Variables Affecting a Ranged Character

I've never played Pillars of Eternity One, so please forgive my noobness...

Which attributes govern ranged attacks (Bows, Guns, etc.)?

It seems to me Pillars does not use the popular system of Strength affecting Melee vs Dexterity affecting Ranged.

Does Might (or Strength as rumored), Dexterity, and Perception affect melee and ranged attacks in the same way?

Is the Ranger class not even necessarily the best ranged class?

Iirc, in PoE1, Might is the determiner of magical and melee damage. Some other stats may increase the duration.

OP has asked about ranged weapon attacks.

In PoE1 Might affects ranged weapon damage as well.

In PoE2 Strength affects damage of all weapons (melee, ranged, summoned).

DEX and PER affect all weapons the samy way. 

Vancian =/= per rest.

Iirc, in PoE1, Might is the determiner of magical and melee damage. Some other stats may increase the duration.

but question were ranged, not melee, yes?

weapon damage, melee and ranged, is current linked to deadfire strength... which were kinda poe1 might.  ranged and melee weapons is subject to a bonus/penalty from strength.

dexterity is vital important to most ranged combatants as it affects speed o' attacks. more attacks is better, no?

perception, one expects, is gonna be vital important early in deadfire, but less so late.  perception is the attribute linked to accuracy bonuses.  more accuracy = more likely to hit. however, it appears that much as with poe, there is gonna be many obvious and arcane methods for boosting accuracy as the game progresses.  

if a special attack has a duration or an aoe size, then such factors will be modified by intellect. 

constitution continues to be a meh attribute which boosts health and affects fortitude saves, but is a kinda forgotten attribute 'cause while it might be prohibitive to disproportionate reduce constitution for most builds, few players is gonna wanna boost it either.  

resolve modifies deflection (likelihood you will avoid being hit) as well as magical and healing damage.  "magical damage" can be a muddy concept as while a fireball does magic damage, the damage attributed to a paladin's ability to make his weapon burst into flames is linked to strength.  

resolve and constitution is gonna be the obvious least important attributes for a ranged weapon character, with intellect typical being o' negligible benefit... but is not always the case.

the ranger class isn't necessarily the best ranged weapon class, but it has nice options as well as a dedicated ranged subclass. multiclasses have the potential to outclass any single class.  you will find crazy rod and sceptre ranged builds which involve helwalker monks and barbarians and do ludicrous damage. ranger is often part o' such ranged build alchemy, but not always. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

See the second question.

second question: Does Might (or Strength as rumored), Dexterity, and Perception affect melee and ranged attacks in the same way?

answer: Iirc, in PoE1, Might is the determiner of magical and melee damage. Some other stats may increase the duration.

still doesn't appear particular responsive.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

:lol: Poor Gromnir.

I'm brand new to this forum, so maybe i'm missing something...

but is it commonplace for a "moderator" to be trolling?

gifted has unique and amusing reading skills.  don't let it bother you.

also, is admitted difficult to troll us in the sense we tend to be equal dismissive o' shennanigans regardless o' wacky perceived social status which can develop on such boards. am gonna react same to developers as to moderators and to so-called noobs and to longtime posters.  

HA! Good Fun!

O I C

I'm getting a better idea of the atmosphere in this forum :lol:

From everybody's feedback I conclude that characters can easily switch between melee and ranged attacks without losing much damage per second because both use might, dexterity, and perception to hit and deal damage.  Constitution and Resolve determine how squishy they are.

Does armor type have any affect on which weapons are used?  I.E. Heavy Armor conflicts with Bow? 

Does armor type have any affect on which weapons are used? I.E. Heavy Armor conflicts with Bow?

Armor penalties work the same for melee weapons and bows. So in other words: no special conflicts. Some weapons like for example guns don't have recovery time but reloading time which is not influenced by armor. They are generally slow but won't slow down further with heavy armor.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Armor which resists against piercing blows is key on your journey, assuming your character can afford to wear it.

Welcome to the forums!!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...