Games You Would Like to See as an Obsidian Isometric Game?

DaCobbler

I want them to make a Cyberpunk/Sci-fi/Space opera themed isometric crpg with turned based combat similar to that of Fallout 1/2 but with more control over your party members. I say 'party members' instead of 'squad mates' because I want it to be more like Fallout 2, Shadowrun Returns and less like Fallout Tactics, XCOM or Jagged Alliance. ;)

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Ha, I'd like to see almost any RPG remade as an isometric game. They just feel so much smoother than clunky 3D 1st person games (or is it just me?)

Depends on the game. Some worlds I'd rather explore in first person, and in others it doesn't really matter. There's plenty of unresponsive controls in isometric games also.

That probably sounds very heretic to some, but I'd really love to see a FIRST PERSON Arcanum spin-off by Obsidian in Bethesdas Engine. :>

All the modding possibilities and cool stuff that could be done in that setting...

But on topic, I don't think there is any first person game that I need to see in top down perspective. Not even New Vegas.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

That probably sounds very heretic to some, but I'd really love to see a FIRST PERSON Arcanum spin-off by Obsidian in Bethesdas Engine. :>

All the modding possibilities and cool stuff that could be done in that setting...

But on topic, I don't think there is any first person game that I need to see in top down perspective. Not even New Vegas.

Given the trajectory of Bethesda RPGs, they would likely strip down the character creation mechanics, which was one of the things Arcanum was actually lauded for.

As for myself, my idea for a RTwP RPG featuring Eldar Harlequins still stands.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Well, of course you're free to your heretic, blasphemous opinions ;) But I think one problem with first person games, is that they don't really work for parties. It's just hard to control companions from a first person perspective. I think you could make Arcanum's world 3D, but it would be a solo adventure.

What's your opinion on Skyrim and Fallout 4?

I feel like Skyrim is below average out of box but decent ehen modded. I feel like Fallout 4 is a de-evolution in the rpg genre - I do love the graphics of Fallout 4 out of box though. Every time I show my screenshots to console gamers on Facebook they say "PC is cool cause you can mod" but surprisingly I don't use any mods for Fallout 4. Just the greatness of an 860m gtx which can max out everything at 30fps lol

There's alot I loved about Fallout 4 but alot more I hated. Let me just start by saying that Fallout 4 is the Fallout 3 I wanted as far as engine/graphics go and accessibility. However, the crafting and tower defense stuff ruined it for me. I thought it made the game too unfocused, messy and confused.... like it's having a bit of a personality crisis. Fallout Minecraft or something lol I also hated that the game forced you to be the good guy and the dlc forced you to be the bad. That was weird and didn't feel natural - probably because it tricked players into thinking that they had a choice.

Maybe it's just me.

post-173997-0-95254400-1490850023_thumb.jpg

^My female character :D

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Skyrim is ok for what it is. Wouldnt call it a good rpg, though. Certainly better than Oblivion, still worse than Morrowind lore-wise. Fallout 4 is pure crap as it just poops on what Fallout is.. more than Fo3 did. I am too much a Fallout fanboy to be able to see any good in it.

But that's why I've added Obsidian made, with Bethesda engine. From a pure gamer technical point of view (graphics, performance, woo) it ain't the best thing ever, but the moddability is just untopped. Also New Vegas shows that good things can get out of it.. even with party members, even if rather limited.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Maybe I'm partial because I currently play Alpha Protocol and enjoy it again years after the first time, but I would like to have another espionage RPG (sadly not another Mike Thorton story but still). I had thought about this (isometric spy RPG) when Invisible Inc released months ago, and after playing Alpha Protocol once more, I truly think there isn't enough spy RPG (especially Obsidian ones :p) !

Like others, I'd like a XIXth century game or (and?) another historical (or history-inspired) RPG.

Since the Oasis has been cut from Tides of Numenera, and since it reminded a Leto-II's Arrakeen at first glance during the Kickstarter campaign, I definitely would love to see a proper Dune RPG. One can dream!

Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol, and other modern-day/futuristic games would be quite interesting if done X-COM style.  Commanding squads, using cover as you advance forwards, or entering ducts...  Final Fantasy 7 could also work if done right.  I might actually enjoy playing Knights of the Old Republic as well if they did it isometric.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I've always wanted a good Pirate rpg. It seems like PoE2 is going in that direction, so that's a good thing I guess, but on the other hand I don't want PoE to go overboard (lol) with the pirate stuff, so it probably won't be the pirate rpg I'm hoping for.

Other than that, I'd really love some kind of Wild West / Steampunk / Fantasy (no magic) hybrid. There's something about Orc cowboys that appeals to me for some reason. Would have to be turn-based.

Oh yeah, and any kind of rpg set in New Orleans. Preferably a Fallout game (imagine the soundtrack!), failing that a Vampire game.

Edit: come to think of it, you asked for isometric rpg's and I think this last one would fit better as first person.

Edited by Pope

Some sort of Medieval noir game, no magic or monsters.

But really if they could just make a Dark Heresy game that's all I would want.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra