Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will the guns be more diverse than PoE1?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Wormerine

Wormerine

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I understand what you're saying though, it kinda makes you wonder why sword is still called a sword in Eora, or why a knife is called an knife, axe an axe, etc but why gun isn't called a gun. I mean... the world of Pillars is already so complex, we have to relearn things and are introduced to many more so learning a new term for "gun" is just another thing I suppose.

Well but they are! Long sword, saber, rapier, estoc, katana, morningstar are all weapon which were used historically, however due to being more used in popular culture people are more familiar with them. I know that I had to expend my knowledge of white weaponary when I started to play RPGs.

I have little interest in firearms but I imagine that firearms used in 17th century existed before “guns” were created. I imagine that if we would continue to use swords to this day new terms and types of swords would be created. As it is now new guns were developed, while white weaponary remained mostly the same (beside combat knives etc. Used as a tool or support weapon, rather than main one).

Crucis

Crucis

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1221 posts

Meh.  I just like the elegant simplicity, inaccurate though it may be, of calling them rifles and shotguns.  That's how I've always thought of them in PoE.  Frankly, I doubt that many people even know what arquebusses and blunderbusses are other than being "guns".  It just seems to me that calling them rifles and shotguns is just simpler. (Not to mention easier to spell.)

The general ignorance of the playerbase is no reason to use inaccurate and therefore inferior terms. A game that can teach you something is always better than a game that simply lowers itself to your level of knowledge. The fact that you're unable to appreciate the historical accuracy doesn't suggest that it's not worth it, it in fact suggests that perhaps there's some reading you ought to do on the subject.

It's not about appreciation.  It's about really not caring.  This isn't meant to be snarky towards people who care about firearms history.  It's just not my cup of tea.  And the terms "rifle" and "shotgun" are just so much easier to use, spell, and grasp as concepts.  Musket wouldn't be all that bad an alternative.  I guess it's just a matter of taste.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4689 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You'd think some curious individuals would have started tinkering with combining magic with guns in some form, perhaps using special crystals in the breech to bind various spirit effects to bullets as they are fired. Your PC could retrieve these crystals then use their appropriate skills to insert the piece into a custom, higher-quality weapon.

daven

daven

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 175 posts

I sort of get what you're saying but just because you find a word difficult to spell doesn't meant they should cut it.

I say more long and hard to spell words! It's always good to learn new words.

• Lord_Mord and Wormerine like this

Wormerine

Wormerine

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
But seriously PoE is a first game in ages for which I had to dust off my English dictionary. Once again I could use learning English as an excuse to play games.
  • algroth likes this

Beyond The Sea

Beyond The Sea

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 56 posts
Sawyer likes history. The names are correct terms for the objects. They add flavor. If you want to communicate an early modern setting, you'll have trouble distinguishing it from a late middle age setting, since the transition cannot be pinpointed but is fluid. Using historic terms helps to establish the setting. You don't want the period dissonance and the associations that come with contemporary firearms.
  • Jojobobo, Ninjamestari, kierun and 3 others like this

Ninjamestari

Ninjamestari

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts

It's not about appreciation.  It's about really not caring. 

I hope you realize how you contradicted yourself just there. If you really don't care about something, then by definition you have an inability to appreciate that something, and as I said, that is your failing. You really don't get to make general points on which words should be used when you don't even really understand, let alone appreciate (or even care) what those words actually mean.

I'm not really saying that "You don't understand historic weapons, therefore you're a subhuman **** and should kill yourself", but what I *am* saying that your ignorance *is* a failing, albeit a minor one, and as such should not be used as a basis for decision making in this context. Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert on this myself, but I definitely want the terms the game uses for its firearms to be accurate, if for nothing else than to provide a little education on the side while entertaining me. A game that manages to teach the player knowledge or wisdom that is applicable beyond what happens in the game world is always a superior game compared to a one that doesn't.

Here's a few wikipedia articles, a quick read through should begin to give some idea on how to properly represent the early design firearms:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arquebus

https://en.wikipedia...Shotgun#History

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Blunderbuss

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1666 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Why rename an arquebus to "rifle"? It's a blunderbuss. Else we ahould translate estocs and greatswords etc to just sword (long, medium, short etc). Meh. Who's bothered with these anyway? Just leave them as they are; they add to the character of the game.

Edited by Sedrefilos, 15 January 2018 - 06:08 AM.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1304 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Welp... that escalated quite quickly.
  • MountainTiger likes this

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1666 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think the game has all firearms of the 16th century. What more would one want? Unless, of course, you imply you want more modern stuff and/or fantasy firearms, which is ok, but unfitting to the setting imho.

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1163 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I think the game has all firearms of the 16th century. What more would one want? Unless, of course, you imply you want more modern stuff and/or fantasy firearms, which is ok, but unfitting to the setting imho.

I don't know if things should get modernized, but seafaring mercantilism has a tendency to encourage technological convergences.  Previously, you could explain away proliferation as the specialized skills to build large firearms didn't necessarily propagate as freely as small flintlock pistols could be carried and traded from their source.

But in this picture, Maia is rocking her Sengoku-period matchlock Tanegashima, while her furry friend on the other end of the boat has a pair of flintlock pistols that may as well be from a hundred years in the future.  This isn't a case of a more "elegant weapon for a more civilized age"; I feel a little bad to see that she has an already clumsy and unreliable matchlock in a damp, windy environment.  

Maybe with a little bit of luck, she'll find a flintlock musket in the hold of some captured vessel.   :p

Murp

Murp

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Completely breaking game balance aside, I'd love to play with some pepperbox/revolvers or Howdah style pistols. Maybe in future games when bows and such have been phased out.

Edited by Murp, 19 January 2018 - 11:47 PM.

• Wormerine likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Completely breaking game balance aside, I'd love to play with some pepperbox/revolvers or Howdah style pistols. Maybe in future games when bows and such have been phased out.

Yeah! Give me Western RPG. Playing through Hard West... disappointed. Could have been so much more.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1304 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That would be balance breaking.

Revolvers are always overpowered in games... the only difference would be magazine clip but even then causing unbalance.

KDubya

KDubya

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1300 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Revolvers are always overpowered in games... the only difference would be magazine clip but even then causing unbalance.

There is no such thing as a 'magazine clip'.

There are magazines which are what AK47, AR15, Glock pistols, and other weapons use. And then there are clips like what the Garand battle rifle from WW2 used.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7963 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Or we can go and watch Demolition Ranch. :|

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1304 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There is no such thing as a 'magazine clip'.

There are magazines which are what AK47, AR15, Glock pistols, and other weapons use. And then there are clips like what the Garand battle rifle from WW2 used.
Yes, my mind spaces out as I was just waking up. I know how the revolver chamber works but the fact remains the same. The revolvers have been overpowered in virtually every game they've been in with overpowered stats, which was the point - not the other magazine vs ammo topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users