you will have a spare ship or what may.

*Crew are free to kill themselves in different ways, if so choose. Of course, they must be driven to this point. They can stab themselves, shoot themselves, hang themselves or jump ship and sacrifice themselves to what lies beneath.

*Ship romances lead to having a baby/kid on board. This changes the morality a bit and can manipulate/change the dialouge a bit. As one who played countless hours of Sunless Sea, I was surprised at how exactly it changed my prerspective of the game as well as any other who has played it.

*Ship jobs are more varied and realistic in Sunless Sea. You have cook, doctor, musician, weapon master, etc. Each one has a specific job based on attributes and stats to drive them to be better at one task than another member so this makes it a bit more realistic easily.

*The morality and reputation system of Sunless Sea is very evolved and has an effect on how crew reacts and behaves on ship as well as off ship. If you have a master thief in your party, they may steal for you while in London but may steal from you if on ship and hungry. A seducttress may attempt to seduce you and kill you in your sleep in order to take control of the vessel. The crew could mutinize you if you are abusive or neglectful or make promises you cannot keep.

Can not speak about rank specifics yet though since as far as I know, Obsidian hasn't explained too much about the rank system. I do know that Sunless Sea has a very complex rank system that makes sense though. Promotion is a powerful motivator and demotion can send some off the rail.

• Like 1

Could you describe what exactly differs from the crew mechanics in sunless sea? I haven't played that game.

It certainly matters to people like me who have played both games but it may not matter to people who haven't as they do not know the difference. Sometimes ignorance is best as it doesn't allow one to be discouraged or dissapointed. That said, still will enjoy the game, just was hoping that the ship crew mechanics and functions would blow Sunless Sea outbof the water - since in the same respect, they are both rpg's which do not have ship crews as main focus but as rather a side thing.

It certainly matters to people like me who have played both games but it may not matter to people who haven't as they do not know the difference. Sometimes ignorance is best as it doesn't allow one to be discouraged or dissapointed. That said, still will enjoy the game, just was hoping that the ship crew mechanics and functions would blow Sunless Sea outbof the water - since in the same respect, they are both rpg's which do not have ship crews as main focus but as rather a side thing.
If this was a sailing game (rather than a game that had sailing in it), these points *might* have a modicum of relevance.

You're right, it's definitely not a sailing game, as Sunless Sea is not but sailing is still an integtal part of Deadfire and Sunless Sea alike. Even Obsidian's marketing has focused on a the characters on ship and the last update was all about ships, the ship-dueling system and such.... so the relevance of the topic may be more relevant than we all desire to believe.

Also, I may be wrong but I can imagine people spending alot more time sailing in Deadfire than on land as it's possible to progress on ship alone.

If this was a sailing game (rather than a game that had sailing in it), these points *might* have a modicum of relevance.

Just because the game isn't primarily about sailing doesn't mean that any of those points are moot???

If you went to order a burger from a restaurant and asked for a water and they served you a nice burger and pissed in your glass of water, I suppose you'd just say

"hmm well there's piss in my water but I came here for a burger with a drink not a drink with a burger so I can't complain"

Since forum logic 101 states anyone who agrees with the oposition is viewed as such, I guess 2 sockpuppets now...

What gave it away? The fact that they are new profiles or that anyone could possibly agree with me? :/

Edited by SonicMage117

Sock puppet?

Are you having a rough day or are you just a bit of a sea word all the time? OP makes a post trying to discuss game mechanics and literally the first post in the thread is you making unconstructive posts and antagonizing the guy. You deflect any posts disagreeing with you and never actually address anything he says with legitimate arguments. 

I think you've actually been served piss in water. Was it OP who pissed in it? Is that why you're acting out?

Edited by LampStaple
  • Like 2

Sock puppet?

Are you having a rough day or are you just a bit of a sea word all the time? OP makes a post trying to discuss game mechanics and literally the first post in the thread is you making unconstructive posts and antagonizing the guy. You deflect any posts disagreeing with you and never actually address anything he says with legitimate arguments. 

I think you've actually been served piss in water. Was it OP who pissed in it? Is that why you're acting out?

"Sea word"? Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

You're new, so you haven't been around long enough to recognize SM117's shtick. OP doesn't say anything worth addressing outside of what's been said (albeit sarcastically).

• Like 1

Sock puppet?

Sounds to me like you don't know Sonic. :p

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Another thread ruined I see, that's okay. I figured it would happen.

I must be honest with you guys, the moderators have sent me plenty of private messages advising to ignore some of the members, it seems alot of my posts were reported but moderators denied deleting the threads or banning me.

While I've often been accused of trolling, it's seems like the members who accuse me of trolling only confuse themselves. I have no control if someone takes something the wrong way of how my thread is written which is why I won't stop. However, I'm used to being accused of "implying" this or that and anything in general really, so much that if I write something well, it's attacked, even when I give credit to detail.

In short, I have a good rep with the moderators because they see past the bs which some of the members have accused me of. I don't really write to contest with anyone, but the members usually write to stir up drama. I only write from my heart and what comes to mind so any negatory response without reason is futile and rendered disfavored. But now I'm going to get all emotional and leave this forum for good. The last sentence was a joke obviously.