Potions scaling with Alchemy

MaxQuest

Question

Just want to ask if irregular scaling is intended or not?

img bb code seems to be disabled here, so here's the link to comparison: image

• Like 1

21 answers to this question

Haha - awesome. Now off to building my first char based on potions. I'll name it "Weird Al Chemovich"...

Now playing a single class wizard who is addicted to potions of deftness suddenly is worthwhile! ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Now playing a single class wizard who is addicted to potions of deftness suddenly is worthwhile! ;)

It's definitely worth it now. And also there are some nice poisons which scale with alchemy as well. E.g. Stone Joint deals 10 damage per tick at alchemy 0, or 40 damage at alchemy 20.

But hah, it's funny how alchemy doesn't even mention that it affects potions: alchemy description

Eh, i'm honestly not a huge fan of the way alchemy affects the USE of potions and not the creation of them.

Feels a bit too 'gamey' i guess?

But i guess it does make some sense in Pillars of Eternity just how much one's beliefs actually affect the world, so I GUESS just believing that you're great at making potions makes the potions more effective or something, i don't know.

• Like 1

Maybe they will apply those bonuses to crafted potions and this scaling of every potion is just a bug - if they include crafting in the first place. Who knows? I also find it a bit weird that your alchemy skill automatically improves stuff that's already mixed together.

But I could live with that as well. At least a skill that's very useful to have. Since drugs also seem to profit from alchemy, the Nalpasca Alchemist suddenly gets more and more appealing. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

When I look at the images, all stats change by a different number ( both absolute numbers and %) per point of alchemy.

At the moment you cannot tell what bonusses you get if you increase your alchemy by 1 point.

A description like "alchemy increases the effects of consumables by X%" makes no sense at the moment.

By the way: Does alchemy increase the effects of drugs too?

Would this make the drugged monk subclass very powerful?

Porsonally I use only the shattered pillar, because getting powers by hitting things sounds better than getting powers by being hit.

Would this make the drugged monk subclass very powerful?

Already my favorite subclass.

+1 wound every 3s + Alchemy boost. Better than the huge malus of helwalker.

Shattered pillar is limited because of 5 max wounds.

And if iron wheel and turning wheel appear after level 10 = end of shattared pillar 

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 1

Yes, drugs get affected by alchemy as well. Tested it 10 min. ago. A certain drug (forgot which one) does +3 to two attributes with 0 alchemy but +5 with 8 alchemy. With the Nalpasca the drug effect lasted more than 600 seconds.

• Like 1

Intended, by the way. Too lazy to find the post from QA in the bugs section, but I've been maxing out Alchemy on my main ever since.

Speed's been nerfed in the beta update, however, and the tooltips don't reflect that. So at 20 Alchemy you're not actually getting +125% attack speed from the Potion of Deftness.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

In my solo PoTD run, I only used healing potions and no food and beverages. However, I took advantage of resting bonuses when I could, and I abused the hell out of summoning figurines. Without them, I wouldn't have made it. They were with me until the very end-game fight. That's why I'm eager to play a chanting necro-summoner this time around, I want my skeletal army to mow archipelagos until every single islet has sunk in fear (See what I did there? :) ).

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Maybe they will apply those bonuses to crafted potions and this scaling of every potion is just a bug - if they include crafting in the first place. Who knows? I also find it a bit weird that your alchemy skill automatically improves stuff that's already mixed together.

If alchemy would improve the quality of crafted potions:

- we would have only one character per party who would rise it.

- we would use alchemy-buffing scrolls (if there are such) and create potions in big batches

- the bought potions from NPC vendors would not benefit from our alchemy.

On the other hand, I agree, having alchemy increase the quality of crafted potions is much more... natural.

At the moment it looks like current alchemy is some sort of witcher mutation that allows you to get more from the stuff you consume.

There could be also a compromise option:

- there are few alchemist vendors around the world, with alchemy > 0

- alchemy increases the positive qualities of crafted potions, poisons, antidots and boms

- alchemy decreases the negative qualities of consumed/used potions, poisons, antidots and bombs (if any)

- you can leave alchemy at 0, and benefit from NPC potions; or you can a really dedicated alchemist that is capable of making stuff of better quality that can be found around the world (at least in the first 80% of the game)

Intended, by the way. Too lazy to find the post from QA in the bugs section, but I've been maxing out Alchemy on my main ever since.

Hmm, wasn't expected that potions will scale differently. But... it's interesting. Some potions will end up useful only for high-alchemy characters; but there will still be stuff useful for builds with 0 alch.

Speed's been nerfed in the beta update, however, and the tooltips don't reflect that. So at 20 Alchemy you're not actually getting +125% attack speed from the Potion of Deftness.

I am... not that sure of that.

Tooltips were changed yes. And the displayed bonuses were inverted from +%speed to -%time (via this mini-formula: t = 1 - (1 / 1 + s)). Also +50% attack speed in Deadfire is not the same as in PoE1. Stacking bonuses now suffers from diminishing returns.

But you are actually getting +125% action speed from Potion of Deftness at 20 alchemy: image

coef = 1 + 1.25 = 2.25

recovery = 3.0s / coef = 1.33s | and as you can see in screenshot it is displayed as 1.3s | I have also frapsed this, and got exactly 40 frames

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

Interesting. I’ve gotta go back to the drawing board and figure out my math better. Thanks, MaxQuest :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

No problem :)

There is one more partially related bug:

- +% Action Speed effects, increase the displayed reloading duration: image.

- although in reality they actually decrease it. In case of arquebus reloading went down from 182-183 frames to 82 (I have frapsed it)

Which also points on one more tooltip bug:

- base reloading duration of arquebus is 6.1s not 6.8s

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

One more probably not-intended thing: the Reload Speed bonus (from Potion of Spatial Alacrity) is getting lower when you invest in alchemy skill: image

I hate to say, but now I'm worried, cause it's too raw game from my overview, no way Obs gonna polish these things out in two months :(

Kinda nobody pushed them for faster release!

It's depressing to get great ideas implemented in games on paper, but with tremendous exploits aka bugs in reality, and we have so many examples of such approach lately in game development.

Hopefully I will be wrong, but...

Done this with Moon Godlike Wizard

q22yrpP.png

Perebor steam