Howdy folks, first time posting here but I'm just looking for general input and advice. I'm doing my first PoTD run and I'm using classes I did t really use on any playthroughs so far. I didn't min max per SE but tried to keep a fairly even spread on some chars while making others much more focused on damage.

MC - Paladin (Goldpact Knight/Human)

I but him pretty evenly (considering faith and conviction) to be mostly a damage dealer while still being Sturdy enough to off tank.

2.) Paladin (Shield Bearer of St Helga/Moon Godlike)

Built as main tank/support.

3.) Chanter (Wild Orlan)- Built to be melee support and off tank.

4.) Rogue (Wood Elf)- built as glass cannon DPS. I really like rogues and have mained them in previous plays, so Im not really concerned about him.

5.) Druid (Wood Elf) - Built as DPS with thunder wild strike.

6.) Wizard (Wood Elf) - Built as crowd control.

I haven't faced any issues so far but everyone is level 3 except MC who is level 4. All initial quests done except for temple of eothas and lord of a barren land.

I'm curious if people think I will run into any trouble later on and if I should swap anyone? I can elaborate more if need be but I'm currently on mobile and out for the day with my girlfriend so it will be a bit before I can respond. Any criticism and general advice is appreciated.

I found that I didn't really need two tanks by simply having a ranger in the party. The animal companion adds the second "tank" (not really a tank but it keeps the enemies occupied and off the rest of the party.)  The ranger I play as a combo of ranged and melee... so she's usually in the front line but won't switch to melee unless it seems necessary to defend the ranged party members. I keep thinking how funny it would be to make a party of all rangers. 6 rangers and their 6 animal companions. (plus your main characters useless pet.) . .13 characters tromping around the country side.

My basic party was

Fighter (sword and shield)

Ranger

Rogue (ranged, war bow... Tiny little rogue with a great big bow... I just like the image in my head.)

Chanter (mainly using summoning spells and buffing chants... If all else fails, overwhelming the enemy with summoned critters usually works pretty well. Might be considered kind of cheesy)

Priest (I always have a priest.. I can't seem to build a party without one... Berath or Eothas.. your basic good guy priest.)

Cipher

I really like the cipher a lot. I enjoy taking spells that mostly just aid the fighter and I usually give the Cipher guns for some reason. I don't know why.. they seem cooler with guns.

In reality you could substitute Wizard or Druid just as easily for the sixth member depending on whatever your favorite class is... I enjoy not having to micromanage spells too much so I like the chanter and cipher.. lots of passive things going on that I don't have to worry about too much.

I've yet to create a barbarian or monk. Those classes never interested me in D&D and I guess that's just a left over influence. 

Edited by vyvexthorne

I don't like to hire mercs. NPC companions are decent somewhat for a PoTD run. A standard party composition is:

1 Tank/sturdy

1 Dps

1 Priest

2 casters

The last one can be whatever you like. IMO, having a druid & wizard & priest is a must. A cipher is also a good option to spam whispers. PoTD hardest enemies are casters and every mob that can disable your party members. So having different ways to deal with this is the most important part. The reason I don't like ciphers until late game is because wizards are better at disables. The druid can be also a good tank if build properly. If your MC is a paladin don't expect a lot of dps from this class. Until very late game paladins have mediocre DPS unless you build a second-line pikeman with dumped con & res.

Edited by indika_tates

IMO, having a druid & wizard & priest is a must

no . and story companions are nothing interesting , their builds are limited and their "story" part is shallow and doesnt make up for bad stats , id rather play with 6 interesting characters with interesting builds that i made myself , there are hundreds of builds in PoE that are worth trying and will be way more fun than listening to some crap lines companions have .

Edited by Blunderboss

no . and story companions are nothing interesting , their builds are limited and their "story" part is shallow and doesnt make up for bad stats , id rather play with 6 interesting characters with interesting builds that i made myself , there are hundreds of builds in PoE that are worth trying and will be way more fun than listening to some crap lines companions have .

Stop offering aloth n co to everyone they are trash 

Disagree. Of course if you play with the classical cheese build pack of 5 hirelings PoTD is a cakewalk. Try to play a PoTD run without a priest. And prepare your anus for the disabling fest. You can beat the game with NPC companions easily, and they add a lot of fun. I like them all, even Aloth. And his stats are not bad for a disabling wizard because you don't need MIG at all.

If you play with 5 recruited mercs, you are not playing PoTD. You are playing on easy mode. Everyone can choose their style but I suggest to give NPC companions a try. Some of them have very good stats (Kana, Zahua, Maneha). Others like Hiravias are very funny to have in the party, and his stelgaer shapeshift is very good. Having a party of mercs is not mandatory for PoTD. If you don't know how to use properly NPC's companion it's not NPC's fault. It's yours.

Edited by indika_tates
  • Like 1

Disagree. Of course if you play with the classical cheese build pack of 5 hirelings PoTD is a cakewalk. Try to play a PoTD run without a priest. 

I completed PoTD on Iron Man without priest while soloing what the hell you are on about ? What about u gtfo . I havent read your post further either .

You are full of ****  , im sorry to break it to you 

Mr. "Knowshowtocompanion" ...  Hiring Mercs and making interesting builds is what PoE is about , you talk about playing with companions and how you are pro at it , but then you said  having 3 major caster classes in one party is a must , hahaha , please wake up you can solo the game with any class on PoTD , However playing with Full party of Mercs does not make game automatically faceroll , and more to that Playing with Companions doesnt make the game hard it just makes the whole experience somewhat worse , especially if you are replaying the game , Playing with story companiontards once for the story is fine , but playing with them again is waste of time . 

Stating the obvious : OP ( the original poster) is replaying the game and he already has a custom hireling party but ofc you are too pro to read that right ? 

To answer Original Post :

No you wont run into any trouble that you could not deal with , considering you have no Priest for Immunities you might want to make sure you have scroll user who can cast same immunity spells via scrolls , also it might be wise to not fight any Fampyr until level 11 when you can make yourself immune to Mind Control via Scroll , other than that not bringing priest kinda gives more depth to use of consumables which can be quite interesting . You can also build one of your paladins to deal with Mind Control as you have 2 of them and paladins have some nice abilities for that , usually i dont find it worth it , while only running with one paladin .

Edited by Gfted1
Please do not circumvent the forum language filter.

What happen to you angry man? Do you have some kind of problem with your behaviour? Of course you are reported for your disrespectful post. Everyone can say freely his/her opinion and if I made one is because it fits my playstyle and it worked for me.

And that mean I can write it on this forums if I want. After all, he is free to take my advise or not, this is a discussion forum where the players share their ideas. But something is wrong with you. I've seen multiple of your posts insulting or behaving disrespectful with other players because you don't share the same opinion.

Take it easy. Insulting other users is not the way to go I think.

Edited by indika_tates
  • Like 1

I reckon you can take either a priest or paladin. I normally don't take priests, never liked them from my d&d days, and a paladin, Druid and chanter can pick up the slack. I must admit though, priests are incredibly useful, just not compulsory.

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Stop offering aloth n co to everyone they are trash 

Disagree. Of course if you play with the classical cheese build pack of 5 hirelings PoTD is a cakewalk. Try to play a PoTD run without a priest. And prepare your anus for the disabling fest. You can beat the game with NPC companions easily, and they add a lot of fun. I like them all, even Aloth. And his stats are not bad for a disabling wizard because you don't need MIG at all.

If you play with 5 recruited mercs, you are not playing PoTD. You are playing on easy mode. Everyone can choose their style but I suggest to give NPC companions a try. Some of them have very good stats (Kana, Zahua, Maneha). Others like Hiravias are very funny to have in the party, and his stelgaer shapeshift is very good. Having a party of mercs is not mandatory for PoTD. If you don't know how to use properly NPC's companion it's not NPC's fault. It's yours.

I agree.. especially since you can build story companions from the ground up simply by unchecking autolevel. You can pretty much make them as powerful as any companion you can build.. you just can't choose their starting stats so there's no min/maxing.  I find the game much more interesting and fun with the story companions. Building your own team is also fun but it definitely makes the game a bit more easy,,,you never have to worry about switching companions out and your team will all pretty much level up evenly.

gotta love how companiontard lovers are not into reading & thinking , and wont read the original post where nobody is mentioning a single story companion just hirelings , Please do READ .

MC - Paladin (Goldpact Knight/Human)
I but him pretty evenly (considering faith and conviction) to be mostly a damage dealer while still being Sturdy enough to off tank.

2.) Paladin (Shield Bearer of St Helga/Moon Godlike)
Built as main tank/support.

3.) Chanter (Wild Orlan)- Built to be melee support and off tank.

4.) Rogue (Wood Elf)- built as glass cannon DPS. I really like rogues and have mained them in previous plays, so Im not really concerned about him.

5.) Druid (Wood Elf) - Built as DPS with thunder wild strike.

6.) Wizard (Wood Elf) - Built as crowd control.

Why are you derailing this thread talking about companiontards ? Just a quick look at chosen characters and their races reveals that no companion is going to be used here . 

Using companions doesnt make the game hard or harder , they trashy builds are actually better for surviving potd most of the time because of sky high constitution and other defensive attributes on classes that could skip them entirely if they choose to go for more offense , you keep talking about min/maxing meanwhile min/max does not work since 10 patches ago , characters without defenses will be eaten alive by improved AI in no time , try playing on Iron man , Maim off , Knockout Injuries on , with 3 Con 3 Res and no Armor character , he will die and his soul will go back the wheel . And yet companion builds are just disgusting 13 RES on aloth makes me cringe every time thats simply 10 attribute points you can put anywhere else and not loose anything you know wizards can stack 75+40 Deflection from their self buffs right .

Edited by Blunderboss

I would recommend that you try a monk sometime.  As the game currently stands they're quite a nice class, especially if you load them up with retaliation.  Also, in my experience, potd is very hard on glass cannon characters.  There are too many mobs to tank effectively all the time, but that's personal experience.

• Like 2

I'm curious if people think I will run into any trouble later on and if I should swap anyone?

Almost everything is viable. Just don't forget to use the synergies between the classes and you'll be fine. E.g., use druid and wizard to cc and inflict debuffs, then rogue and other characters with baby sneak attack skill can easily wipe them up. IMO, gun rogue is perfect for killing enemy casters immediately at the fight start.

And yet companion builds are just disgusting 13 RES on aloth makes me cringe every time thats simply 10 attribute points you can put anywhere else and not loose anything you know wizards can stack 75+40 Deflection from their self buffs right .

... and you get a wizard which depends on said buffs to work properly. Companion builds are quite simply designed to be as generic as possible while sticking to themes given to them by their stories. It's really cool that we get a system in which such builds can work just fine, eh? But yes, this topic is not really supposed to be focused on story companions.