I did both cipher with Lead Spitter + max DR reduction/penetration as well as wizard. Wizard also with Golden Gaze which has the same "problems" a blunderbuss has.

Of course a cipher has great focus gain with this setup, especially if he uses Body Attunement on an enemy first - but I have to say a wizard with Combusting Wounds, Expose V. and Citzal's Martial power is really good with a blunderbuss - it's a bliss. Since you can have those spells as mastery (except Martial Power of course) it's also great in the late game.

Martial Power + Envenomed Strike and Runner's is also cool by the way.

Rogue with this -DR stuff as well as Backstab is also very nice.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The problem is the reload for the blunderbuss.

That's why I have never built leadspitter like this. To me it seems like a waste to spend all those enchantment ingredients and Durgan ingots on a blunderbuss because you can only fire it once and then you have to wait for reload.

The Durgan and enchantment components would be better spent on items without a reload so they can utilise them more.

I hope this is fixed in deadfire. Firearms need an overhaul.

• Like 1

It depends (I know, I say that a lot ;) ).

If you have a really good blunderbuss like Silver Flash then it's worth it to retrain for max DEX, low recovery and reload with stuff like Gunner and other stuff like Swift Aim or Sure Handed Ila, depending on your class. Then enchanting makes really sense. This blunderbuss in particular is so good because the spell chance of Divine Mark (10% of hits/crits) counts for every pellet, raising your chance to 47% proc chance per shot. And it blinds with every shot. It's very good with a rogue because not only does a rogue like the blinding effect but he also likes it that Divine Mark (that statistically goes off every second shot) works with Deathblows. ;)

You are totally right though that it feels like a waste to durganize blunderbusses if you have a quickswitch build or so.

By the way in Deadfire the attack speed bonuses will also shorten reloading (not only recovery like in PoE1). So that's kind of a fix I'd say.

Edited by Boeroer

The problem is the reload for the blunderbuss.

That's why I have never built leadspitter like this. To me it seems like a waste to spend all those enchantment ingredients and Durgan ingots on a blunderbuss because you can only fire it once and then you have to wait for reload.

The Durgan and enchantment components would be better spent on items without a reload so they can utilise them more.

I hope this is fixed in deadfire. Firearms need an overhaul.

Agreed. It's hard to spend precious ingots for one shot per encounter. Durgan Steel should of had a different upgrade for the reload weapon types.

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Ehhh - one shot per encounter. :lol:

It's not that bad. What would you have done with durgan steel on a gun? Hm... maybe double barrel (like Twin Sting) or so?

Increase both reload/recovery? I admit I'm not certain what the fix could be and still be balanced... Devs got it tough sometimes...

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

No, it blinds the enemy. I think what you mean is Powder Burns (blinds the ranger) or Eldryn's Jacket (its Eyestrike spelldefense was bugged).

Here's a build description around it after a solo chanter PotD playthrough: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89315-class-build-the-gunslinger-potd-solo-guns-only-chanter/

I looked it up and you were partially right:

The [blind effect of the] gun uses a cone attack that targets all enemies/allies within the cone attack. I have written up a bug that a attack indicator should be added to the attack.

So yes, the blind has friendly fire, but you can avoid it. And no self-blind.

Edited by Boeroer

Maybe because it's the most obvious choice. ;)

After finally getting my hands on both Bittercut - as well as trying out a few Soulbound weapons - I have to agree with you.

And on the Soulbounds: I think you said people get them for their effects, not DPS. But even there I am not sure if it's worth it. I just tried Golden Gaze on my Blaster Wizard, and even with Exceptional (rather than Superior or Legendary) enchant, it seems to be doing a lot more than the Soulbound rod you get in Act II.

And I think you also mentioned that the Redeemer is another worthwhile Soulbound. But is it really? It's only 25 percent chance of killing vessel in 1 shot, and on average wouldn't Durganized double Bittercuts kill as quickly over a long run - absent a long anomalous streak? It's also a bitch to level, as I actually have to kill myself 5 times. (What the heck? Run my Paladin in there naked first?)

I have a few other Soulbounds, and they are just terrible. The only thing from the list I think truly worth getting may be Stormcaller, but I don't have the class that can best optimized it.

Ugh.

I said the Redeemer is hilarious with a barb who has Blood Thirst.

That's because he will hit multiple vessels with one strike (Carnage) - most likely triggering the destruction of a vessel. That will then set his recovery to zero... and so on. Groups of tough vessels just get obliterated.

I also think that the Golden Gaze is the best implement in the game - but still the soulbound scepter is also nice because it's the item with the highest ACC bonus in the game and it has a raw lash which is also great. On top of that it dominates quite frequently if you have Blast - which is a powerful CC effect. And last but not least the: +3 RES stacks with everything, also other gear that gives bonus to RES. With the leather armor Kerdhed Pames for example you can have +6 to RES which means +18 Concentration, +12 to will and +6 to deflection. Not bad for an implement use who likes to get close - like priests for example. And of course it needs no resources.

• Like 1

I said the Redeemer is hilarious with a barb who has Blood Thirst.

That's because he will hit multiple vessels with one strike (Carnage) - most likely triggering the destruction of a vessel. That will then set his recovery to zero... and so on. Groups of tough vessels just get obliterated.

I also think that the Golden Gaze is the best implement in the game - but still the soulbound scepter is also nice because it's the item with the highest ACC bonus in the game and it has a raw lash which is also great. On top of that it dominates quite frequently if you have Blast - which is a powerful CC effect. And last but not least the: +3 RES stacks with everything, also other gear that gives bonus to RES. With the leather armor Kerdhed Pames for example you can have +6 to RES which means +18 Concentration, +12 to will and +6 to deflection. Not bad for an implement use who likes to get close - like priests for example. And of course it needs no resources.

Ah, ok. So without a Barbarian, not even worth leveling it up then?

Golden Gaze is amazing. Even though I do not enjoy casters relative to melees, I may actually use a Superb or even Legendary ingredient on it!

Redeemer is OK on a Paladin if you don't have anything better to equip.  But usually you'll have something better to equip.

I'm not personally as enthused about Redeemer unless you're leveled above the Vessel.  If the Vessel(s) are a higher level than you, the "Destroy Vessels" procs as ~40 raw damage (or in that range), which isn't as fun :)  

• Like 1

Redeemer is OK on a Paladin if you don't have anything better to equip.  But usually you'll have something better to equip.

I'm not personally as enthused about Redeemer unless you're leveled above the Vessel.  If the Vessel(s) are a higher level than you, the "Destroy Vessels" procs as ~40 raw damage (or in that range), which isn't as fun :)

I have Bittercut and Resolution. I might go get Purgatory, but I want to finish getting Durgan steel first.

Redeemer is a very strong vs vessels even without leveling. There are many resistant vessels (animats, eyeless, undead, ...) which can be killed in 2-3hits with it.

But can't a dual wielder with 2 top-end weapons do the same - or at least in a similar time frame usually?

I have Bittercut and Resolution. I might go get Purgatory, but I want to finish getting Durgan steel first.

Redeemer is a very strong vs vessels even without leveling. There are many resistant vessels (animats, eyeless, undead, ...) which can be killed in 2-3hits with it.

But can't a dual wielder with 2 top-end weapons do the same - or at least in a similar time frame usually?

The best is to try it and judge by yourself... 

• Like 1

Ok, I stand corrected. Ancient Death Guards take forever to kill. But I already sold the Redeemer, and I think leveling it up will be too tiresome for me to buy it back though.