What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Trying to finish season 1 of Mr. Robot. It's a pretty bleak show. Everyone is either super depressed or super repulsive (or both!) It started out ok, but I'm not sure if I want to stick with it. I'm on episode 7.

It completly falls apart in the next episodes. I was pretty dissapointed and wish I'd ditched it around episode 6.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I did finish my binge watch of final season Person of Interest. It wandered around a few places and brought  that emotional chokehold in for the ending. ;)

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Trying to finish season 1 of Mr. Robot. It's a pretty bleak show. Everyone is either super depressed or super repulsive (or both!) It started out ok, but I'm not sure if I want to stick with it. I'm on episode 7.

It completly falls apart in the next episodes. I was pretty dissapointed and wish I'd ditched it around episode 6.

I've quite enjoyed the series, primarily for the character development and the plot twists. It's a very plausible portrayal of a mentally ill protagonist, which is a big part of what makes it confusing to follow at times. For me the story held together well, even if the main scenario is unlikely. Obviously it isn't for everybody.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I've quite enjoyed the series, primarily for the character development and the plot twists. It's a very plausible portrayal of a mentally ill protagonist, which is a big part of what makes it confusing to follow at times. For me the story held together well, even if the main scenario is unlikely. Obviously it isn't for everybody.

Very plausible? Only in so far as one believes the classical Hollywood portrayal of mental illness.

I've worked for years in psychiatry and I've never heard of or seen anything that even closely resembled the family or protagonist.

Also, in what way did the narrative hold together? Even when 'adjusting' for the 'unreliable narrator', it was painfully obvious that the writers had gone to the 'Lost' school of plotline coherence..

Fortune favors the bald.

I've worked for years in psychiatry and I've never heard of or seen anything that even closely resembled the family or protagonist.

Last time I checked you're still a moderator so I think that should be "I'm working in psychiatry".

Hold your head high. Be proud of what you do.

• Like 4

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Very plausible? Only in so far as one believes the classical Hollywood portrayal of mental illness.

Also, in what way did the narrative hold together? Even when 'adjusting' for the 'unreliable narrator', it was painfully obvious that the writers had gone to the 'Lost' school of plotline coherence..

Why does that matter in the slightest? It doesn't have to be plausible to a profession psychiatrist, only to a TV viewer with a lay persons knowledge of psychiatry. :p

It held together for myself and others I discussed it with. Sorry, I can't explain why it didn't for you.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Nearly done with another run of DS9 and since Psych is still not back on Netflix we'll probably do a TNG or TOS run next.

I think Lucifer is back soon and Lethal Weapon, Elementary, and Sherlock are already back.

Still can't force myself through more than an episode or two of Enterprise but I feel like I owe it to Trek to soldier on. Sad. Dunno why I have zero interest in it. I wish they'd make a new series following DS9, Voyager, and the last TNG movies instead of always going back in time

Still looking forward to the new show regardless

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Season 3 of Enterprise really picked up after the somewhat bland season 2,and season 4 was amazing

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The opening theme is just pure cringe though.

Obligatory:

I'm "that guy" whose favorite Trek show is actually Enterprise. Come at me bros

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I felt like Enterprise was just more of the same but then I was never a big Star Trek fan. By the time I started watching both TOS and Next Generation were already horribly dated to the point of being ridiculous camp, so everything else after being ridiculous hasn't been much of a deviation.

I recently got into a conversation with a friend about characters and interesting twists in tv shows, ended up discussing the old Highlander tv series and dang it, now I want to dig out the dvd's and do a massive binge watch...

It had some ups and downs. Some quite nice moments, and then others that made you go "what?"

I think in some ways this season has tried to be a bit too clever and getting wrapped up in the.. psychology of it? Or at least showing it too much, so the audience is seeing hallucinations, imaginations, dream sequences, repressed memories and tricks like that to make them think one thing is occuring while something completely different is happening.

• Like 1

A Series of Unfortunate Events

I consider it a moral imperative to attempt to dissuade you from watching it. Certainly, it is well crafted series with clever writing and interesting performances, but the story overall is so filled with gloom and despair as to render the value of those other things moot. If there exists within me deep and hidden within my soul any inclination to recommend this series, then believe me when I say that should only be viewed as further condemnation of it and the dark seed it has planted inside.

For your own sake and that of those who care for you that would hate to see you in despair, look away.

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

A Series of Unfortunate Events

I consider it a moral imperative to attempt to dissuade you from watching it. Certainly, it is well crafted series with clever writing and interesting performances, but the story overall is so filled with gloom and despair as to render the value of those other things moot. If there exists within me deep and hidden within my soul any inclination to recommend this series, then believe me when I say that should only be viewed as further condemnation of it and the dark seed it has planted inside.

For your own sake and that of those who care for you that would hate to see you in despair, look away.

Channeling Lemony Snicket, I see.  :)

It had some ups and downs. Some quite nice moments, and then others that made you go "what?"

I think in some ways this season has tried to be a bit too clever and getting wrapped up in the.. psychology of it? Or at least showing it too much, so the audience is seeing hallucinations, imaginations, dream sequences, repressed memories and tricks like that to make them think one thing is occuring while something completely different is happening.

Also, for me past two seasons have started to treat intelligence as superpower instead of something more grounded in reality.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Sherlock finale was a great example of a twist that makes a writer feel clever but an audience feel like said writer is a ****.

I thought it was a bad episode (not, mind you, that I'm all that crazy about the show; that said I enjoyed The Lying Detective without qualifications and there's few of these SHERLOCK episodes I can say that about).

Biggest problem IMO was the story could only happen the way it did because Sherlock is stupid and Mycroft is massively stupid.  But it tried to be clever and just really failed, IMO.  And the editing in of Moriarty on video was annoying to me as a viewer.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man