Ah. In my experience it's always been used to describe something formal so to speak, so hiring, renting, cops, etc.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, ignoring the more formal definition of racism simply being "discriminating between races", I wouldn't say racial slurs are always racist...but it seems like they sometimes are, and for that specific scenario of racial slurs being hurled your way for no good reason and in an insulting fashion, it seems like it should qualify...but maybe it shouldn't. I'm not totally sure.

Are you not sure like I am because of a double standard in who is able to use the slurs?

I mean we did just have a talk about someone who got fired because of "gorilla" and was labeled racist because it was taken in a way that means to belittle said person because of color, but honky, cracker, etc are also used to belittle someone because of being white but it's okay?

Is this why we have such an issue with race because we can't agree to make everyone follow the same rules across the board?

As Louis C.K. pointed out, the generic white racial slurs are pretty weak sauce. Although there are plenty of specific slurs for white ethnic groups that will get you in trouble nearly as much as the ones used for minorities. I'm thinking of a few terrible Italian ones, but I'd rather not type them out.

As Louis C.K. pointed out, the generic white racial slurs are pretty weak sauce. Although there are plenty of specific slurs for white ethnic groups that will get you in trouble nearly as much as the ones used for minorities. I'm thinking of a few terrible Italian ones, but I'd rather not type them out.

oh cmon, spit it out

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Well, ignoring the more formal definition of racism simply being "discriminating between races", I wouldn't say racial slurs are always racist...but it seems like they sometimes are, and for that specific scenario of racial slurs being hurled your way for no good reason and in an insulting fashion, it seems like it should qualify...but maybe it shouldn't. I'm not totally sure.

Are you not sure like I am because of a double standard in who is able to use the slurs?

I mean we did just have a talk about someone who got fired because of "gorilla" and was labeled racist because it was taken in a way that means to belittle said person because of color, but honky, cracker, etc are also used to belittle someone because of being white but it's okay?

Is this why we have such an issue with race because we can't agree to make everyone follow the same rules across the board?

Well, I'd say that's more of an issue of, as you just said, a double standard, which doesn't really factor into the issue in my mind, per se. Anyone who lightly* uses racial slurs while being offended at others doing the same is just a bit of a hypocrite, that's all. Really, my problem is...you know, I'm not even sure, which I guess kind of sums up how I feel about most political issues, to be honest, which is why I guess I am pretty darned centrist...

*Note the "lightly". Not every usage of a racial slur is going to be the same, and because of historical connotations (as well as their original meaning when they were coined), some are automatically interpreted as being worse than others, but still, it should be pretty obvious when a racial slur is actually being used in a negative manner vs. when it's being used lightly.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I know the ones I used was weak sauce cept cracker, they were used as examples. The thing is u can flip the word and instead of "damn there's a bunch of Whitey's in here" is acceptable, but "damn there's a bunch of darkeys in here" is not acceptable right?

That's what makes it confusing because it seems like a double standard.

Er, where is it acceptable to say whitey or cracker? I imagine you'd get into a lot of trouble at work for that :p

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Try re-reading what you're quoting, because you're misinterpreting what you're reading as your 'guess' is way off.

Also, I think you should search the forums for how many times I've used the bolded word. You'll discover that your accusations are unfounded.

Then you have my apologies. I am definitely struggling to understand the intent behind the last couple threads you have started.

Edited by Hurlshot

I don't think it'd be appropriate to say at most (professional) workplaces, but...you know, I hate to make this example, but it actually has happened several times to me...just random black guys* calling you "cracker" in an informal setting (e.g. on a bus or in a bar or in the streets) is really not that unusual. I don't really mind that much, because it's obviously not meant in an explicitly racist way - more of just a "hello white guy"-type way - but you know, you don't really have an equivalent to call them in return that most people wouldn't find very offensive. I generally just prefer the more friendly "dude" or "man", personally, and really, I think people would be better off if they just stuck to less racially-charged terms in general...

*...And a couple of white guys of seemingly...er...lower socioeconomic status, too, I suppose.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

The context is different though, I mean if you have the memory of being lynched by the clan. That's part of the context of (I can't believe 

I know the ones I used was weak sauce cept cracker, they were used as examples. The thing is u can flip the word and instead of "damn there's a bunch of Whitey's in here" is acceptable, but "damn there's a bunch of darkeys in here" is not acceptable right?

There is historical context, specifically the cultural memory of being lynched, repression and so on. That's why whitey is so anemic. There aren't really those types of memories associated with it. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Sure, there is a double standard, but that is rooted in a long history of bigotry and systematic discrimination in the US. The reason we have all these special interest groups for minorities, or stations like BET and LOGO, is because these are groups which have been historically under-represented, mis-characterized, or worse.

edit: Gorgon beat me to it :p

Sure, there is a double standard, but that is rooted in a long history of bigotry and systematic discrimination in the US. The reason we have all these special interest groups for minorities, or stations like BET and LOGO, is because these are groups which have been historically under-represented, mis-characterized, or worse.

and we are at start of again, so when/how long it will it take to not be an issue anymore?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

and we are at start of again, so when/how long it will it take to not be an issue anymore?
Until an truly egalitarian society is established. So probably not anytime soon ;)

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Until an truly egalitarian society is established. So probably not anytime soon ;)

more like never..

more like never..
I feel like when you would've asked a French farmer in the 16th century wether there would ever be any changes about the fundamental way the feudal society functioned, he would've said "never"

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

We aren't that far removed from Brown v. Board of Education and the Civil Rights of 1964, so I'd imagine we have a ways to go. Of course you also need economic progress within minority communities to help pave the path.

We've also got a generation of young people that have just had the first Black president. Regardless of the job he did, that is a tremendous cultural shift. It will be interesting to see how this next generation handles that. Much like the Civil Rights movement of the 60's, I think you are going to get some difficult growing pains (which is seems like we are well on the way into that) followed by a period of progress.

Heh, it's a complicated issue, and I'm really just spitballing here. :p 

• Like 1

well i am lucky that I live in homogeneous country and don't have to deal with that crap than

well i am lucky that I live in homogeneous country and don't have to deal with that crap than

It's a big country, there are plenty of homogeneous areas.

But the best restaurant choices are in the melting pots of diversity.  :p

Yeah, I recently moved to a small town in the very northern midwest recently. Absolutely sucks for food - no Mexican or Thai or Vietnamese or Cambodian or Philippine or even Indian or pretty much anything else worth a crap. ...Yes, I eat mostly Asian cuisine. It's even pretty hard to just get INGREDIENTS like thai or holy basil (e: or coconut milk or fish sauce...I mean, come on you guys) to cook with up here...it's quite intolerable.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Yeah, I recently moved to a small town in the very northern midwest recently. Absolutely sucks for food - no Mexican or Thai or Vietnamese or Cambodian or Philippine or even Indian or pretty much anything else worth a crap. ...Yes, I eat mostly Asian cuisine. It's even pretty hard to just get INGREDIENTS like thai or holy basil (e: or coconut milk or fish sauce...I mean, come on you guys) to cook with up here...it's quite intolerable.

that must be horrifying, how could someone live like that... on other hand how are crime rates around? :)

Literally nonexistent. No joke - the only crime that happens here is from people just traveling through. So that's nice...but still, the FOOD! I have to drive like an hour away to get any decent grub!

...and I HATE driving.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Bit boring, though.

Bit boring, though.

Why?

Bit boring, though.

Why?

Is nice being around different people now and then.  Well...maybe not the ginos.