When Piers Morgan is the voice of reason....

Valsuelm

Whom?

Some "journalist" from the Sun, I believe. Or maybe its high class cousin, the Mail, I forget which.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not a fan of Bill Maher, but he is right about the murder rate. Portraying as the highest spike in crime since 1971 is a mischaracterization. What it really shows is that the plummeting crime rates of the last few decades may be leveling out.

edit: At the same time, Pier Morgan is the only one speaking any sense when it comes to handling Trump. :p

Edited by Hurlshot

I like Piers Morgan but it was misplaced to think he could fix gun control in the USA  as a foreigner 

Its much better to lecture Americans on how to fix  their perceived social, economic and political  issues from the safety of a  gaming forum ....like Obsidian  :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Not really the point, any spike after 40 years of decreases is going to look big in comparison.

So trends over time is relevant, you say?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bill Maher can't into basic calculus.

...neither can Trump, for that matter, despite his constant assurances that he "comprehends better than almost anybody".

Talking about 2016 is silly because full data for 2016 isn't available yet, btw.

This reminded me of why I don't watch TV. People who are supposed to be funny just aren't, and people who very much aren't supposed to be are hysterical.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"The highest spike in crime rate since '71" Morgan says. Now I'm a bit myopic but based on the statistics from Maher's chart the spike from '91 was much, much higher than the one from 2015. Probably a manipulated chart though. *shrug*

Bill Maher can't into basic calculus.

...neither can Trump, for that matter, despite his constant assurances that he "comprehends better than almost anybody".

Talking about 2016 is silly because full data for 2016 isn't available yet, btw.

This reminded me of why I don't watch TV. People who are supposed to be funny just aren't, and people who very much aren't supposed to be are hysterical.

Did you actually watch the full video, or at least the second showing of the chart? All the talking about the crime statistics in the video regarding to 2016 is conjecture. Hence Morgan saying that 2016 is likely to have seen a similar spike. The rest as discussed in this thread is overinterpretation and confirmation bias.

Or maybe the use of alternative English. I've suspected for a while now that the English I was taught is not quite the same as the one spoken in the US and read here on this forum. :biggrin:

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

"The highest spike in crime rate since '71" Morgan says. Now I'm a bit myopic but based on the statistics from Maher's chart the spike from '91 was much, much higher than the one from 2015. Probably a manipulated chart though. *shrug*

Did you actually watch the full video, or at least the second showing of the chart? All the talking about the crime statistics in the video regarding to 2016 is conjecture. Hence Morgan saying that 2016 is likely to have seen a similar spike. The rest as discussed in this thread is overinterpretation and confirmation bias.

Yeah, the chart looks like it's manipulated... or maybe it's just garbage. Not surprising. From '90 to '91 murder and nonnegligent manslaughter went up from 9.4 to 9.8 (per 100k pops). From 2014 to 2015, it went from 4.4 to 4.9. EDIT: the chart is about "violent crime" which saw a 29 point increase in the first period, while for the second it just increased 11 points. So while murder/manslaughter increased more, violent crime overall increased less. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

It seems Trump can't tell the difference between local and global extrema, and Maher doesn't know what he's talking about when he proclaims the change to be an "aberration or blip".

Something something inflection points something something slopes

I did watch the video. btw. Hilarious how that idiot claims that hysteria "is working". Morgan's guess about 2016 seems to be right on the money judging from the preliminary data release, but it's obviously an argumentum ex culo, with a 50% chance of being right.

Sources:

https://ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/State/RunCrimeStatebyState.cfm

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/tables/table-1

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/preliminary-semiannual-uniform-crime-report-januaryjune-2016/tables/table-3

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Spike* not rate.

Murder rate is getting a lot better and no where near as high as it used to be but the increase that year has been at the highest.

TBH I find the spike is important but only if it continues to go up, otherwise it's forgettable next year if we still continuing to doing a helluva lot better than we have been.

Yeah, the chart looks like it's manipulated... or maybe it's just garbage. Not surprising. From '90 to '91 murder and nonnegligent manslaughter went up from 9.4 to 9.8 (per 100k pops). From 2014 to 2015, it went from 4.4 to 4.9. It seems Trump can't tell the difference between local and global extrema, and Maher doesn't know what he's talking about when he proclaims the change to be an "aberration or blip".

Something something inflection points something something slopes

I did watch the video. btw. Hilarious how that idiot claims that hysteria "is working". Morgan's guess about 2016 seems to be right on the money judging from the preliminary data release, but it's obviously an argumentum ex culo, with a 50% chance of being right.

Sources:

https://ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/State/RunCrimeStatebyState.cfm

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/tables/table-1

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/preliminary-semiannual-uniform-crime-report-januaryjune-2016/tables/table-3

The chart in the video is violent crime, not murder and nonnegligent manslaughter. The numbers from the table (second link) seem to roughly match up with the chart, as far as they go. Depends on what they were talking about anyway, but yes, neither Maher nor Morgan have any idea what they're talking about with regards to that chart.

The hysteria stuff was fun. I laughed. I though that was the point of these shows. Heh.

The chart in the video is violent crime, not murder and nonnegligent manslaughter.

Yeah, I caught that after I posted. However the bullet point before the chart is clearly about "murder". I'm going to discard the idea that they confused the two, and assume it was just a crafty maneuver to mislead. How very sly.

The chart in the video is violent crime, not murder and nonnegligent manslaughter.

Yeah, I caught that after I posted. However the bullet point before the chart is clearly about "murder". I'm going to discard the idea that they confused the two, and assume it was just a crafty maneuver to mislead. How very sly.

It certianly looks more impressive than a plot of the murder rate would have, so it is fairly safe to assume it was intentional.