Politics Thread: 13 Ghosts

Blarghagh

next thing he's gonna call Rouhani Aladdin

Not insulting enough. Sure, the fact that the name is of Arabic origin will tick them off, but his namecalling mainly sound like either something that would come out of an elementary school playground or mobster nicknames.

The fact that he hasn't yet created one for Rouhani is certainly curious. Then again, his focus has been on North Korea and Rouhani hasn't done anything to really piss off Trump or challenge his ego yet. He really shouldn't be doing that anyway in the first place as its beneath the dignity of the office.

Edited by smjjames

Khamanei would be a better target than Rouhani. I suspect Trump doesn't know who either is though, which might be a good thing. He'd probably end up fatwa'ed inside a week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-pocahontas-elizabeth-warren-native-americans-slur-silence-comments-latest-a8079071.html

Trump holds a ceremony for the Navajo code talkers in front of painting of Andrew Jackson and makes a Pocahontas joke during it.

That reminds me of when ex Brit Foreign Secretary Robin Cook (otherwise a thoroughly decent bloke) decided to hold a meeting with the Irish Prime Minister in front of a portrait of Oliver Cromwell- who infamously slaughtered tens of thousands of Irish.

And for all we know, Trump might interpret a fatwa as a declaration of war. Although, I guess if it's worded in a way as to actually be a real threat, it could count as a declaration of war causus belli. Khomeini hates the US with a passion, but he isn't stupid and, unlike Trump, is actually a skilled politician.

next thing he's gonna call Rouhani Aladdin

Not insulting enough. Sure, the fact that the name is of Arabic origin will tick them off, but his namecalling mainly sound like either something that would come out of an elementary school playground or mobster nicknames.

The fact that he hasn't yet created one for Rouhani is certainly curious. Then again, his focus has been on North Korea and Rouhani hasn't done anything to really piss off Trump or challenge his ego yet. He really shouldn't be doing that anyway in the first place as its beneath the dignity of the office.

The hilarious (and also tragic, but who can tell the difference these days?) thing about Trump and North Korea is that "Rocket Man" is precisely what Kim *wants* to be known for.  Trump thinks he's coined a clever insult, while Kim grins broadly and everybody on the U.S. side with any knowledge of the situation facepalms. 

Edited by Enoch

Warren is still pretending to be native? If she gets joked on for the rest of her life it is completely deserving and 100% her fault.

Regardless of whether she is being disingenuous about it (I think she is), using a racial slur to describe her, even as a joke, is not ok. That Trumpelthinskin decided to use that racial slur during a meeting with the Navajo is indefensible.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Warren is still pretending to be native? If she gets joked on for the rest of her life it is completely deserving and 100% her fault.

Regardless of whether she is being disingenuous about it (I think she is), using a racial slur to describe her, even as a joke, is not ok. That Trumpelthinskin decided to use that racial slur during a meeting with the Navajo is indefensible.

If Elizabeth Warren self-identifies herself as having some Native American ancestry, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Just because we don't necessarily see it doesn't mean it's not there. The actor who played Zach from Saved By the Bell is a quarter Indonesian -- he doesn't necessarily look it. A childhood friend of mine who has pale skin, red hair, and green eyes claimed he was black. Didn't believe him until I met his parents. Mom was a ginger but his dad was definitely black.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

If Elizabeth Warren self-identifies herself as having some Native American ancestry, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Just because we don't necessarily see it doesn't mean it's not there. The actor who played Zach from Saved By the Bell is a quarter Indonesian -- he doesn't necessarily look it. A childhood friend of mine who has pale skin, red hair, and green eyes claimed he was black. Didn't believe him until I met his parents. Mom was a ginger but his dad was definitely black.

Except she was publicly debunked by the New England Historic Genealogical Society and the Oklahoma Historical Society. She lied to the AALS back in the '80s to help with finding a job, Then the Boston Herald found out, ran the story and she was obligated to stick with her lie.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

BREAKING NEWS: DONALD TRUMP SAID SOMETHING CRASS AND MEANLY SARCASTIC IN A NEWS CONFERENCE! DETAILS AT 11!

IN OTHER NEWS THE SUN ROSE TODAY!

IIRC it was Scott Brown who tagged her with the nickname Pocahontas in the 2012 Senate Campaign in MA. It's a pretty low class schoolyard thing to do, tagging someone with an unflattering nickname.

But as Sharp One and others pointed out, she's hardly blameless for it.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Double post

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-pocahontas-elizabeth-warren-native-americans-slur-silence-comments-latest-a8079071.html

Trump holds a ceremony for the Navajo code talkers in front of painting of Andrew Jackson and makes a Pocahontas joke during it.

He was referring to Sen. Warren with that, and yeah, I facepalmed and shook my head right there and then. Didn't even notice the Andrew Jackson painting earlier though, which is a heck of a blunder (the having the painting there is the blunder, that is).
Oh, the horror...

Sen. Warren is 100% white and she wanted to score sympathy points. Calling her Pocahontas is a natural reaction of anyone with a sense of humor. Besides Randy Marsh did the claim better that her.

The painting meltdown is even funnier. The only blunder would be to cover it or taking it down to "not offend" anyone. Rewriting history is not in anyones best interest.

Trump 2020!

Thing all Trump's people are not answering in this defense is why Trump even mentioned her as she was not at the event or had said anything prior. I guess Trump has a mental problem ? Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why would anyone made a joke when talking to Indians that there is a person claiming to be an Indian in their workplace.

I smell a mystery here.

Trump 2020!

Well, that's the question. Bringing up Rachel Dolezal when meeting a black person would be seen as pretty random in normal circumstances. I guess non sequitur is logic these days.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Are you kidding? That was the number one topic with my black business associates a while back.

Wow, I completely misread this. I had to reread it twice before I realized you didn't say it was the number one topic with your black business associates while black.

Maybe I need to get my eyes checked. Whoohoo, European healthcare!

Edited by TrueNeutral

Are you kidding? That was the number one topic with my black business associates a while back. Heck, they are the reason I heard about her in the first place.

Trump 2020!

No, not kidding. Should have not said bringing up, but bringing up in the middle of another point, to be clear (is a non sequitur remark). Would be interesting to hear an explanation of why he decided to bring up Warren, though.

OK, let's work this out. Trump made a "funny" by calling a Caucasian woman who lied about being Cherokee the name of a Tsenacommacah woman, while talking to a group of Navajo while standing in front of a portrait of Andrew Jackson who is known for fighting the Seminoles (and British). This is what everyone is worked up and "offended" over right? First off, all of those Nations named are separate people with different languages and cultures. The only thing they all have in common is they all lived on the same continent much like Spain, Germany, & Italy are all on the same continent. So the only way this is "offensive" is if you lump all native american Nations into one lump. Which is often done especially by people trolling around for things to be offended by. And doing so is itself a little offensive I'd imagine. Are Italians and Germans the same thing because they are both white and both live in Europe? Put another way if Trump made a stupid joke about Christopher Columbus not really being Spanish while talking to a group of Romanians while standing in front of a picture of Edward II of England would that be offensive?

So what we're left with is Trump making a stupid comment that has no relevance to the occasion or people he was talking to. But if you are expecting anything OTHER than stupid comments to fall ot of his mouth by now you have not been paying attention.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

All indigenous peoples, nations, and ethnicities of North America are lumped together over a shared history of being confronted with a frontier nation that thrived on expansive large plot farming. Disrespecting one native peoples in a flippant manner has more to do with one just being disrespectful and flippant in general, and further about being callus to our nations history.

If you are black and become president, with no ancestral ties to forcing Native American's off their land, when you become president you take on the nation's guilt even if your inherited estate bares no lineage to those who forcefully settled land.

Quite simply, Trump does not represent the country, nor does he represent the position he was granted. He represents himself, the position is what he makes of it, and the country is what he pretends it to be.

• Like 1

Seems most are just worked up, if you want to describe it as such, at him saying stupid things. I suppose it is common to lump the Native tribes together when it comes to the US' treatment of them - some have forced migration (got a laugh as this is also referred to as 'population transfer') as one thing in common.