Politics Episode 7: Remake of Episode 4

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-hotel-received-270-000-from-lobbying-campaign-tied-to-saudis-1496700739

President Donald Trump’s Washington hotel received roughly $270,000 in payments linked to Saudi Arabia as part of a lobbying campaign by the Gulf kingdom against a controversial piece of terrorism legislation last year.

The payments—for catering, lodging and parking—were disclosed by the public relations firm MSLGroup last week in paperwork filed with the Justice Department documenting foreign lobbying work on behalf of Saudi Arabia and other clients.

As part of a lobbying effort against the bipartisan Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act, or JASTA, Saudi Arabia’s Washington lobbyists and consultants spent approximately $190,000 on lodging, $78,000 on catering, and $1,600 on parking at the Trump International Hotel. The Daily Caller website first reported on the payments.

Mr. Trump last month made Saudi Arabia the first stop of his first international trip as president, and described the country as a key ally in the war on terror and an important partner in bringing peace and stability to the Middle East.

Saudi Arabia has been lobbying against JASTA, a law that was passed by Congress over former President Barack Obama’s veto. It allowed Americans to sue foreign governments over terrorists attacks.

The payments to the Trump Hotel were made by one of MSLGroup’s subcontractors and reimbursed by the Saudi government, according to Michael Petruzzello, an MSLGroup executive. They were part of a lobbying campaign bringing American military veterans to Capitol Hill to advocate against JASTA, he said.

All the hotel spending took place between Nov. 2016 and Feb. 2017, according to Mr. Petruzzello. Most of the payments to the hotel were made before Mr. Trump was officially sworn in as president, but some were in late January and early February—after Mr. Trump became president.

Survivors and families of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks have been pushing for the law so that a lawsuit can proceed against Saudi Arabia for any alleged role in the attacks. The kingdom has denied any involvement and U.S. officials have backed that position.

Ethics officials have raised questions about foreign government payments to the Trump Organization. Watchdog groups say the Trump Organization’s business with foreign entities, in particular governments that book rooms or events or other business at the Trump International Hotel near the White House, risks violating a constitutional provision that bars federal officers from accepting payments or gifts from foreign countries without Congress’s consent.

So Saudi was smart enough not to blow their whole load on donations to Clinton's presidential campaign and saved some for Trump.

So basically either Clinton or Trump, we would be where we are now....except in a war with Russia.

"Top Secret NSA Report Details Russian Hacking Effort Days Before 2016 Election"

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Sbo500AyldgJ:https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/top-secret-nsa-report-details-russian-hacking-effort-days-before-2016-election/+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Apparently, the lady who leaked this was arrested about an hour after it was leaked.

(e): Also, in other news, CSPAN, FOX, CNN, CBS, ABC, and NBC will all be airing the Comey testimony live this Thursday.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/05/531558813/trumps-latest-tweets-on-travel-ban-could-raise-new-legal-hurdles

look at what trump left on his desk this morning. another steamy pile o' wtf.

*shrug*

attempting to come up with reasonable explanations for trump impulse control blunders is becoming increasing difficult.  the only explanation we got is if trump were convinced the travel ban is doomed, it would be better to face inevitable defeat with a show o' strength. core constituents appear ok with trump ineffectiveness as long as he continues to act tough and talk big.  so IF the executive order is a lost cause, it would be better for trump to defend vigorous and then blame Court for failure.  is no other reasonable explanation for the latest trumpism.

HA! Good Fun!

I think Trump's priority is somehow retaining the votes he won in 2016 for the election in 2020 (should he make it that far). Though I'm hesitant to use the tired phrase "if trends hold" since lots can happen in 42 months (see the introductory portion of David Frum's article in the Atlantic for the picture of "things that may be") it looks increasingly unlikely that those who didn't vote for him in 2016 will be swayed given his performance thus far short of Democrat primary voters dropping the ball for their nominee (I remain convinced that in spite of Sanders having some modicum of charisma and having a message that resonated with voters that he would have lost even harder to Trump).

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I wonder if the Democrats will actually put forth a "good" candidate next election. If so I might vote Democrat.

Also I BETTER see the same hostile Nick picking with the same president whoever the **** it is, or we all biased as ****.

Even if they did they will still be Democrats. They will still be the party of no free speech, no private property rights, censoring the internet. They will still try to take guns away from law abiding citizens, and tax everything in sight to fund a federal government that ignores our constitution and grinds our state and local governments into the dirt. The biggest problem is even if one of the two parties runs a great candidate, voting for that candidate empowers all the worst aspects of that party. They way to figure out which side you're on is to look at the worst part of all the political factions and figure out what the country would look like if they suddenly got everything they wanted. Find out who's utopia you'd hate the least and vote for them.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This one bears watching. This is right in Roberts & Sotomayor's wheelhouse: http://reason.com/blog/2017/06/05/scotus-agrees-to-hear-significant-4th-am

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I wonder if the Democrats will actually put forth a "good" candidate next election. If so I might vote Democrat.

Also I BETTER see the same hostile Nick picking with the same president whoever the **** it is, or we all biased as ****.

Ha-ha-ha-ha. The media is the propaganda arm of the Democratic National Committee.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

debbie wasserman schultz is no doubt wanting restitution.  have her own "propaganda arm" public eviscerate her last year and then go after the dnc as a whole  almost immediate after hillary wins the nomination? folks in the media (whatever the hell is the media, 'cause it clear don't include fox, breitbart and many other organizations) clear didn't get the memo... or their check.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

doesn't change the fact the media were pretty ruthless as they went after debbie wasserman schultz and the dnc itself.  sure, much o' the media has a liberal slant, but the notion o' the media working as a propaganda arm for the dnc is utter nonsense and clear refuted by history both recent and long term.

and let's not be hypocritical, eh? from the politics 2016/2017 threads it is clear possible for folks to defend grade A morons w/o any sense o' shame or regret. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Once again metaphor is lost on you. Of course I didn't mean to say the MSM is literally employed by the DNC, just that they have a left-wing agenda perfectly in-tune with the Democrat party. That doesn't mean they're all Hillary supporters or Sanders supporters, just that they supported one or the other, and would prefer either to any Republican.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Once again metaphor is lost on you. Of course I didn't mean to say the MSM is literally employed by the DNC, just that they have a left-wing agenda perfectly in-tune with the Democrat party. That doesn't mean they're all Hillary supporters or Sanders supporters, just that they supported one or the other, and would prefer either to any Republican.

am not sure you understand metaphor.  perhaps you intended hyperbole?

again, the media includes breitbart and fox.  the media, including more liberal sources, clear didn't have an agenda in-tune with the democratic party or hillary or the DNC (which were your specific example) when those liberal media sources were ruthlessly attacking the dnc and its leadership during an election year.  clearly the agenda weren't "in-tune."

suggest many major media sources tend to be liberal would be pointless as is not something any would deny.  suggest those liberal media sources would have a tendency to advocate for liberal candidates would also be a kinda pointless observation as is axiomatic.

"The media is the propaganda arm of the Democratic National Committee."

utter nonsense and is far different than simple recognition o' general alignment o' interests.  hyperbolic nonsense.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

I used "metaphor" in a more general sense since you usually have trouble distinguishing metaphorical meaning from literal. https://www.quora.com/Can-a-metaphor-be-a-hyperbole-too

Edit: I guess it's a lot easier to get a top secret clearance than I would've thought: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/06/06/total-vetting-fail-leftwing-snowden-fan-girl-reality-winner-gets-access-to-our-nsa-secrets/

NSA must be too busy spying on Trump to worry about such things.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

Politically not commenting USA politics since I live in Europe, but I am not happy with Merkel EU politics at all. Hopefully Shulz will replace Merkel in upcoming German elections. What has that to do with Finland my country? Germany holds much power indeed within EU. Shulz party is like "left middle", but the important thing is that Shulz has realistic chance to replace Merkel as Germany leader and Shulz party wants clearly different immigrant policy then what Merkel wants.

Now Merkel has very long history as leader and she might get reelected again. Who wins the German elections remains to be seen. Merkel earlier years have been good, but this recent mandate as leader have been a fiasco to Europe. You can blame Brexit on Merkel politics.

Edited by Terminator

I used "metaphor" in a more general sense since you usually have trouble distinguishing metaphorical meaning from literal. https://www.quora.com/Can-a-metaphor-be-a-hyperbole-too

you don't understand what you are posting.  you weren't attempting to ridicule the analogy with an exaggeration.  in the present exchange, Gromnir woulda' been the one who coulda' used as metaphor 'cause it woulda clear been sardonic.  

*shrug*

you see word hyperbole and metaphor as being possible to use simultaneous and then again complete ignored how you actual used.  

the internet is so damned dangerous.  people frequent post links to articles without reading.  even worse, folks make a cursory read o' a subject and thinks they have actual knowledge.  baffling.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

Are you posting drunk?

again, you have revered 'cause such should be our line.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Politically not commenting USA politics since I live in Europe, but I am not happy with Merkel EU politics at all. Hopefully Shulz will replace Merkel in upcoming German elections. What has that to do with Finland my country? Germany holds much power indeed within EU. Shulz party is like "left middle", but the important thing is that Shulz has realistic chance to replace Merkel as Germany leader and Shulz party wants clearly different immigrant policy then what Merkel wants.

Now Merkel has very long history as leader and she might get reelected again. Who wins the German elections remains to be seen. Merkel earlier years have been good, but this recent mandate as leader have been a fiasco to Europe. You can blame Brexit on Merkel politics.

Mostly agreement. To blame Brexit solely on Merkel is a bit harsh though. But her inability to find a European solution for the refugee crisis and her disastrous policies concerning Greece indeed weigh heavy. Although specifically concerning Brexit, I'd say there are more causes to it. Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

We ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ.  Please discontinue the speculative discussions of other posters status (health, mind, body, etc.) in this thread and stick to the topic.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Are you posting drunk?

again, you have revered 'cause such should be our line.  

HA! Good Fun!

Slurring speech too.

if in the present disagreement with wod, Gromnir suggests, "clearly The Media is nothing more than the propaganda arm of the Democratic National Committee," folks is clear understanding it is used as humorous exaggeration. maybe we add an *insert eye-roll here* for folks. is sardonic.  this is the way intended hyperbolic metaphor is 'posed to be utilized. 

were wod attempting to poke fun at the notion o' the dnc and The Media being aligned? no. wod trying to have both ways.  makes an initial ridiculous observation which he attempts to defend.  when defense proves untenable, then he wants to claim exaggeration... for dramatic effect? attempts to validate with poorly understood literary technique.

as to gifted characterization, am indeed glad municipalities and states and corporate entities is stepping up to fill the void.  even so, the paris agreement were asking individual nations to make voluntary reductions o' carbon emissions.  if the tea tax (which ironic lowered the cost o' tea) were  left entirely up to the 13 colonies to set whatever amount they felt appropriate, am doubting folks woulda' seen Georgie as being in anybody's face. is what Paris Agreement does.

HA! Good Fun!

ps edited out a rather tame twilight zone reference after seeing amentep remarks. apologies nonetheless.

Edited by Gromnir