The Deadfire Scavenger Codes - WE FOUND THEM ALL - Cutthroat Cosmo! - Bonus Pets!

Maybe is just me but when Josh turns it seems to intentionally put the mug perpendicular to the camera to make it readable...

Just his Obsidian coffee mug. All the employees have one (you see them everywhere in Road to Eternity)

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Maybe is just me but when Josh turns he seem to intentionally put the mug perpendicular to the camera to make it readable...

Indeed. Hard to read though.

"J E Sawyer

[something] Super [something]

Helios One"

Oh crap.  Helios One.

Coincidence... or red herring?

Eastern reflector control terminal password

4d7920766f696365206973206d792070617373706f72742e

When converted to ASCII, the password reads: "My voice is my passport."

Western reflector control terminal password

546f6f206d616e79207365656372657473

When converted to ASCII, the password reads: "Too many secrets"

• Like 1

I’ll try to carve out some times this weekend to get you a screenshot, but I’m telling you, he’s had that cup for years.

Either the codes are intentionally invoking FONV....or that’s just his coffee cup

• Like 2

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I’ll try to carve out some times this weekend to get you a screenshot, but I’m telling you, he’s had that cup for years.

Either the codes are intentionally invoking FONV....or that’s just his coffee cup

Oh.  Entirely possible.  We just have this tall stack of codes that don't seem to relate to anything, and all of a sudden obsidian acknowledges them in a very specific way...

I feel like the problem isn't that we don't have enough pieces to the puzzle, we just haven't found anything to orient them against.

• Like 1

Maybe is just me but when Josh turns he seem to intentionally put the mug perpendicular to the camera to make it readable...

Indeed. Hard to read though.

"J E Sawyer

[something] Super [something]

Helios One"

I think it's "Shift Supervisor", pretty sure about the second word, not much about the first one.

• Like 1

Oh.  Entirely possible.  We just have this tall stack of codes that don't seem to relate to anything, and all of a sudden obsidian acknowledges them in a very specific way...

I feel like the problem isn't that we don't have enough pieces to the puzzle, we just haven't found anything to orient them against.

Figstarter, first appearance at 2:47. You can see the opposite side logoing on Feargus' cup in the original Kickstarter vid at 2:27.

• Like 2

Hmm, my noodles are frying. We see six coils of rope on that muppet deck, and there are rather specific and intricate rope twists attached to them. What if those six are some sort of decryption possibility. And how many tattoos does the Josh muppet have on his left arm? Is that a code. I mean, their shirts say O as in Obsidian, I presume. Could that also be part of a code, though?

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hmm, on a good site about the most common ciphers, the most plain of these ciphers actually has "portishead" as an example (otherwise an excellent triphop group from the 1990s):

For instance: Caesar cipher
cesar.jpg
Caesar cipher, is one of the simplest and most widely known encryption techniques. The transformation can be represented by aligning two alphabets, the cipher alphabet is the plain alphabet rotated left or right by some number of positions.
cesar1.png
When encrypting, a person looks up each letter of the message in the 'plain' line and writes down the corresponding letter in the 'cipher' line. Deciphering is done in reverse.
The encryption can also be represented using modular arithmetic by first transforming the letters into numbers, according to the scheme, A = 0, B = 1,..., Z = 25. Encryption of a letter x by a shift n can be described mathematically as
cesar2.png
Plaintext: portishead

cipher variations: qpsujtifbe rqtvkujgcf sruwlvkhdg tsvxmwlieh utwynxmjfi vuxzoynkgj wvyapzolhk xwzbqapmil yxacrbqnjm zybdscrokn azcetdsplo badfuetqmp cbegvfurnq dcfhwgvsor edgixhwtps fehjyixuqt gfikzjyvru hgjlakzwsv ihkmblaxtw jilncmbyux kjmodnczvy lknpeodawz mloqfpebxa nmprgqfcyb onqshrgdzc

Decryption is performed similarly,
cesar3.png
(There are different definitions for the modulo operation. In the above, the result is in the range 0...25. I.e., if x+n or x-n are not in the range 0...25, we have to subtract or add 26.)

Something went wrong in formatting, here's the link: http://easyciphers.com/portishead

EDIT: Well, whatever you type will give you the cipher code - it was me typing "portishead".

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 3

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I couldn't let go of the thought that the codes looked like url shorteners, as mentioned previously in the thread.

So I tried the codes on the 9 most common url shorteners but got only 404's.

Also tried the codes on obsidian.net (as in obsidian.net/25Pwqv for example) but that resulted in 404's also.

Just wanted to mention that it's been tried and tested but the result was a dud.

*edit*

Also tried eternity.obsidian.net. Nothing

Edited by Mannock

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

That would be a very clever double meaning. Is Manifest even a real person? Were they an Obsidian plant all along? Trust nothing.

Hah!

Anyway, the wording on the back of the book is an exact quote from Mikey after Manifest tried a second time to bring it up.

lvWQ6bg.png

What codes are you talking about, indeed!  :p

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure they aren't ciphers.  My vote is on hashids ( http://hashids.org/ ) like goo.gl and so forth use.  I just don't know where they can link to since they don't work with goo.gl or the Twitter's t.co and a couple others.  Just matches too well to the format.  This would mean that, with a salt, they'd align to an integer value or three (depending on padding).  So a database table id or comment id in a forum or a coordinate if 3 or....?

I don't really have rock-solid reasoning but:

1. They're specifically 6 characters like the hashids.

2. They way they're being sent out makes it easy for them to get out-of-order.  And without a solid clue that points to the order, that makes it difficult to combine them into a longer string for a sentence or combined url.  This isn't quite so solid if we go off of official release dates of magazines and Tweets and such, though.

3. The better idea would be to make each 6 character code a link to an image or something that can then be combined together in some other way.  I think this also makes sense from a marketing stand-point since you're solving a little at a time rather than having to wait until the very end.  Keeps people going.

4. The 6 characters doesn't fit into 32/40/64/160 or other hash lengths if combined.

5. Like others, I've gone through the different ciphers to see what could possibly match and there and there just doesn't seem a solid match.  That makes it less likely to be a cipher since I kinda doubt they'd invent a new one since...

6. ... the codes don't seem to be a relatively easy code.  This is a video game, not Kryptos.  I'm very much a beginner with this stuff but I dug around quite a lot and tried a few things and can't get a handle on what it'd be.  There's no single number in each block (some have none and one has 2 numbers).  And the numbers are not always at the beginning (and especially not at the beginning of the first code) so I think that rules out using numbers to shift the alphabet (plus the '25' double number in the latest code throws that off anyway) or define word length.  It uses upper and lower case and numbers so we're working with an expanded alphabet.  Which, again, that hashids.org uses A-Za-z0-9 as the default alphabet - more ammo in my argument that they're hashids.

So, those are just my thoughts and I wanted to share.

• Like 9

...that hashids.org uses A-Za-z0-9 as the default alphabet - more ammo in my argument that they're hashids.

So, those are just my thoughts and I wanted to share.

I'm with you on all of this.

The encryption theory, or any theory that involved a specific sequence, started falling apart when codes were inadvertently being found instead of delivered via twitter in some solid order.

We've got thirteen puzzle pieces (soon to be fourteen, probably ending near twenty at release), just haven't had that break to get to the next "level" of the game.  Maybe we just haven't been clever enough, maybe Obsidian uses some custom URL shortener the'll "accidentally" tweet in the coming weeks.  It certainly isn't exciting to wait, but it's possible that we haven't figured out a context because that clue hasn't been dropped on us yet.

• Like 2

J looks lower case to me. They definitely didn’t do us any favors with the font colors this week :(

• Like 1

I’m sure it’s just a coincidence, but I find it interesting that we’re yet to see a code that has a number for the 3rd character

I've tried different codes using pbs.twimg.com (Twitter's media hosting) but not having any luck there.  Also dug around the code on eternity.obsidian.net and didn't see anything suspicious.

Twitter seems to be the primary source of a lot of this so I was hoping there would be a link there.  No luck unless I'm doing it wrong.  As mentioned before, t.co not working right, either.  

The original puzzle was hosted on www.obsidian.com/la (I think that's right, yeah?  I wasn't here when that happened and didn't know about it until now) so I wonder if these codes work on the obsidian.com domain or another domain.

I've tried doing a domain whois for obsidian.net to see if I could grab the registrar info and see if there are other websites owned but it's hidden via namecheap.  

I've also tried logging into the forums as like Imps/BtF6nW but no go.  

And I've tried a few obsidian.net/<code> combos with no luck.

I'll keep messing around here and there, though!

J looks lower case to me. They definitely didn’t do us any favors with the font colors this week :(

Yeah.... it's almost like we're being watched...  Just last week I was thankful they were using a serif font because it helped clear up ambiguous letters...  now it's some boring ol' generic gothic.

You know what would be really hard to see? A 500 pixel high-contrast QR code!  Lets hope they don't do that, right?   :p

• Like 4