Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] The Gunslinger (PotD solo guns-only Chanter)

Chanter Guns Character Build PotD solo

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1024 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
“Say hello to my little friend!”

As a bit of a foreword, this build is designed to exclusively use guns with class abilities, even in the tough boss fights. I’ve yet to kill any of the really tough bosses (the Kraken, Adra or Alpine Dragons, Concelhaut, Llengrath) but all the bounties are completed as is the Radiant Spore and Sky Dragon, so being an impatient so-and-so I thought I’d post up the build and I’ll post up details of some of the tough bosses as I go along. I’m just at the Abbey of the Fallen Moon, so I’m also missing Gwyn’s Band of Union for the time being – but it will come shortly. I’ll post edits up here as I go when I get the big things killed off.

EDIT: All the bosses are now complete!

Gunslinger_zpsiq35potk.png

===================================
The Gunslinger
===================================
Difficulty: Expert PotD solo, no respec, with full upscaling
--------------------------------------------------------------
Class: Chanter
Race: Wild Orlan
Background: Old Vailia – Colonist
Starting attributes:

MIG: 10 
CON: 9
DEX: 18
PER: 12
INT: 19 
RES: 10

Final attributes:

MIG: 11/15 (Gift from the Machine, 15 with Maegfolc Skull)
CON: 10 (Rymrgand’s Boon)
DEX: 22 (Viettro’s Formal Footware)
PER: 15 (Elryn’s Jacket, Song of the Heavens)
INT: 26 (Forum resting bonus, Gwyn’s Band of Union)
RES: 10

Skill levels obtained: Survival 11 (Jack of Wide Waters, Rymyrgand’s Boon, Colonist), Mechanics 13 (Dungeon Delver, Gloves of Manipulation, Chanter bonus), Lore 11 (Chanter bonus, Viettro’s Formal Footware), Athletics/Stealth – who cares?

These levels weren’t really optimized, I was originally shooting for higher Survival aiming for Lore 8 – but then I quickly found out you really need Scrolls Against Imprisonment in WM part I, so it’s all a bit of a mess. However, I found these levels perfectly adequate for what I wanted to do.
Abilities and Talents:

Phrases:

1 – Come, Come Soft Winds of Death and At the Sight of their Comrades, their Hearts Grew Bold
3 – Blessed Was Wengridh, Quickest of His Tribe
5 – Sure-Handed Ila Nocked Her Arrows with Speed
7 – One Dozen Stood Against the Power of the Saint
9 – The Dragon Thrashed, the Dragon Wailed
11 – Choice (I went for Aefyllath, but I think Silver Knights’ Shields would be occasionally more useful)
13 – Her Courage Thick as Steel
15 – With All Your Strength Slay the Beast

Invocations:

1 – But Reny Daret’s Ghost, He would not Rest
2 – White Worms Writhed in the Bellies of the Dead
4 – Choice (I picked Hel-Hyraf, but rarely used it)
6 – At the Sound of His Voice, the Killers Froze Stiff
8 – Choice (I never got much use out of Shatter their Shackles, so I’d probably recommend The Lover Cried)
10 – Seven Nights She Waited While the White Winds Wept
12 – The Brideman Slew Thirty 'Fore they Crossed Half the Hall
14 – The Bride Caught their Ruse and Set to Make them Pay
16 – Called to His Bidding, the Ancient Instruments of Death

Talents by level:

2 – Veteran’s Recovery (can pick Ancient Memory with the 3.04 fix)
4 – Gallant’s Focus 
6 – Gunner 
8 – Envenomed Strike 
10 – Penetrating Shot 
12 – Bear’s Fortitude
14 – Deep Pockets
16 – Snake’s Reflexes

Additional talents:

Gift from the Machine
Song of the Heavens
Rymrgand’s Boon
Second Skin 
Dungeon Delver 

Weapons and Equipment (listing only new enchantments):

Weapon set 1: Silver Flash (Legendary, Durgan-Refined, Freezing Lash)
Weapon Set 2: Pliambo per Casitàs (Superb, Durgan-Refined, Slaying (Vessel), Corrosive Lash)
Boots: Viettro’s Formal Footware or Boots of Speed when needed
Armor: Elryn’s Jacket (Legendary, Durgan-Reinforced) or Starlit Garb (Superb, Durgan-Reinforced, +2 Perception)
Neck: Cape of the Master Mystic
Belt: Looped Rope
Rings: Ring of Protection and Gwyn’s Band of Union 
Hands: Gauntlets of Accuracy
Head: Arret Munacra or Maegfolc Skull

You can maybe throw in Ilfan Byrngar's Solace with your fist for when you’re being stunned (no other weapons to live up to the gun-only archetype) but whenever I switched to it while stunned I still got beat down so in the end I didn’t bother.

---------------------------------------------------------------
I was going to break this into individual sections using the spoiler tags so people only have to look at sections they wanted to, but apparently the forum only puts the first paragraph of a section inside the tags  :getlost: So sorry for the horrendous length of the post, I've put the different topic titles in a nice lurid red so you should be able to spot them easily enough through scrolling. I will however keep the first point in spoiler tags for suspense...

EDIT: Turns out I got the spoiler tags working after all.

Why would you want to play this build?
Spoiler

Why is the Silver Flash so neat?

Spoiler

Class choice:

Spoiler

Race, attribute, equipment and talent choices:

Spoiler

When the build was tested, what worked and what didn’t?

Spoiler

Different act equipment and chant/invocation advice:

Spoiler

Changes for party play:

Spoiler

Big bosses:

Spoiler

So there we have it, I hope this has been interesting and demonstrated another sweet gun build (and the only solo one) is possible. Let me know if you have any advice or changes to suggest or if you want me to clarify anything, and I’ll try to catch any typos I’ve made later. Cheers!

Edited by Jojobobo, 05 October 2016 - 01:48 AM.

• anameforobsidian, chickenhed, grausch and 4 others like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6586 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Great! I love the combination of blinding + Dragon Thrashed + immune animated weapons in solo run. Never thought about that. Blind is such a powerful debuff.

Only yesterday I was thinking about how to raise a chanter's ACC (and how to lower enemies' defenses) for better The-Dragon-Thrashed-hits. Besides the obvious Killers Froze Stiff or scrolls nothing useful came to my mind.

Should also work nicely with any party.

By the way I'm currently doing a playthrough with your paladin-prince-charming and the barb supertank (shield, frighten, fatigue, Stalwart Defiance and so on) and it works really well. Will post both builds (besides one or two others) after finishing off Thaos. There I will def. mention that those are your inventions that I merely playtested. The idea of Sworn Enemy + Charming alone is not enough to "fill" a whole paladin build. So I added some tweaks here and there. ;)
  • Jojobobo likes this

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1024 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Cool, look forward to seeing the builds once you've posted them up! I've still got the BioShock Collection I'm waiting to play so I'll likely be taking a bit of a hiatus from Pillars after I've completed this build fully anyway.

With regards to the Barbarian build, something I had a bit of a brainwave about was using the Executioner's Hood. With it, you'll have a sickening aura and frightening aura at the same time - and while the frightening aura comes in at -10 accuracy the sickened debuffs will by 14 so it actually hits with slightly above base accuracy. I'm not 100% sure if this is worthy competition for the Maegfolc Skull with its Might boost, but Coup de Grace isn't exactly a bad effect (especially when paired with Purgatory and the Dragon's Maw for more endurance recovery as you mentioned) and the hood looks extremely cool (particularly with an Orlan so you get glowing red eyes) in addition to being a non-standard item pick - perfect for an intimidating badass. It might be worth considering, as I said it's hard to say whether it outcompetes other headgear.

Edited by Jojobobo, 26 September 2016 - 10:50 AM.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts
A very interesting concept... Good to see a new, fresh class concept rather than the fine tuning of known concepts... Sweet build anyway. :)
  • Jojobobo likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6586 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

With regards to the Barbarian build, something I had a bit of a brainwave about was using the Executioner's Hood.

Right! I also thought about that combo. Once I have the hood, I will retrain and skip both yells/shouts that I currently use. Then there's room for Frenzy (just too good for HoF and fortitude defense and my deflection is already very high) and Threatening Presence. Coupe de Grace is guaranteed with HoF.
  • Jojobobo likes this

Slack83er

Slack83er

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

Is this meant to ONLY play solo and PotD or can it be adapted to parties and other difficulties? It's a solid and seemingly fun to play character...would like to test it...

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6586 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
If it's viable for solo it's also viable for party play. This one's no exception - you just shouldn't hit your party members with the blind effect, so it could make positioning and targeting a bit tricky.
  • Jojobobo likes this

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1024 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

As Boeroer said it can be used in any difficulty and/or party play. I make a mention of what you can do differently for party play (e.g. use the Chanter as an off-tank on the front line, paired with a full tank with Crossed Patch, and some people to take advantage of reflex debuffs) so I'd try that.

What you need to be aware of is that you only get Silver Flash late game (I got it after 50 hours of play, but that was before fully completing every task and quest Act II, getting down to the Adra Dragon, and completing all quests and tasks in WM part I - so you should be able to get it sooner if you prioritise it). In light of this you could maybe build your Chanter as a standard tank, then respec at an inn when you get the gun - as mentioned I didn't use respecing because I'm a bit of a masochist.

I'd say regardless you need to have a high level of perseverance to enjoy the build with the weapon coming so late, it's not one of those builds with an early and immediate pay off and I designed it more or less to have a decent and viable firearms build (a weapon I always love in high fantasy games) when many ranged builds are focussed primarily on DPS. I'm perfectly used to waiting late game for a pay off (in Arcanum for example you can get a blessing in the penultimate dungeon that gives you loads skill points, thereby saving you putting points in those skills so long as you hold out allowing you to spend them on other skills or attributes. This also means loads of quests become available after you get the blessing because of the boosted skills, but as mentioned it is the penultimate dungeon - way, way late game - still it's something I do on that game quite regularly). Basically, be aware of what you're getting yourself in for if you choose the build.

EDIT: Got those damnable spoiler tags working on the paragraphs now, they need to be (obviously replace with appropriate square brackets):

(spoiler)

Text(/spoiler)

And not:

(spoiler)Text(/spoiler)

Normally on other forums it's worked fine either way.

Edited by Jojobobo, 30 September 2016 - 12:19 AM.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts
Thank you guys, I'll take it into account. Maybe if I don't play PotD the build pays off a little earlier since you can use some not so exceptional weapons..
  • Blades of Vanatar likes this

Slack83er

Slack83er

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 555 posts

I tried to play with him... seems difficult enough when you're on your own... which weapon/shield should he use until he grabs the good guns? I'd try playing party, so I guess Invocations and all should remain the same... Don't know how to build it to last until he becomes the REAL gunslinger...

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1024 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It works just fine as it is with a little patience, however standard tank Chanter would work fine if you don't want to wait and then just retrain at an inn. Go for high Might, high Int, dump Dex, then put the rest into Con/Per/Resolve as you feel like - I quite like Per given it makes your chants more accurate, but Con and Resolve would be more use on the front lines.

Use whatever shield you like, you can't really go wrong, and honestly you can use whatever weapon you like too. If you're going full tank, hatchets can be used to up your deflection to an even greater extent - relying on your chants for damage. Healing abilities and items are certainly useful, things like Ancient Memory, Beloved Spirits and Veteran's Recovery - these are less useful late game so you can again retrain them out.

Have fun.

• Slack83er likes this

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1024 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I updated this bad boy with strategies for all the final boss fights, so you can now consider the build totally complete. It's my first and only completion of the game so far!

Now that I've finished the endgame (with the first post I'd played up to Abbey of the Fallen Moon and hadn't completed any of the dragons, the Kraken or Concelhaut) I've got a bit of a better awareness of the strengths and weaknesses, so I'll sum them up. If you also look in the Adra/Alpine Dragon guide bit, there's also a decent rundown of buffing which I described a little lazily beforehand in terms of tackling the bosses.

Strengths:

Spoiler

Weaknesses:

Spoiler

In terms of the Top 10 Toughest Fights for the build from hardest to easiest, I'd say it's:

Spoiler

In terms of party play, one thing that might be fun to do with the build is pair it to a Chanter tank with Crossed Patch. The tank uses Dragon Thrashed and casts Bride and Brideman on gunner, allowing for the much more effective chaining of blind - particularly if you opt for Sure-Handed Ila on the gunner over more Dragon Thrashed. Something to think about anyway, should be a fun way to use the Gunslinger if you're not opposed to using two Chanters instead of one.

I think that's about all there is left to say about the build, hopefully now with this added discussion and talk of the boss fights the picture behind it is much more detailed. Now, onto another solo build!

Edited by Jojobobo, 06 October 2016 - 01:32 AM.

• chickenhed likes this

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I know it's an old thread, but I just wanted to say thank you for this build.  It's hellaciously effective once you get Silver Flash.  I just beat Llengrath solo on PotD with it.

Here are some things I did slightly differently or some general tactics with the build:

- For most of the game I've been wearing Ryona's Armor.  The triggered immunity is very useful against high damage elemental attacks, especially against Eyeless beams.  You are slower, but then again you don't really do most of your DPS through direct attacks.

- This build is great at kiting.  I frequently start bounties with a 1:1 Wendigrath, Dragon.

- I switched out seven nights for the ogres.  The ogres are probably the most useful spell in the game right now, and they're a fairly necessary counterpoint to Ancient Instruments.  When enemies can hit Ancient Instruments, they get wiped out pretty quickly.  The ogres can take a lot of punishment.  Additionally, they make mid-game much, much, much easier.

- Magran's Faithful did suck.  I'm not sure, but I think I might have aggroed some nearby mobs to help.  

- Her Courage Thick as Steel is really useful as a way to start fights.  Basically it buffs those tough little beetles so they can take another hit each.  In the right situation that can be three hits, which is normally enough to get to the Ogres or close to the weapons.  For tougher fights I go: Courage 1 : Dragon 4.

- This build excels at long, drawn out fights.  For some of the tougher bounties I would fight nearby mobs and use them to get my chants up and the drag an animated weapon over to start the next fight while the last one was ending.  This was especially useful for SSerkal.

- I didn't enchant Pliambo with vessel slaying.  This was really helpful later on.  The dragon slashed and animated weapons work fine on the Eyeless.

- The Llengrath fight took me three or four hours, far more than any other fight.  The strategy I won with was this:

Wait for a second and then confuse the acolyte.  He makes the fight a lot harder.  The dragons munch him down in seconds.  This may or may not work.  Run to the top right and buff.  Summon Concelhaut.  Have him smash Turi.   Hit the clustered dragons/ mobs with paralyze.  Llengrath is immune, but just ignore her.  Get close for Dragon Slashed, use some envenomed strikes, generally wreck stuff in the six or so seconds you have.  Run away leaving some very angry dragons with Concelhaut, his parasitic staff will make him last surprisingly long; go all the way to the bottom.  Llengrath will reliably give up if you're far enough away and go back to the middle.  After this, move around the outside in a horseshoe shape.  Hug the edges to keep Llengrath out of the fight.  Use confusion on mobs only if there are no summons out; enemies prioritize summons, thus wasting confusion.

To end the fight use crushing doom and paralysis to split the dragons.  The larger the split the better.  If you keep a mob near them, they'll fight the mob and may give up like Llengrath and just stand there after it's dead if you're far away.  I got lucky and split Gafaconeros off; he's weaker, but his damage is more consistent and harder to avoid.  Then I went back to Turisulfus, and he's much easier as a single dragon.  Spread the weapons around him, shoot with pliambo, and come close when Dragon Slashed is going to hit.

• I also had Duc's Meatloaf so that you get the might bonus after the Dragon Dish wears off.
  • Gwynn's Band was replaced by the Ring of the Changing Heart.   The resolve is nice, but I was really after the dominate.  Gafaconeros can be dominated for five seconds, which coincidentally is enough to kill Llengrath.  It gave me a nice breather.
  • Both Dragons are weak to Paralyze, Gafaconeros exceptionally so.  I brought 10 scrolls and used 9.  This let me safely get close to both for The Dragon Slashed.  I got rid of healing items to do so.  I kept the one scroll that boosts lore for this fight, which made paralysis even better.
  • I kept an adra beetle for if I ever got cornered.  I used it halfway through the fight and it saved my bacon.  I would have prefered the Ogre Horn, but that hasn't worked right this playthrough.  This is a situation where defenses and HP count more than multiple hits, so he was the best for the job.
  • My boss build has mechanics and survival lower with lore and athletics higher.  Athletics is really useful for an emergency heal after you separate yourself.
  • I ditched snake's reflexes for Beast Slaying.  If I respeced for every boss, I'd ditch penetrating shot too.
  • I kept on the cape of the master mystic, but that was mostly inertia.  It didn't seem to make a huge difference either way.
  • I enchanted Pliambo with Beast Slaying and used it.  I was having a problem where blind wasn't lasting long enough for me to chain it, and the gun was doing no damage.  While disoriented is not as good a debuff it lasts longer.  With both beast slaying on the gun and character I would occasionally get shots for 90 or so damage.  10% of their health is fairly substantial.
  • Similarly, enchant Starlit Garb with corrode resistance.  Gafaconeros did more damage to me, so the corrode resistance made a noticeable difference.

Alright, three bounties to get and then on to Thaos.

dolamoth

dolamoth

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts

Hello, I am just now starting out with this build and would like to point out that getting the bronze horn in act I is now a bit more difficult as it costs 6k gold. I am making my way through, but I was wondering if there are any other items I could use to help me out, especially in closed off tiny rooms, e.g bear cave, spore cave etc.

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I had heavier armor on in the early game, and the caves were still tough.  You can split pull the sporelings though by sneaking, getting their attention, and then moving back quickly.  I used a wendigrath I: winds I to give me that running boost.  I believe was able to only fight two that way, which was still hard, but much easier.  I think you need the horn as a sacrificial summon though.  Any single sporeling should have all the spores you need for the quest.

If you want money, the best place to get it is raedric's castle.  If you can make it past the guards on the parapet, fine weapons and armor are just lying around.  There's enough money in the first chapter for the horn and the blunting belt.  The cathedral is doable relatively early, you just have to take it slow.

Also, invest in stealth early on.  5 stealth means that you can skip the throne room fight in Caed Nua.  Go up, talk to the statue, drop a summon, run to the stairs.  Then respec.

Edited by anameforobsidian, 18 June 2017 - 04:49 AM.

dolamoth

dolamoth

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts

Hello thank you for the advice it helped out. I am now in the first level of the mines under The Battery, and I am not capable of beating the ghosts that spawn when I try to take the key from the dead dwarf's body to unlock the workshop. I get instantly stun lock and pulled into several groups of more stun locking ranged spectres.

dolamoth

dolamoth

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts

Ah never mind they stopped instantly pulling once I summoned the 3 beetles although they didn't pull the beetles either, the AI can be a bit hard to give the right feedback sometimes.

dolamoth

dolamoth

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 4 posts

Ok this time It truly is a problem that I can't overcome. I am on the alpine dragon and I simply can not do enough damage to him. The lowest I can get him is injured and for a second very injured but that's it. I am level 16 have silver flash am buffed and so on, the living weapons don't seem to be able to really anything. Dragon thrash does work, it just doesn't seem to be enough to overcome his health regen.

Redblood

Redblood

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts

Only yesterday I was thinking about how to raise a chanter's ACC (and how to lower enemies' defenses) for better The-Dragon-Thrashed-hits. Besides the obvious Killers Froze Stiff or scrolls nothing useful came to my mind.

I made some test and the + 15 acc vs wilder end primordial of a boreal dwarf ( hunter's instinct ) stack with the dargon trashed, the dragon wailed.

It could be some kind of apprentice dragon hunter ( i mean Xaurip made their nest around dragons, and ogres ( dwarf friends according to age of wonder  :yes:  ) are good againts dragon).

Crit on adragan are good too.

Teldurn

Teldurn

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This week, I came back to this game after a year and a half break. I want to have a go as a chanter, and the idea of a gunslinger seemed very interesting. 

How would this build change if you considered that I'm going to play on normal and with a full party?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chanter, Guns, Character Build, PotD, solo

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users