I'm having some trouble finding a good, solid, basic, 2 handed weapon build.

Ideally I'd go with a Paladin? I love the greatsword paladin as an archetype, but otherwise fighter works too. Or I guess any melee class that can off-tank. I'm not interested in cipher or chanter though.

It's just that every build I find is sword and shield or dual wielding. I know it's not optimal, but I normally play on normal mode or hard anyway, so it probably doesn't matter. I'd just wing it but whenever I do I end up missing a lot of really cool synergy builds.  Plus stat allocations end up confusing me a bit, I never know to stack per/dex/int/might or what.

Ideally I'd like a low macro build, as a main character. This will be my 'into POE2' run.  For POE1 I'll be using the story characters, and I do have WM1 and 2.  Pretty familiar with the 1.0 version of the game, but haven't played since then, so I've forgotten everything.

If you like paladins and flaming swords and high spike damage, then here's something:

Race: doesn't really matter, go for your favorite

Stats (not set in stone):

MIG: 15

CON: 10

DEX: 15

PER: 15

INT: 15

RES: 08

Class: Bleak Walker's or Goldpact Knight (more spike damage) or Kind Wayfarer (good AoE healing - here Moon Godlike makes sense)

Key items: Forgemaster Gloves and Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer (both are obtainable quite early so you're not spending 75% of the game with hunting equipment to make a build work).

Talents:

- Weapon Focus <whatever your backup/alternative weapon should be>

- Remember Rhakan Field or Enduring Flames or Strange Mercy+Sword & Shepherd

- Intense Flames

- Scion of Flame

- Runner's Wounding Shot

- Two Handed Style

- Savage Attack

- Apprentice's Sneak Attack (not in case of Kind Wayfarer)

Abilities:

- Flames of Devotion

- Lay on Hands

- Zealous Focus

- Sworn Enemy

- Inspiring Triumph

- Righteous Soul

- Sacred Immolation

- Behold the Martyr or Abjuration

Your main weapon will be Firebrand which you will use in every fight (you'll have 6 uses per rest which is plenty). Against burn immune foes you need a solid two handed backup weapon you like. I like using a pike because of the reach, but a great sword is also good because of the two damage types. ST. Ydwen's Redeemer is also a good backup weapon. If you take this I would also pick Abjuration. You can then get instant kills with vessels and spirits which can help a lot. Redeemer can use any weapon focus. Firebrand itself works with any weapon focus, too.

Story talents you desperately want: Merciless Hand (Doemenel Faction) and Dungeon Delver (dyrwooden looters). Firebrand itself is already Annihilating and seasoned with those talents it nearly do +50 damage on crit. With Sworn Enemy + Flames of Devotion (+ 35 ACC) you'll crit pretty often. Use a priest to buff party's accuracy with Devotions of the Faithful and Inspiring Radiance!

I recently tested a Bleak Walker with this setup and got crits over 200 with Flames of Devotion...

Also Runner's Wounding Shot with Firebrand is very good.

Offtanking is ok as always with a paladin. Use Lay on Hands on yourself if you need to.

Spike damage is awesome. Really nice.

You might want to use medium armor instead of plate in order to be faster. In the early game plate is very good but durig Act II I would tune it down to hide or even padded. But this depends what feels best for you. If you like plate then it's also ok of course.

The micro is not too high: summon Firebrand and beat up stuff with FoD and Runner's Wounding Shot. Heal once you or friends seem to have trouble. That's it.

Later summon Firebrand and turn on Sacred Immolation.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If you like paladins and flaming swords and high spike damage, then here's something:

Race: doesn't really matter, go for your favorite

Stats (not set in stone):

MIG: 15

CON: 10

DEX: 15

PER: 15

INT: 15

RES: 08

Class: Bleak Walker's or Goldpact Knight (more spike damage) or Kind Wayfarer (good AoE healing - here Moon Godlike makes sense)

Key items: Forgemaster Gloves and Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer (both are obtainable quite early so you're not spending 75% of the game with hunting equipment to make a build work).

Talents:

- Weapon Focus <whatever your backup/alternative weapon should be>

- Remember Rhakan Field or Enduring Flames or Strange Mercy+Sword & Shepherd

- Intense Flames

- Scion of Flame

- Runner's Wounding Shot

- Two Handed Style

- Savage Attack

- Apprentice's Sneak Attack (not in case of Kind Wayfarer)

Abilities:

- Flames of Devotion

- Lay on Hands

- Zealous Focus

- Sworn Enemy

- Inspiring Triumph

- Righteous Soul

- Sacred Immolation

- Behold the Martyr or Abjuration

Your main weapon will be Firebrand which you will use in every fight (you'll have 6 uses per rest which is plenty). Against burn immune foes you need a solid two handed backup weapon you like. I like using a pike because of the reach, but a great sword is also good because of the two damage types. ST. Ydwen's Redeemer is also a good backup weapon. If you take this I would also pick Abjuration. You can then get instant kills with vessels and spirits which can help a lot. Redeemer can use any weapon focus. Firebrand itself works with any weapon focus, too.

Story talents you desperately want: Merciless Hand (Doemenel Faction) and Dungeon Delver (dyrwooden looters). Firebrand itself is already Annihilating and seasoned with those talents it nearly do +50 damage on crit. With Sworn Enemy + Flames of Devotion (+ 35 ACC) you'll crit pretty often. Use a priest to buff party's accuracy with Devotions of the Faithful and Inspiring Radiance!

I recently tested a Bleak Walker with this setup and got crits over 200 with Flames of Devotion...

Also Runner's Wounding Shot with Firebrand is very good.

Offtanking is ok as always with a paladin. Use Lay on Hands on yourself if you need to.

Spike damage is awesome. Really nice.

You might want to use medium armor instead of plate in order to be faster. In the early game plate is very good but durig Act II I would tune it down to hide or even padded. But this depends what feels best for you. If you like plate then it's also ok of course.

The micro is not too high: summon Firebrand and beat up stuff with FoD and Runner's Wounding Shot. Heal once you or friends seem to have trouble. That's it.

Later summon Firebrand and turn on Sacred Immolation.

Thanks for the reply!

So it's a slightly modified 'Sh!t's on fire' build? The only thing I don't like is relying on a bracer to summon my weapon.  Part of the appeal of the 2-handed class is 'class fantasy' and for me, a summoned weapon just doesn't twirl my nipples. I wasn't sure how to change it, or which weapons to use. Runners is used as an opener? What's the appeal, hobble doesn't seem powerful for a melee class if I'm reading it right.

I'm also eyeballing the 'Lady of Pain' build, which takes charge instead of Runners.  

Thinking of doing a fighter/paladin build around tall grass (I assume barbarian would be better since on-hit works for carnage, but I like having Maneha use bittercut or war hammers).

Hah, Boeroer is it your current task to bring the god of fire to all the classes? Not that I’m complaining, the biggest thing that you already noted, is you get the two important items, very quickly.

Darnalak

Oh, I think I can answer this. He was suggesting those two items for the Paladin, because of the increase in burn damage that class can get natively and easily, plus I literally asked for a 2-handed paladin build, and that's a pretty standard one from what I've seen.

Hah, Boeroer is it your current task to bring the god of fire to all the classes? Not that I’m complaining, the biggest thing that you already noted, is you get the two important items, very quickly.

Darnalak 

Kind of. :)

Since the belt is in the game Firebrand went from an occasional weapon (3 per rest) to a potential main weapon (6 per rest). And since it's the melee weapon with the highest possible damage per hit it's nice for several builds.

Other two handers like Tidefall can ourperform it in the late game (with a lot of enchanting), but it's so much fun to use it throughout the entire game that I stick to it. It also helps to spare precious resources like durgan steel, dragon/kraken eyes etc.

Edited by Boeroer

Darnalak

Oh, I think I can answer this. He was suggesting those two items for the Paladin, because of the increase in burn damage that class can get natively and easily, plus I literally asked for a 2-handed paladin build, and that's a pretty standard one from what I've seen.

Basically with Firebrand and Bleak Walker you can get the highest spike damage possible in the game (besides Backstab + Deathblows which requires a heck of micro).

Lady of Pain with Tidefall is a solid choice.

Runner's Wounding Shot isn't about the hobble, it's about the +80% raw multiplicative damage. Usually it does the same overall damage as a strike woth FoD + Intense Flames. It's great to take out high priority targets asap. Especially because the paladin has no other special attacks besides his 2 FoD strikes.

Of course Charge is better, but that's lvl 13 (!) while Runner's Wounding Shot comes very early. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Darnalak

Basically with Firebrand and Bleak Walker you can get the highest spike damage possible in the game (besides Backstab + Deathblows which requires a heck of micro).

Lady of Pain with Tidefall is a solid choice.

Runner's Wounding Shot isn't about the hobble, it's about the +80% raw multiplicative damage. Usually it does the same overall damage as a strike woth FoD + Intense Flames. It's great to take out high priority targets asap. Especially because the paladin has no other special attacks besides his 2 FoD strikes.

Of course Charge is better, but that's lvl 13 (!) while Runner's Wounding Shot comes very early. 

Could you explain the whole '80% raw multiplicative damage' thing? I clearly didn't get it when I read the ability description. It sounds like you just do 80% of an attack, instantly, at range? I can't really 1-shot enemies, even squishy ones, on normal/hard.

For a Paladin, I would also consider Abydon's Hammer.

The +4 MIG it brings to the table is awesome to buff the paladin's main source of damages : Sacred Immolation.

+12% all damages and heal and +8 to arguably the most important secondary defense (Fortitude) synergize very well with Paladin's abilities.

The stunning ring is also very potent, even if it has no "special interaction" with Paladin.

Does anyone know if Sacred Immolation use Paladin's stats at the moment of Casting hit or check the current stats at each tick ?

If the first one is true, holding Abydon's hammer while casting Ring of the Ancient Forge and Sacred Immolation then switching to Tidefall or any other pure DPS 2-hander might be great?

This Is all great stuff since I’m such a Paladin fan lol I have to somehow get ride of my Outworn Buckler :( I always end up playing sword and board with the Paladin cause it’s so good, when I have a 2 handed I miss the high saves :( so I always end up just quick switching to an Arbalest for high alpha then ASAP back to my buckler and marking weapon lol

Have gun will travel.

Here's how i did a 2hand build.

Paladin shield varient

Human

Str 17

Con 10

Dex 13

Per 16

Int 8

Res 14

Gonna want FoD and late game lay on hands.

Def pick up 2 handed style, soldier, bloody slaughter, savage attack. As for abilities... Cultivate your faith and co viction. That is your bread and butter. At level 15 all my def are higher then eder except deflection and thats by 13pts. Hes using a shield.

Other good ones are reviving exhortation, inspiring triumph, and behold the martyr. I use zealous focus. Despite the low int the range is good enough for your front line.

Now the first gear you gonna wanna get is the belt of royal deadfire. Soulbound its awesome fully upgraded. That gives you 3 casts if firebrand, flame shield on critical hit, torrent of flame with a massive aoe AND gives you 3 might 3 dex and 2 int. So one item puts your stats at:

Str 20

Con 10

Dex 16

Per 16

Int 10

Res 14

Eventually seigebreaker guantlets get your res to 18

Now know this... This build is more of an iconic paladin. Eder is your tank. You are main damager for first half of game. However you are tanky too. Also you dont get charmed/ dominated/ and hardly ever knocked down. You are mr reliable. If everybody else is down, you are the guy still standing that snatches victory from defeat. All your gear is gonna be dedicated to boosting that aspect. I just killed adra dragon. Whole party was down and dragon was down to 1 pip. I used reviveing exhortation on durance, who used revive the fallen on aloth. Aloth hit dragon with darkfire and paralyzed it. Durance hit me with champions boon, and i dealt the deathblow to that bastard. Was so awesome!

My paladin isnt the best minmaxed damage dealer, and while he is for first half of game he will get outclassed by aloth and a cypher with stormcaller late game. However this build will always be your lucky charm. He almost always lands the deathblows on the big ticket items. Saves the day. Super fun to play.

I was torn between max enchanted tidefall and st ydwins redeemer for main weapon. Tidefall with durgan steel the better weapon, but redeemer just has too many good abilities that help yours. Plus you fight vessels alot in this game and the destroy vessel ability on it really comes in handy.

Armor is white crest. If this sword and shield build id use ryonas breastplate, but its not. So white crest with durgan steel, corrosion proof, +1 perception, and enchant the quality a you go.

Helm is tempered helm... +25 def to hobbled, stuck, paralyzed, charm, confused, +10 def to dominated, +3 might on kill... Yes please.

Then boots of stability. Rest is matter of preference.

Most fun build ive played.

At level 15 with gear, talents, and resting bonus. Stats are

Str 23

Con 10

Dex 16

Per 18

Int 11

Res 19

Def 100, fort 116, ref 122, will 116

Acc 98 (unless savage attack on)

Interupt 21 (might grab a perk for that)

Concentration 102

• Like 1

Runner's Wounding Shot takes your initial damage roll with all damage modifiers (Sneak Attack, Two Handed Style, crits and whatnot) substracts DR and then applies 80% *1.MIG bonus as raw damage.

In case of a Firebrand annihilating crit with Damaging III, Merciless Hand, 15 MIG, Two Handed Style, Scion of Flame and Savage Attack you'll get

25 avg base *(1+0.45+0.5+0.5+0.3+0.15+0.2+0.15+0.2+0.2) = 86 burn damage + 86 * 0.92 = 86 burn + 79 raw.

This will one-shot most squishy targets like casters until late game even on PotD.

Every attack roll of Sacred Immolation will use the stats you have at that moment. That means that you can cast it and buff afterwards or switch weapons to Abydon's Hammer and get +12% damage for the attack rolls. Also stuff like Distant Advantage (wood elf) works if your radius is big enough.