Companions and multiclassing

CENIC

I was under the impression when multiclassing was announced that we would be free to multiclass our companions as well.

Obviously... that has since been refuted.

Edited by CENIC

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

I think Tekehu will be Druid, Chanter, or whatever the combination of Druid/Chanter is.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'm really disappointed with this restriction. I'm not sure what is Obsidian thinking. I'm fine with the main class to be remained for example Eder. His first class must be Fighter or Rogue. But then now he can only be Fighter or Rogue or Swashbuckler really makes no sense. 

• Like 1

I'm sure lots of players would be grateful for being able to multiclass Edér into a ranger so he could have a pet.

I'd love to multiclass him as a Priest of Eothas myself.

That was also one of my considerations.

But for all we know his backstory in PoE2 is about letting go of Eothas.

It would be cool if that was an option for him but was dependent on you choosing the ending in PoE where he joined the underground Eothas sect.

• Like 1

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Aww I just read this too. I would love to be able to just pick one class of theirs and mc it with any other class. I can understand from a story point of view why that's not possible though. Wouldn't make sense in the story for Eder to be a cipher suddenly or something like that. I just want to experience more of the different subclasses outside of my own character.

Not a big concern for me personally, as I will stick to classes that make sense of character anyway. However, there is no denying that having freedom to multiclass companions as you wish brings more posibilities and replayibility. It would be nice if they find time to figure out technical issues before launch and bring the original system back. As it is not, I am not terribly disappointed.

As to the original poster - lets test beta hard so there won't have really bad builds. I don't believe there will be many special subclasses for companions. Pallegina is one, depending on PoE1 ending but I expect most of them to have generic subclasses. I am also confident that with this limited system Obsidian will put some thoughts into how to multiclass companions so players have a decent choice, not to much overlap in roles and they all are playable.

It would be cool if that was an option for him but was dependent on you choosing the ending in PoE where he joined the underground Eothas sect.

This is a really good idea. I mean, presumably they're already doing specific character decisions for other characters (whether Pallegina's a Five Suns or Kind Wayfarer), so letting Eder be a Fighter/Priest of Eothas if he joined the Night Market makes a lot of sense.

• Like 3

This is a really good idea. I mean, presumably they're already doing specific character decisions for other characters (whether Pallegina's a Five Suns or Kind Wayfarer), so letting Eder be a Fighter/Priest of Eothas if he joined the Night Market makes a lot of sense.

I hadn't even thought of that. I was only planning on doing it if he did anyway, but it'd be a cool touch if it worked that way (assuming we don't simply get universal multiclassing options for companions of course).

• Like 1

I know it was announced, but I'm not sure how Serafen could be a single class barbarian when being a cipher was integral to his backstory.

From fig update 13:

During those years, he discovered his talents as a cipher and used them to lure his masters' ship into the path of the Príncipi. Impressed, the pirates offered him a position as one of their infamous "ship hunters,"

You can MAKE companions from scratch for replay factor, or even 1 or 2 for your first run through...

difference in nomenclature and content.

companions = most story integration

sidekicks = limited story integration --party banter and a single quest

hierlings = no story integration

if you want the companions and their story aspects, you will not be able to mold them like sculptor's clay. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)