What's so Funny?

rjshae

17884055_1302457643171555_43355192215407

my brother can't get subtle things like this. he knows all he needs to get the joke but until i pointed it out, he couldn't make the connection.

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I've never seen the appeal of TV Tropes, to be honest.

I think it's part and parcel of the humour in which they point out things you'll recognise in so many books and shows you watch.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

But most of it is either lame, a gross simplification or congressional overreach.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I like TV Tropes a lot, I enjoy it in the way it pokes fun at certain archetypes and clichés and finds interesting trends between films, videogames or TV series. That said, it has to be taken with a grain of salt and I do find basing one's criticisms on the amount of clichés in a film or the likes to be on par with plot holes, inaccuracies and continuity errors with regards to most irrelevant observations for discussing quality. Worse, it's worrying to see the number of people who get caught up in such pointless details to the point it defines their overall viewing/playing experience. Granted, there are exceptions where these things may be intrusive or detrimental, but usually they define the term 'nitpicking'.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

TvTropes used to be good, now it's prettybad. I'm saddened by their continual stricter rules on anything interesting, while at the same time their complete loss of control over fiction speculation.

Like, you can't refer to something being 'dark' without some flippant jerkwad nazi editor you out because 'dark' is subjective to your screen setting or something and you should keep it in the 'your mileage may vary' opinionated section. More informal than the other wiki my hairy butthole.

But then at the same time, their most interesting section is completely overrun by idiocy. WildMassGuessing used to be a place where you could find interesting theories on current shows. Now all you find is 'Walter White is a Time Lord' or 'Slender Man createdthe Marvel Universe'.

The **** went wrong, TvTropes?

• Like 2

Like, you can't refer to something being 'dark' without some flippant jerkwad nazi editor you out because 'dark' is subjective to your screen setting or something and you should keep it in the 'your mileage may vary' opinionated section. More informal than the other wiki my hairy butthole.

Seems like they do a pretty ****ty job at it too, because I've seen a number of unabashedly opinionated statements amidst the examples for each article. A trend I recall in the site for example is to refer to Mike Patton in ridiculously hyperbolic manners - the only time I ever felt the need to edit the page was precisely to eliminate some of the bullcrap claims made about him. Labelling something as "dark" may be subjective, but it's a heck of a lot more acceptable in these contexts than calling someone "the greatest".

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I've never seen the appeal of TV Tropes, to be honest.

I've hated TV Tropes ever since an aspiring writer kept using their terms to explain their story. It just feels cynical to try to boil down everything to a formula, even the "Hero of a Thousand Faces" manages to do that without calling out and ruining good stories. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

A joke:

1st lesson biology: The human is slave to his hormones

2nd lesson social studies: The human slave is to society

3rd lesson philosophy: The human is free

4th lesson PE: Sports is is the synthesis

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows