Newbie asking for help on Cards and deckbuilding

Hi all,

I am completely new to the game and learned the game by playing the tutorial and reading the rulebook. It learned me enough to get the game going but nothing about strategy, the (best) cards and deckbuilding.

I have looked on BGG, Paizo for some guides but couldn't find it. I have no D&D or RPG experience what so ever but I like the concept :)

Some examples I have problems with:

- Which cards I have to choose for a scenario. I know it depends on the scenario but some direction would be helpfull. e.g I get to choose between "Night Watch" (giving 1D10 on Perception) or "Standard Bearer" (giving 1d6 for non-combat Strength or Constitution): not knowing how important and often these check occur it makes it hard to choose.

- If I encounter a Boone I don't know when it worth to spend an extra die on it to get it or not. And if not for Kyra, it Might be good for Merisiel

Also, English not being my native language won't help either. 

Can someone please help me in directing to a beginner's guide on the core concepts ?

Thx

Robert

Hey there.

Allies -

1 x Troubadour and 1 x Standard Bearer are good Basic choices Kyra and Merisel. I think these are good choices, because they add to multiple stats and allow you to explore.

Weapons -

for Kyra grab 2x Maces

for Mersiel grab 2 x Crossbow

Only spend blessings, allies, codexes on weapons they can use. No swords, Longbows, Polearms as neither character is proficient with those weapons yet. Also be careful when using weapons as if your character is not proficient, you will get a penalty to your dice roll.

Spells -

For Kyra start with a mix of the following:

Cure x 1

Strength x 1 this helps to boost Kyra's combat skills

Choose either Inflict wounds (for combat) or Eloquence this helps on Diplomacy/Charisma checks

Only spend blessings, allies, codexes on divine spells as this is what Kyra can use (discard) and then possibly recharge.

Armour -

Give Mersiel Leather Armour

Give Kyra 2 x Chainmail

I wouldn't spend a blessing or ally on Armour.

Remember to hold on to Armour, so you bury it to reduce damage when fighting creatures that cause damage before a fight.

Items -

Give Kyra some thieves tools. When you encounter a barrier, discard them to defeat the barrier.

Mersiel 2x thieves tools. Mersiel will also discard these, but can then attempt to recharge them as well.

Also give Mersiel 1 X potion of fortitude, 1 X potion of glibness, 1 X potion of perception and 1 X Codex. These can be useful, but a lot of the time you will either recharge or discard them to Mersiels sneak attack power.

Blessings.

It is worthwhile to spend blessings, allies, codexes on acquiring Blessings.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Edited by Dunesparrow
  • Like 3

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pathfinder Adventure(s) (Card Game)! Some of your questions depend on the size of your party. You've probably noticed by now that no matter how large your part, you only have 30 turns to win the scenario. With 1 character, there are 30 cards in locations. 30 turns, 30 locations. You can take your time. With 6 characters, there are 80 cards in the locations. Granted, you don't have to encounter every card, since you can corner the villain. But it is generally true that the larger your party, the more you'll need to spend cards exploring more than once per turn.

RotR is combat heavy. Some of the barriers are even "friendly" like the Large Chest. Most of the "unfriendly" barriers (though by no means all) offer Dexterity as an option.

So, here are some general strategy tips. If you can't even get close to an average roll succeeding at the check to acquire a boon, spending resources on it just isn't worth it. As much as Kyra might want Holy Light, Valeros encountering it and needing your group to play 2 or 3 blessings might cost you the scenario. You have to learn to let it go. If you can recharge a card to add to a check (as opposed to discarding it) you might be more willing to make a risky shot at acquiring a boon.

In general, you want cards that add to the skills you have. Early on, it might be ok to have the Night Watch even if your character doesn't have the Perception skill (you'll get to roll 1d4 + 1d10 that way), but later, it won't be worth it. Try to get allies that compliment add to skills you have. 

Here are some of the "best" cards in the game that you can find in B, C or 1 (Treasure Chests will change this list). It is worth throwing resources at acquiring these cards:

Ranged Weapon: Deathbane Lightcrossbow +1

Item: Masterwork Tools

Item: Staff of Minor Healing

Divine Spell: Holy Light

Arcane Spell: Scorching Ray or Freezing Ray

Allies: Father Zantus (healing), Shalelu Andosana, Sheriff Hemlock, Sabertooth Tiger

Good luck on your adventure(s)!

Edited by 269Hawkmoon
  • Like 7

Hawkmoon covers pretty much everything I would have suggested (and on items- with Kyra/Merisiel, I was pretty happy to pick up two masterwork thieves tools, and kicking myself that I had a chance for a Staff of Healing, but unfamiliarity with the UI caused me to pass). For setting up initial decks, thieves tools are one of my favorites as they can allow characters to bypass most barriers encountered early on.

One item Hawkmoon left off that I'd urge to acquire is the Holy Candle. It allows you to shuffle 1d6 blessings back into the blessing deck. So, play it and get up to 6 more turns. It's not that big a deal when you're just using two characters, but fielding a 4-6 person group, it's very handy.

Hawkmoon covers pretty much everything I would have suggested (and on items- with Kyra/Merisiel, I was pretty happy to pick up two masterwork thieves tools, and kicking myself that I had a chance for a Staff of Healing, but unfamiliarity with the UI caused me to pass). For setting up initial decks, thieves tools are one of my favorites as they can allow characters to bypass most barriers encountered early on.

One item Hawkmoon left off that I'd urge to acquire is the Holy Candle. It allows you to shuffle 1d6 blessings back into the blessing deck. So, play it and get up to 6 more turns. It's not that big a deal when you're just using two characters, but fielding a 4-6 person group, it's very handy.

I don't know if you are familiar with the physical game, but in the app, the Holy Candle is banished when you play (as opposed to buried in the physical version). So, I'm not sure it is worth it. In the physical version, I'd totally agree. I've sacrificed winning a scenario to get Holy Candle. Twice I've taken it from Pit of Malfenshankor and suffered the consequences. Both times, none of the 5 other people I played with objected. They all supported my decision.

I kind of wish it wasn't so hard to acquire since it is now banished to use.

• Like 1

I'm using a Flame Mace + 1 on Kyra

I only have thieves tool. have yet to find the masterwork one. can in find it in the first set of scenarios?

It is a B item, so yes, you can possibly find it. But the locations are build randomly (i.e. if a location gets 3 items, it gets 3 random items), so there is no guarantee you'll run into it.

• Like 1

I don't know if you are familiar with the physical game, but in the app, the Holy Candle is banished when you play (as opposed to buried in the physical version). So, I'm not sure it is worth it. In the physical version, I'd totally agree. I've sacrificed winning a scenario to get Holy Candle. Twice I've taken it from Pit of Malfenshankor and suffered the consequences. Both times, none of the 5 other people I played with objected. They all supported my decision.

I kind of wish it wasn't so hard to acquire since it is now banished to use.

Ah, I hadn't seen it in the app yet, so yeah, I was going off of physical play. So, it's still nice, but yeah, not a must have.

The Pit is where I saw a Staff of Minor Healing. Hit the wrong thing, discarded all three, when I would have been fine collecting it.

Thx for your tima and extensive replies.

Although it gave me some directions I had hoped to get some general directions on adventuring/RPG, like

In general, you want cards that add to the skills you have. Early on, it might be ok to have the Night Watch even if your character doesn't have the Perception skill (you'll get to roll 1d4 + 1d10 that way), but later, it won't be worth it. Try to get allies that compliment add to skills you have. 

ands maybe an extensive guidebook  :w00t:

(I did the first 3 adventures on easy and could add cards/skills to my 2 party members  :no: : When I had to choose what kind of reward I wanted I just clicked something, not knowing what would be best ;( )

Nevertheless, the replies helped and I will adventure on to learn by playing, reading forums  (and maybe by finding an usefull guide).

Thx!

It's hard to find a guide to this game because of the nature of the game. You'll have people swearing Lini is OP and then others stating she is useless.

Everyone here has some good tips for you!

My advice, play through the game on normal youll start to get a feel for certain cards and certain combos. Once your feel more comfortable try playing on Heroic the scenario powers are harder and a wildcard is tossed in to mix things up. This will test your luck and your deck building skills..

• Like 1

Lini is OP.

Kyra and Ezren are Garbage!

Lini is definitely strong, although she may have trouble with combat at the start. She quickly matures into one of the best.

Kyra, I feel is more well-rounded than Lini. She's very good against undead, and is the only character that can defeat a certain henchman.

Ezren is one I'm actually very fond of. I wouldn't try to solo with him due to his lack of blessings. But, he gets a wide variety of arcane spells. He has the only d12 intelligence in the game (and I don't recall if everyone else tops out at d6, or if there is a d8 intelligence). In a spell-heavy area, he explores very well. I'm thankful for having him in my group whenever the Academy pops up.

• Like 2

any guides on levelling up skills/powers for each character? somewhat hesitant to progress the game since i'm scared of screwing up so i've been doing farming the 1st adventure for gold and trying to get 2nd masterwork tools and maybe shalelu andosana (i already have one masterwork tools and i put it on kyra, are you limited to 1 of it per party since the vault shows there's only 1 masterwork tools?)

is there a way to reset your stats this game?

• Like 1

Short ansver: no.

Long version: those prestige class powers Are quite powerfull so resetting your settings would allow very powerfull builds. Your best option is to make a new part and make new version of character with different build.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV
  • Like 1

any guides on levelling up skills/powers for each character? somewhat hesitant to progress the game since i'm scared of screwing up so i've been doing farming the 1st adventure for gold and trying to get 2nd masterwork tools and maybe shalelu andosana (i already have one masterwork tools and i put it on kyra, are you limited to 1 of it per party since the vault shows there's only 1 masterwork tools?)

At http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qmqz?Rise-of-the-Runelords-We-Need-a-Snapshot-of and http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2r81m?Rise-of-the-Runelords-We-Need-A-Snapshot-of , people have submitted their characters at the midpoint (completing deck 3 and getting the Role card) and after completing the game. Not an exact guide, but you can see what people have favored.

There are at least two Masterwork Tools in the game, but one of them might only be in the character add-on deck.

Regarding skill and power choice, first off don't worry about making a bad choice. The great thing about this game is you can always start up a new party later and choose different skills and powers (in addition to different cards you will find in a different game) to give yourself a different experience.

But in my opinion the best way to choose is to look at what skills and powers you are using.

Skill wise are you using weapons with Kyra (strength) or spells more (wisdom)? Those are probably the most popular choices but you might find you want a bonus in something like intelligence or charisma if you've been having trouble making rolls using one of those stats.

Merisiel uses dexterity a lot both for combat and for defeating barriers but same thing, you might prefer to take another stat if you've been easily making those rolls but having trouble with something else.

Regarding powers, same thing. Have you been using Merisiel's power that lets her recharge or discard a card for a combat bonus a lot? If so, +1 to that makes sense. Or you could take weapon proficiency so you could make use of dexterity based weapons that need that, like Longbows for example. Or if you're doing fine in combat so none of that seems particularly needed, you could take increased hand size so you have more cards available all the time (although be careful about increasing anyone's hand size too much because with more cards in hand, it's easier to go through your deck faster and run out of cards).

But overall just pick something that sounds useful and have fun. There's no real bad choices, worst case scenario you can try again later and pick something different.

• Like 1

I'll add that some of my favorite cards are those that let you look at cards in a location deck. Items like Spyglass and spells like Augury were mainstays in our duo run through the physical game (Seoni and Kyra). They can really help with planning your moves, and allow for more favorable skill to bane match-ups. It's also fun when you get lucky enough to divine the location of the villain without having to encounter it!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'll add that some of my favorite cards are those that let you look at cards in a location deck. Items like Spyglass and spells like Augury were mainstays in our duo run through the physical game (Seoni and Kyra). They can really help with planning your moves, and allow for more favorable skill to bane match-ups. It's also fun when you get lucky enough to divine the location of the villain without having to encounter it!

And a lot of "Cure".

Edited by LAntorcha

My advice would be, time permitting of course, to check out some playthroughs on youtube. Seeing an experienced player, even one who makes mistakes sometimes, talk through his rationale for deck-building choices and feat selection will help you see how all the different pieces of this game come together. You'll find a few video series (including my own :)) in the videos section of BGG:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/133038/pathfinder-adventure-card-game-rise-runelords-base/videos/all

I tend to focus on collecting boons rather than trying to win the scenario.  If I have to choose I'll go all in for a good spell or weapon rather than for enemies.   It can take me a few tries to get through a scenario but I end up with better cards.  After a scenario run, successful or not, I first dump extra cards from from characters to get to their limits and then go back through every character for every card type and and look to see if any of the 'available' cards are better than what is in the character's deck.  I feel like it took me a while to learn that upgrading your character takes place primarily through grinding for new cards rather than winning scenarios.

• Like 2

Add info you find/want to the Pathfinder Adventures wiki

Yes but I want a feature in PA to output a format for upload!

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

(Thanks to Longshot11)