The Funny Things Thread

Rosbjerg

Wow I had no idea the turnover was so high! I always thought the opposite, that you have the job till they wheel you out toes first.

I work for a small law firm and we've had several interns who were formerly teachers. Apparently they found paying student loans for law school preferable to teaching elementary school children.

Wow I had no idea the turnover was so high! I always thought the opposite, that you have the job till they wheel you out toes first.

I looked it up, seems that the recession in 2008 has helped the number quite a bit, so only 17.3 percent leave in the first 5 years.  When I started in 2003 it was close to 50%.  They've also improved new teacher support a lot since then, plus states are way more strict about having properly credentialed teachers in the classrooms.  We are still in a pretty massive shortage though.    

I looked it up, seems that the recession in 2008 has helped the number quite a bit, so only 17.3 percent leave in the first 5 years.  When I started in 2003 it was close to 50%.  They've also improved new teacher support a lot since then, plus states are way more strict about having properly credentialed teachers in the classrooms.  We are still in a pretty massive shortage though.    

teacher? way too much additional education for a job with long hours, mediocre pay and students who is...

well, when we think o' the typical American high school student (circa 2016) we cannot help but recall our time in paris, france.  in many parts o' france, we met hospitable and polite folks.  y'know, people... if a bit too fond o' smoking. in paris we encountered almost constant scorn and contempt which oscillated 'tween unspoken and overt.  teaching in the US, from our limited experience viewing real classrooms, is akin to being stuck in a room with obnoxious and sweaty parisians for nine months outta the year, without the benefits o' parisian food and art.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we got much sympathy for mediocre teachers.  sounds odd, no? good teachers, for the most part, seem to enjoy their job.  they got the classroom management aspect well-in-hand, and possess the ability to genuine teach extreme diverse groups o' students in a modern american classroom.  however, as with any profession, many teachers is mediocre.  being mediocre ain't a sin in most professions.  a significant % o' any folks in a profession is gonna be mediocre.  sadly, teachers got multiple classes every day, and each class is filled with dozens o' students.  so many living reminders, by word or action, o' mediocrity.  

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

tumblr_ofeynfVIr71qewacoo1_540.jpg[/img

is Gromnir the only guy who sees the mcdonald's fries and burger as misplaced?  am overthinking, but can't help but feel as if we missed something.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken